Chase Bank / closed my account without notice

CA, United States Review updated:

Click on the link to see the full complaint

Comments

• Ho
      May 18, 2014

The same thing happen to me and I was so angry. However it is at the managers desecration if they will let you open up another bank account or not. As long as you don't owe Chase any money you should be able to open an account anywhere.

May 20, 2014

My mom received a letter from chase stating that they would close all of her personal and business accounts. I was shocked when I got home and opened my mail I also received a letter that they would close my account as well. The only relationship between my mom's account and mine is that when my mom became ill, for a year I have been making all the business deposits even though I was not an authorized user. At the same teller I would do all of my personal deposits as well as the business's, I also set up online banking through my phone for all of my mom's accts as well as mine

May 21, 2014

This just happened to me 05/20/2014. They didn't been notify me yet. My card just declined and I called in and they treated me like a horrible person. Wouldn't even tell me what happened over the phone and said wait for my mail. Never missed a payment or anything. Didn't even keep a balance and would pay by due date. They are horrible!

• Li
      Jun 14, 2014

.My parent's were Chase Bank customers since 1981 by way of mergers and acquisitions. They are 68 and 63 years old. My Dad is also a very part time Realtor closing a few sales per year. They also receive Social Security checks via direct deposit every 15th of the month. Last weekend my parent's were grocery shopping and their debit card was declined. They knew this was an error, as the account had more than $11k in there. On Monday June 9th, my Dad went into the bank to inquire and was told that his account was frozen pending an investigation. Of course, he was taken aback and called me right away. I was a Bank Manager for Washington Mutual and my sister is also in Banking management so when I got the call, I immediately assumed there was an error as my Parent's account is an ideal account for a bank. Great balances, constant deposits, no overdrafts, no returned deposited items...zero risk. I made calls to former coworkers still at Chase, (I'm a signer on their account) and was told that all they knew was that the account was under review. Nothing else. Back office "Operational Loss" department had placed the flag. My Dad gave his information to the Branch Manager in regards to his type of business (frankly more informatformationion than I would have given) and she said she would submit the information for review. On June 12, we hadn't heard anything so Dad went into the bank to cash a little $80 check made payable to him and he was told that they couldn't cash it because his account was still under review. Mind you, the account still had $11k in it.Yesterday, I called the Executive Customer Service number, and the gentleman told me, "oh, the account was closed yesterday". I flipped. I asked for an explanation. I was told he did not know, but would look into it. I asked where is my parent's money? He, did not know... and asked me to call Monday. Today, we received a Cashiers Check dated yesterday for the balance of the account. Nothing saying the account is actually closed. No explanation. Nothing.FDIC rules require a client to be notified verbally or written that their account will be closed. That did not happen. How can they do this? My parent's Social Security deposits will now be rejected and they will have to wait 3 weeks for new checks to be sent. We spent 2 hours on hold getting that squared away.Now begins the daunting task of getting all their bills switched over, and starting over at a new bank. I believe the treatment my parent's received to be downright deplorable. I believe their account may have been inadvertently placed on the "Operation Choke Point" list, and then fell through the cracks.Is their any recourse you see? I don't think my Parent's account will be the first or last account to deal with this bureaucratic tape.I look forward to hearing from you.

