Chase Manhattan Bank / cashing savings bond

1 51 W 51 St StNew York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: (212) 408-4348

I tried to cash in my savings bond at this location. When I went through their customer service, they automatically asked if I had an account. When I said no, they asked if I wanted to open one but I declined. I was told to wait. It took about 10 mins to get someone to help me when I can see that everyone that was working there were available. Finally someone approached me to make the long story short. They wanted me open an account with them before cashing in the savings bonds that I have and when I decline they asked what bank do I have and maybe I should just go to my bank which is located in jersey. ###! I read that any banks can cash in your savings bonds with or without an account . BUt for some reason Chase wouldn't do it because I don't have an acct with them.

Ap

Comments

• Va
      30th of Jan, 2007
    Chase Manhattan Bank - Charging for services that supposed to be free!

Each month Chase is charging service fees on an account that is suppose to be free. They are charging bill payment fees to my account when I use my debit card.

• Su
      21st of Dec, 2011
    Chase Manhattan Bank - Release of lien
    Chase Manhattan Bank

I have purchased a car from a person who has paid off their loan and has called 2 times to get a release of lien. They tell him it will be mailed and nothing comes. I need to get this car registered NOW.

I would like a letter fax to the DMV releasing the lien.

• Ki
      20th of Jun, 2013

From www.treasurydirect.gov:

You can cash paper EE/E Bonds at many local financial institutions. We don't keep a list of banks that redeem bonds, so check with banks in your area.

What will I need to redeem a paper bond?

Before taking in the bonds to redeem them, it's usually a good idea to check with the financial institution to find out what identification and other documents you'll need. When you present your paper bonds, you'll be asked to show your identity. You can do this by

being a customer with an active account open for at least 6 months at the financial institution that will be paying the bonds, or

presenting acceptable identification such as a valid driver's license if the redemption value of the bonds is less than $1, 000.

If you are not listed as the owner or co-owner on the bond, you'll have to show that you are entitled to cash in the bond.