CHBA Health Discount Program / no discounts, no communication, no refund

6034 Island RoadMelrose, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 352-475-1543

I was contacted by phone by CHBA. In fact they called me so many times but I ignored them.
I had looked into health insurance but then I didn't want to be contacted and avoided calls. Whoever had called before gave up.
I finally answered one of their calls. It was on my cell. I am sure they only could have gotten the number from my inquiries about health insurance but of course they did not offer insurance and they told me on the phone it was not insurance. They also told me the first payment could not be refunded.
I felt I needed some health coverage and I thought this discount program would help me with medical care for my diabetes, heart disease and even optical and dental.
When I got my card I went to a drug store and they told me using the card would cost me more. I didn't understand that. I got the same response from my doctor when I needed to get a stress test to take a strenuous course at a gym. Knowing just a little I thought I would have to pay the greater payment then file with the company and get a refund or something.
I never got that far with the process.
The abundance of material about what the program did and how to deal with the program confused me.
Time passed. I kept trying to figure out the thing. I went to their website. I always find legitimate companies have some sort of support at their website. I usually use e-mail to deal with companies I am having difficulty with. CHBA's website's email did not work. I couldn't send with the e-mail address.
I remembered a number to call and finally I called it, months into my subscription and it referred me to the website. Well, that really upset me because I knew how useless the website was except to tell me which doctors were included in their networks. The included doctors in the networks did not seem to think much of the network and they had no help to offer in how to process my discounts although I only went to one, my personal family doctor who was listed, if my memory serves.
Anyway, being unable to get through via the number they offered I wrote to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs which referred me to the Florida Department of Financial Services, Bureau of Education, Advocacy and Research.
FDOFS told me that CHBA claimed all money was honestly earned and refused a refund of any sort much less the full refund I desired. My credit card had been debited for over $800 by that time. The only good news was that they would cancel my subscription.
For a long time, at least one month, I was taken in by their certificate claiming that if I did not save as much as I spent they would give a free year of service. I didn't understand that if I didn't know how to use the service I would never get any service. I was never able to communicate with any one in the association after I purchased the program. Only through the FDOFS was I able to get anay satisfaction whatsoever.
Another assertion that makes one hesitate to take action on the subscription is CHBA's claim to be non-profit. You wonder why a non-profit should want to take advantage of you.

Comments

Jd
  7th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the same problems with that company. They weren't helping me with any bills and when I went to try and cancel I couldn't get in touch with anyone and another premium was taken out of my account before they responded to me. I was doing more research to get some insurance being that I am a diabetic there was no real insurance program for me to obtain. Then I got in contact with an agent at Quick Quote US and they were able to help me obtain a Mini-Medical plan through ICAN and I received a certificate of insurance in the mail so I knew I had finally found myself a real Insurance product. There are other options out there for people to get a real insurance product regardless of being denied everywhere else except for discount plans.
Am
  2nd of Feb, 2009
I had the same problem instead the guy who sold me the never said that this is just a saving plan but instead he pitched me that its an family health insurance for so cheap after that when i received my information pack i found out that this is not a health insurance but its a saving plan and they would not refund anything this company is a total fraud company. Please never fall for this people again they are a bunch of fakers making calls and committing fraud very responsibly so they don't get in trouble.
Ed
  20th of Feb, 2009
I would like to add that I am quite sure that the phone number they gave me referred me back to their website which had an insufficient e-mail. I was unable to send e-mail.
They told Alex Sink of the Florida Dept. of Financial Affairs that they had a number that I could reach them at and therefore they had earned their money honestly.
My word, is it so difficult for an honest business to set up an honest website? I communicate all the time with businesses by e-mail. There are often electonic forms where you can file complaints and there are live chat rooms where you can speak with a representative. I was so confused and befuddled by the information I was sent and the fact that when I showed their card to the pharmacy or the doctor inevitably I had to pay MORE, that I needed a website that was INTERACTIVE.
I called the number once. It referred me back to the website. That upset me.
But there should have been a lot more available through their website like the ability to talk to a personal representative of the business.
Th
  25th of Feb, 2009
I was contacted by a rep via the internet as well as a phone call selling me their plan. I was told that this was a non profit company and that what i was buying was Major Medical Insurance coverage. The agent explained to me that the low cost premium quoted was due to the fact that i was helathy and their non profit status. As i discussed the plan details with the agent i asked several times that this was INSURANCE AND NOT A SAVINGS PLAN. Each time i was assured that this was not a discounted or savings plan.

I received my information in the mail and was shocked to learn that not only did i receive a discount plan but also noticed that i could cancel the plan within 10 days but would not recieve a refund of my money. It is an outrage that i fell for this strong armed tatic when i was most vulnerable, i.e., uninsured and looking to purchase insurance for my family.

In the age of the internet and the tools available to research companies before hand, i did not. The one time that you try and have faith in mankind and expect people to be honest and truthful, i get screwed. For all who want to know about this scam company who are worst than Jesse James and Enron ever were, feel free to contact me so i can prevent others from losing your hard earn cash.
Th
  25th of Feb, 2009
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
St
  3rd of Mar, 2009
I think that health insurance is something very important to every individual... Unfortunately the health industry is a business, they do not look out for the well being of the person, just how much money they can make off you. I did not have insurance but I did sign up for the CHBA plan and it worked great. I used to have to pay full price when I didnt have insurance, they saved me lots of money and it clearly states on the material I recieved ... "THIS IS NOT A HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN" Maybe you people complaining should take time out to read or look into something before giving out your financial information and waiting for a miracle! Come on now.. it doesnt seem like a recession when so much people are just willing to give away hundeds of dollars and dont know what the hell its for ... It's 2009 - Get Real!!!
Mo
  18th of Mar, 2009
CONFUSE WITH CHBA COMPANY'

WHY THIS COMPANY SETUP WEBSITE AND DIFFERENT PHONE # AND RUNNING VERY BIG FRAUD THEY DON'T GET TROUBLE IN THIS CONTRY LIKE USA. ? THE POLICE MUST TAKE THIS PROBLEME TO HELP THE PEOPLE
Jp
  23rd of Mar, 2009
i think i just lost my money becouse i a recived a call fron this company and i need it isurance, but they never say it was just a saving card now i have to change my account ..
Jp
  23rd of Mar, 2009
what came i do to qet my money back, hwo do i need to contact to .. please help me...john
Ch
  24th of Jun, 2009
I sincerely suggest that you all contact Attorney General in your home state and file a complaint.
Nb
  2nd of Feb, 2010
Your comments and concerns are extremely important to us at Consumer Health Benefit Association. We have been in business since 2003 and we are constantly striving to improve our benefits and services. Your input helps us to do this. The job of our enrollment team is to provide you, our consumer, with as much information about our product as necessary for you to make a well-informed decision. To protect both you, and our enrollment team, the enrollment agent and potential member must go through the verification process of the call during which the potential member must clearly state he/she understands the benefits of the plan. This part of the call is recorded and listened to by several departments within the company before a sale is considered “final”. We stand behind our product and policies and customer satisfaction has always been our number one priority. If you are dissatisfied please call us at 877-215-2071 and ask to speak with our Customer Service Department so we can resolve your situation. We also welcome any comments, concerns, or suggestions you have regarding your experience with Consumer Health Benefits.
Class action...
  24th of Aug, 2010
Class Action!!! I have been tryingto get a procedure completed since December of 2009 it is now August 2010 and I sill cannot get anyone on the phone, nor have anyone responded to my fax or several left messages.
  24th of Aug, 2010
When you email for information you are called daily to join, once you join you cannot get incontact with no one, it seemd like a scam!!!