• Li
      Jun 14, 2014

Hello Mr. Kwan, I would like to discuss with you the recent issue we had with Chase Bank to see if we have any recourse against them.My parent's were Chase Bank customers since 1981 by way of mergers and acquisitions. They are 68 and 63 years old. My Dad is also a very part time Realtor closing a few sales per year. They also receive Social Security checks via direct deposit every 15th of the month. Last weekend my parent's were grocery shopping and their debit card was declined. They knew this was an error, as the account had more than $11k in there. On Monday June 9th, my Dad went into the bank to inquire and was told that his account was frozen pending an investigation. Of course, he was taken aback and called me right away. I was a Bank Manager for Washington Mutual and my sister is also in Banking management so when I got the call, I immediately assumed there was an error as my Parent's account is an ideal account for a bank. Great balances, constant deposits, no overdrafts, no returned deposited items...zero risk. I made calls to former coworkers still at Chase, (I'm a signer on their account) and was told that all they knew was that the account was under review. Nothing else. Back office "Operational Loss" department had placed the flag. My Dad gave his information to the Branch Manager in regards to his type of business (frankly more information than I would have given) and she said she would submit the information for review. On June 12, we hadn't heard anything so Dad went into the bank to cash a little $80 check made payable to him and he was told that they couldn't cash it because his account was still under review. Mind you, the account still had $11k in it.Yesterday, I called the Executive Customer Service number, and the gentleman told me, "oh, the account was closed yesterday". I flipped. I asked for an explanation. I was told he did not know, but would look into it. I asked where is my parent's money? He, did not know... and asked me to call Monday. Today, we received a Cashiers Check dated yesterday for the balance of the account. Nothing saying the account is actually closed. No explanation. Nothing.FDIC rules require a client to be notified verbally or written that their account will be closed. That did not happen. How can they do this? My parent's Social Security deposits will now be rejected and they will have to wait 3 weeks for new checks to be sent. We spent 2 hours on hold getting that squared away.Now begins the daunting task of getting all their bills switched over, and starting over at a new bank. I believe the treatment my parent's received to be downright deplorable. I believe their account may have been inadvertently placed on the "Operation Choke Point" list, and then fell through the cracks.Is their any recourse you see? I don't think my Parent's account will be the first or last account to deal with this bureaucratic tape.

• Jz
      Jun 22, 2014

The same thing happened here too. My brother has checking and saving accounts from Chase and I am his POA. Yesterday, I suddenly got letters from Chase and am told these accounts will be closed on June 30, 2014. My brother uses these accounts to keep his rent income and he has account activities every month because rent checks were deposited to his accounts. So, his account is on good condition. I call them and they said they were not unable to find the reason for why my brother's account is closed. Talked to supervisor and got the same answer. How a big bank closed a good condition account without a reason? Now, my brother's rent business is totally messed up by Chase's action. The rent check has no place to deposit and there is no way to send property tax and income tax. He is not in USA so there is no way to open account in other banks. Should Chase be responsible for such mess-up?

• On
      Jun 28, 2014

Hello I just experienced the sane thing with Chase. On this past Wed I lost my debit card. When I called in to report the card lost or stolen I was told that my card had already been suspended. The rep checked with me about the last transactions and they were legit. I was then transferred to another department whom was supposed to find out why my account was suspended. All I was told is that nothing had happened but Chase had decided to end their relationship with me and the account was to be closed. I asked to speak to someone higher up and was told the same thing. They said they could close my account at any time and do not have to give a reason why . Also they said the terms and agreements stated that I could leave the bank at any time and that Chase could end the relationship at anytime. Can anything be done, I agree with the class action suit, how can they do this. My direct deposit and all my bills that are set to be automatically taken out are messed

• Ly
      Jun 30, 2014

I can't believe that they would issued me a credit card then the same day told me that they have decided to end their relationship with me. I can't believe that ANY banks have the right to end / terminate an account without a valid reason. The government should step in to govern these damn stupid banks from doing this to consumer. Not only that they closed my account but refuse to give access to my own damn funds. This is like being robbed and you can't do anything about it.

• De
      Jul 31, 2014

We have been operating a successful real estate business through Chase for 3 years with no problems at all. Then in June we received the "We will close your business accounts..." letter. My relationship manager has done their best to save the accounts, but we are told that once "Operating Loss Prevention Department" make the decision it is final. No explanation and extremely disruptive to the business. If anyone want to initiate a class action then I am in.

• Da
      Aug 21, 2014

Made a couple online purchase and withdrew money from an atm 8:45pm. 2a.m in Chicago, IL...realized I no longer had my card and was unable to log into my account. Called the number provided and was told that I'm a risk to Chase and that my account is being permanently closed. They couldn't disclose an exact reason why. Going to file a police report in the a.m and speak with a branch manager and hope for the best.

Aug 21, 2014

Both my Savings and Checking were closed . We both have regular jobs and both received direct deposits into the accounts. I have called and spoke with several managers at Chase and no one has given me a reason. They are telling me they don't have to give me one. That is just no right. I didn't know being a paralegal and a salesperson was something Chase didn't like. The good thing is there are lots of banks that are willing to take my money. I still wish I knew why.

