Chase Visa / overcharge dispute

Like others complaining about Chase Visa, I too pay my balance regularly. I use the card for everyday expenses to take advantage of the perks. Nonetheless, my wife and I spend modestly. However, over the past year we have found how inept and incompetent their customer service, if you want to call it that, is.

I needed assistance with an overcharge dispute of over $1500. I contacted Chase immediately in November 2007 and was advised to dispute the charges and was sent the proper paperwork. Four months later I contacted them to check on any progress and was told that it looked as if I were at fault. The Customer Service representative recommended I challenge the charges again, my information was updated and the paperwork sent again. I resubmitted in April 2008 and seven months later received a letter stating that my case was closed because I couldn't be reached for additional information. What? Once again, we pay our balance every month and my info was on the paperwork.

I spoke to yet another person, this time in the dispute department. He said I waited too long to dispute the charges and, even with my file "on the computer in front of him, " he had no record that I had submitted my paperwork 11 months prior. When asked why I hadn't been contacted for the necessary information he said that there was an attempt made by phone. One attempt. I sent him the original submission from 2007, by now for the third time. Two weeks later, just in time for Christmas, we were notified that he spoke to a person at the company that overcharged me and their billing person found no error in billing. Apparently, they'll take anyone's word over their customer's.

Needless to say, my wife and I spent several hours not only dealing with the company that overcharged us, but with Chase who we assumed was taking care of their customers. Instead we lose, while they let the dispute languish.

Oh well, at least it wasn't identity theft. I just wish they'd stop sending us credit card offers for our business.

Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank Logo Chase Bank / JPMorgan Chase Bank