Chase Home Finance / tax escrow compounding shenanigans

1 CA, United States Review updated:

After unsuccessfully attempting a mortgage modification, Chase saw fit to compound our property tax payments into our monthly payment. Per public records, our property tax is approximately $20k per year; Chase has seen fit to impound $4786/month, or $45k- twice the amount due on our tax bill. Chase 'customer service' says it can't help, talk to the Escrow department; the Escrow department does not have public telephone numbers so I am pursuing other avenues to get this resolved. If I can without resort to a law suit of some sort, which IMHO I believe may be the only way to get their attention. This has been going on now for months and months. (Of course, if you don't pay exactly what the statement says, Chase puts the payment into 'suspense' and hits your credit with a 30 day late charge. Just wonderful.)

Don't use Chase or recommend anyone to use them-- for loans, banking, cards, whatever.

Comments

• Wh
      18th of Dec, 2010

Why not just pay the taxes yourself then provide them with proof that you paid?

• Ta
      29th of Dec, 2010

because chase had paid the taxes before they were due. chase had no right to pay the taxes on a non escrow account before they are delinquent, but they will make up excuses for doing so. while you are fighting to not pay the escrow, chase is preparing to foreclose on your home. this is happening to many of chases clients. this is a way for chase to foreclose but make it look legal. chase also knows that while the client struggles to pay the payments, they will not afford a good lawyer to take such a case against them.

• Ta
      29th of Dec, 2010

If anyone has a lawyer or a good suite against Chase for the forced tax escrow, please let us know. We are about to lose our homes to them. We will fight to keep what we have worked so hard to hold on to. Chase watches and waits for any little window of opportunity to take from us. Their employees are mindless robots, programed to stick to the manuscripts or they have a puppeteer over their shoulder telling them what to say next. The cowardly puppeteer refuses to jump on the line to speak directly to you. Apparently, they allow their robots to run rampantly alone in their building because of the hundreds of times we have called, there is never a manager, supervisor nor owner available. Its no wonder they have been illegally foreclosing, they have no supervision. Then JP steps up and says that they just have too many issues and not enough manpower to accommodate each case?!...Bulls**t!! !! We need a lawyer who is capable and willing to fight against them without payment til the end...when we win!!!

29th of Dec, 2010

Call this number and explain your situation and that you need to talk to someone who knows what they are doing.
    Lisa Leschon
    Executive Customert Service
    1-888-622-7547 x 6711

29th of Dec, 2010

That number was posted on "The consumerist" website

• Hi
      3rd of Jan, 2011

I am in the same situation. I sent in my property taxes on time, and it was showed it was paid, but then my check was never cashed. Finally, I called the County Tax Collector, and they told me it was paid by Colvita Mortgage. When I asked who the heck that was, the clerk at the tax office said "That is Chase". Chase has set up Shell Companies to buy tax liens and pay on your property tax before it is due. They set up the shell companies so no one will know who where it is coming from. When I called Chase and asked them why they did this, the goof on the line said it is part of the modification process. To which I replied "great, that means I am getting a modification". To which the goof replied "No, just part of the process". They legally cannot escrow your taxes unless you are in a trial modification or modification. Just another way for them to steal your home.