• Ga
      Aug 25, 2014

I had the same problem with Chase. They solicited me to bring new money to the bank in exchange for a cash bonus. Once I did they froze my accounts for "irregular deposit activity" and held the funds for 30 days. If anyone is interested in taking action against Chase, please call me. 212-235-7007

Sep 02, 2014

I recently had a few fraud charges on my account. They told me to go to the branch in order to receive a new debit card and when I arrived, the accounts manager told me that Chase is ending our relationship!!!??? I never knew they did such a thing. I was shocked! The woman helping me advised me to withdraw everything from both my checking and savings account. I will not be allowed to bank again with Chase. I still have a business account with them and I am actually opening both a business and personal account with Bank of America this week. I find it ridiculous that they would close your account with no notice. If i hadnt gone to the bank I would not have Known. The woman told me that I would receive an email within 24 - 48 hours, It has been a week already and no email, no mail, no phone call. This is not the way I expected a major bank to carry out business. I would never recommend chase bank to anyone. I WILL TAKE ALLLLL my business elsewhere.

• Me
      Sep 04, 2014

This just happened to my husband.!
    We were in shock, and had no answer at the local branch.
    But now I see we are not the only ones with this problem.
    Chase is a disgrace.

• To
      Sep 05, 2014

The same thing just happened to me. As soon as I opened my account it was closed. I opened it Sep 4th and today Sep 5th I tried going online and it was closed. No reason given. The person on the phone just told me they will be closing the accounts. It makes you feel like a bad person.

• Mo
      Sep 10, 2014

If you had a problem with chase bank and they closed or frozen your account and still holding your money, please let me know.

Chase bank closed my account and they still hold $17, 670 since 3 months. They wouldn't release it to me even that check is cleared from all parties and the payees.
    Letterly, they could screw you and ruins your life. How you will pay your bills, mortgage, or even buy your food if the bank hunt your money for NO REASON.

3 months now, and chase bank still wanna verify my check!!!
    They need me to bring all parties and payee of the check to Chase branch from a different state. Guess what? There is no chase bank in Missouri so the payee would go there and clear the check.
    Chase refused any public notary, they want us to use their own notary.

I filed a complaint to the Federal Reserve Bank and Chase respond " We can close your account at any time and for any reasons."
    They didn't say I had a permission to deposit that check to my account.
    They didn't say that money been cleared from other bank and paid the money THREE MONTHS AGO

I believe after I spooked to dozen of chase employees, the money should be released. Someone there is deleted all conversations to make it hard for me to claim my money.
    I also, requested 2 police officers to go with me to the branch and letterly the manager lied to the officer and said "His account is not close and he will get his money in 2 days."

Finally, I am here waiting chase to release my money after they damaged and ruined my life and my business.

• Ro
      Sep 13, 2014

I have had this happen to me several times which is why I will never more do business with a for profit bank. I now bank with federal credit unions and have never had any issues.

• Vi
      Oct 13, 2014

I just had the same problem with Wellsfago!!! No explanation, no questions, feel like I am in Matrix, powerless and rightless...let's file a class action, people! Or petition the attorney general or organize a protest! This is a shame what's happpening in this country!, , ,

Oct 24, 2014

we started a new project, opened a business account with chase based on a referral from a big business. we only deposited $100 and they decided to close it. to end the relationship. we are shocked. do other banks do this or just chase?

• Ad
      Oct 29, 2014

Same thing just happened to me. I opened account a few weeks ago and set up direct deposits. Two days ago I received the letter about terminating my account. I called the number and they said I need to go into a branch to verify my identity before they could provide further details. I went into the branch, then they said that they have no further details and do not need to provide me with a reason. They did confirm that is it not because of chex systems (I am not on chex systems) or because of bad credit (I only have one late payment 6.5 years ago). It seems besides that, no one seems to know anything about it, and the guy at the bank was really surprised when he called the back office and couldn't get any more information. He was really apologetic, but the back office people were not.

I don't know what else could be the problem. Either way, I'm closing my credit card that I've had with them for years. Seems quite ridiculous that they do not need to provide details.

• Cu
      Nov 06, 2014

People, I had the same thing happen to me out of nowhere. And the most frustrating thing is they won't take responsibility for it and tell you why they did what they did. But if I understand correctly, the law says they can't base their decisions on race or sex. But without any other explanation, I guess it must be race. See what I am getting at. A flood of letters to Chase and the media stating that Chase is taking actions based on race... well, whose to say any different? If Chase could explain the granular reason for their actions then the law might not see their actions as racism. But without an explanation, racism is the only one. And that's illegal. Everyone, send them a letter claiming that Chase's actions were based on race and that they will be hearing from your attorney. I don't know how long it would take to go viral, but we can make Chase respond if we use the law.

• Mi
      Nov 08, 2014

I really cannot believe this continues to happen, and my experiences mirror exactly what has been stated here. This happened to me going back to 2010 with Chase. I actually tried to open an account with them again recently and they would not let me as I am officially banned from Chase for life both personally and with my business. The irony is I have credit cards and a mortgage with them. How am I a liability threat to have a checking account but giving me hundreds of thousands in credit for my mortgage and credit card is not an issue? I switched to Bank of America because I needed to be with a bank that has branches in some key states I travel to for work all the time. There really should be a class action lawsuit against Chase for this behavior. I am of course always worried something could happen at any given moment. Our company just closed a major contract, and I think we are going to look to have accounts with a couple different banks so as to make sure we are never at the whims of any one single entity.

• Ta
      Nov 18, 2014

I opened a business account with chase few week ago.. And deposited some money to start up business.. Now business is about to start and I tried to use my business debit card they told me the account is closed.. They just closed the account without any notice and now money is stuck there.. They said they will send check in 10 days.. I have done everything to start this business and now they said it will take 10 days to release my money.. Chase is a disgrace... Is there any way to sue these guys??

• Ih
      Nov 23, 2014

November 2014 we opened an Amazon rewards chase account. After a few days of us using it, our account was cancelled due to suspicious activity. We immeadiately called chase customer service where we were then told that they were unable to access our account and that a member of the fraud team would be contacting us. A week has gone by and stil no call. We then call back... 5 different times. Still no one knows what is going on in any department in their customer service center. No call back, no letter from chase, nothing. We are left in the dark and they are explaining nothing to us and doing nothing for us or to help the situation.

• Ri
      Dec 05, 2014

I had a joint bank account with my wife and we had about 60K in saving and less than 5k in checking and for some odd reason they terminated my account. Apparently the initial paperwork that we signed has a clause which says that CHASE mf bank reserves the right to terminate the account and that is the only reason they cited when terminating our account. As I read through some of the posts here I find it is similar for everyone. I no expert but I think CHASE bank is trying to create an Image which is kinda like the UP-MARKET bank or the bank for rich people or something. Anywayz there are better banks namely CitiBank and Wells Fargo and actually the thing one should be searching for is " which banks are the best at customer service" and to my surprise it is Rabo Bank.
    banking with some of the smaller banks is better because they value their customers unlike CHASE.
    I am never banking with CHASE ever and am totally on board suing these MF's. Honestly it was insulting.

• Fl
      Dec 15, 2014

Flo bronx ny
    The same thing happened to me I opened my account three weeks ago with Chase opened a checking and savings and three weeks later I tried to deposit my check through the Chase app and was unable to do so didn't think too much of it do to my Internet services been lackluster later on the day I tried to go to a chase bank after hours and wasn't able to gain access inside the bank finally I decided to giveChase a call in the morning where I was told that my accounts were closed indefinitely because Chase considered me high risk with no other explanation and 10 days before Christmas chase cited to close my account I think it's unfair and a bunch of BS how they can steal peoplemoney, I have never overdraft had over $600 in my checking and well over thousand in my savings with no explanation why they decided to close my account, what's sad is I can't even get a valid reason of why all I got told was that Chase did not have to provide me with this info, and would receive a letter in the mail within 10 days for my remaining balance. Chase bank treated me like a criminal like my money wasn't good enough never again even if I have the opportunity to think with them what I ever chew such a deplorable bank!!!

• Da
      Dec 30, 2014

ANYONE WANTS TO START A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR CLOSING ACCOUNTS WITHOUT NOTICE??? I was affected last year and they owe me a lot of money of checks from my business and personal, they shut the account along with my money!!...

• Ag
      Jan 06, 2015

I believe a lot of this account closing is just for show. They got in trouble with regulators because they were being too lax letting questionable (criminals) basically launder money through them. They got told to do a better job. But what they are doing now is like cops with a quota system. They just want to close a certain number of accounts per day so as to make the quota. It doesn't really matter if the particular accounts were shady in any way or not.

This does seem like something ripe for a class action suit since some people are clearly seriously damaged. In my case, luckily, I did not depend on my Chase bank account. I think it really went downhill in customer service compared to WaMu.

Note that you can complain to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency which is the agency which regulates national banks. They have a complaint form online. Chase is relying on people not going through the bureaucracy to file such a complaint... Well you have control over that.

• Ro
      Jan 17, 2015

This morning I checked my bank online like I do every day and though I was overdrawn because of pending transactions, I noticed that I had made a deposit yesterday to cover my account and an item that I was expecting to clear on today, was cleared yesterday. This caused 2 pending items to be paid, but the bank charged me not 1 but 2 NSF's. I called the bank trying to find out why I had gotten 2 NSF's instead of the one and the Associated tried to explain. I felt like I was getting the run around and that I understood what she was telling. See, Chase had already sent me a notice that they were no longer going to post transactions from high to low, but they still do it anyways, so even though when I made my deposit to cover my items, one came in a day early and instead of paying that one item and charging me 1 NSF, the paid the item and charged me for 2 NSF's. I got off the phone and tried to long into my online banking and got a message saying that my account was suspended. When I called the number they gave, I go basically no answer. No matter how many times I kept asking, the gentleman stated he could tell me exactly why, then he got me a Senior "SPECIALIST" who told me a letter was sent to me today, January 16th and I could go to my branch to see the hard copy, but this so-called "SPECIALIST" DIDN'T want to give me a definitive answer, just kept telling me that she had answered my questions and that there was nothing I could do about the closure. I even asked about making a deposit to clear my overdraft and she told me my account was restricted and I couldn't even make a deposit...I said that I had outstanding checks and it was like she didn't care and told me they would be returned unpaid...I was like WFT??? So, I called my branch directly and the Branch manager said she would look into it and call me back. She tried to tell me that the reason for closing my account was basically because the bank made an internal decision based on suspicious, risky activity. I asked was the bank accusing me of fraud or bad check writing and she said no, just that there had been some questionable or suspicious activity...she tried to tell me that I had supposedly over 30 items rejected in the last year. I told her nothing had been rejected or returned to a merchant, but that didn't seem to mater and the fact is that even though my account balance starts out overdrawn, by the end of of the banking day, the account is in a positive status, which means I am taking care of my account every day to avoid charges. The branch manager stated that I was using funds before items cleared the bank, but that didn't make much sense as I was making deposits every day and before 8 pm to ensure nothing was being returned to the merchant. The Branch manager also stated that this closure will not affect me opening a new account at another bank as Chase will not say anything because it was strictly an internal decision. Ugh. And there is nothing I can do to change the situation.

Jan 29, 2015

I have been experiencing a similar fiasco with the big bad Chase as well. I have close to 11, 000 in my checking account with chase which has been in perfect standing for the last 4 years. As with the typical process of moving comes, god forbid.. NEW FURNITURE AND APPLIANCES. Big ticket items, obviously. I had just recently purchased a new sofa and washer and dryer for my home and had to run to the store yesterday evening for some additional parts to get my washer and dryer properly installed this morning. Knowing I had ample funds, I was obviously not expecting for my card to be declined. I, too, called the lovely "account specialist" who had me on hold for close to 45 minutes while "checking with his supervisor". He disclosed nothing to me other than the fact that Chase made the decision to close MY account and that I could go to the nearest branch and see how much money the branch manager "felt like" giving me to hold me over until I received a check for the remaining funds via regular postage. So let me get this straight… I trust to keep my funds with Chase and come to find out they're the ones I should be keeping my money from! It's simply degrading and goes completely against the fundamentals of customer service to do something this drastic without any explanation whatsoever. I was a bit panicked when all of this happened yesterday and hopped online to see if anyone else had experienced a similar situation. Come to find out, there are entire forums of soon to be "past" customers with Chase. Personally, I would rather drive a couple extra miles up the road to a further ATM and not have this hassle again. Chase needs to understand this is NOT the way to do business with their customers.

P.S. I used to work for Chase last year in their mortgage refinancing department. My entire training for that position was a bunch of ### on how to "calm the customer down" basically so we can decline them for any and all assistance. Needless to say, I quit within months. I would rather take the high road than meander through the hypocrisy.

• Cj
      Feb 17, 2015

Would have never taken this serious until it happened to me! Here is a recording of my branch manager: https://clyp.it/poxsczlq
    I opened a Facebook page for people to share this story: https://www.facebook.com/ChaseClosedMyAccount

• We
      Apr 08, 2015

my advice to you don't keep to much money on any bank accounts because banks are only interested in their own profits

• Je
      Apr 22, 2015

This has just happened to my 19 year old son, they said they are terminating his account for suspicious activity. They can't tell us why. I have access to his account and I do not see anything suspicious.

• Cp
      Apr 25, 2015

I had a savings account with PNC which I opened last year. I also got a credit card with them as well. I only had about $3000 in the account. However, about three weeks ago I needed some extra funds to help pay for a veterinary procedure for my dog. I made a transfer of $2000 to my checking account (which thankfully is with a different bank). Two days ago I went to put the funds back and I couldn't find the account on line. I called PNC and they told me to go the branch where I opened the account. I did just that. No-one there could help me and seemed perplexed at the problem. They gave me a 1-800 number to call. When I called I was directed to their "security" department. I had this woman on the phone called Jessica. She was the most rude ### I've ever spoken to. I explained what had happened and all I got from her was "I'm sorry ma'am we are not at liberty to explain why we have decided to close your account". We can close your account at any time without an explanation". She kept repeating this over and over as if she was a robot. I hung up and called back. This time I got someone who was a little more helpful explained that a bank can close your account if they suspect fraudulent activity. I was totally taken aback because this was a savings account. I had never deposited a check!!! Someone suggested that maybe they weren't earning any money off me. I have no credit card debt and my card with them is at 0!!! I'm sorry you had to deal with this crap as well. My major concern is my credit rating. Any ideas on this?

• Mi
      Apr 25, 2015

Cash deposits are untraceable. Everyone knows if you deposit 10, 000.01 or mor you have to file a CTR aka report the cash to the govt. attempting to avoid that CTR is ILLEGAL. A lot of people do it. Even teenagers because there parents told them about the limit. For pple that deposit a lot of cash, unless you are employed at a cash intensive business, there's no reason to deposit a lot of cash unless you are doing something illegal. Typical consumer accounts will have payroll checks or direct deposit. Just like a customer has 10 banks to choose from to conduct there business, every financial institution has the right to select which customers they are willing to conduct business with.

• Md
      May 11, 2015

I received a letter from Chase about my checking account and then two days later about my Chase credit card. In both instances it stated that after an activity review of my account, they were closing my accounts. The credit card letter stated the reason was "because continuing the relationship creates possible reputational risk to our company." All efforts to get an explanation both by telephone and at my local branch were unsuccessful. The only response I got was that Chase has this right as identified in the agreement I accepted when opening the account. I was shocked and confused, and made to feel as if I had done something wrong or illegal. I have search my mind attempting to identify what I might have done. The only answer is that I have made some cash atm deposit over the last two months.

• Ya
      Jun 26, 2015

I had been with Chase for almost 10 years, and they closed my account without notice. I spent an hour on the phone, only to speak with 6 different customer service representatives who could not help me at all. The last rep I spoke to, said he was a manager and advised me to go to my local branch to resolve the issue. Another hour spent at the local branch, with a rep who did not help either. Their staff isn't trained to provide customer service, at all. Turns out the last rep I spoke to over the phone, wasn't even a manager. What's ironic about that, is that he claimed to have been from the FRAUD department. They offered to open another account for me, but I took all my money and went to Union Bank. Chase does not meet any professional standards. I don't recommend anyone to bank with them.

• Yo
      Aug 07, 2015

The worst Bank in Skokie.
    They are so PC they do not believe in Free Speech
    I will pay $25.00 if you promise you will leave and can prove it.
    [protected]@gmail.com

• Si
      Aug 07, 2015

I have had nothing but negative experiences with chase bank even being a CHASE PRIVATE CLIENT MEMBER! I keep the minimum balance at all times and recently I got a letter saying my accounts are being closed and my RELATIONSHIP with chase bank is being terminated. I called and asked why and they could only tell me the account closure process. They are ###.

• Sc
      Oct 05, 2015

there were way to many unoauthorized pqyment taken out of my account they took my rent$