Chase Bank / high fees

The JP Morgan Chase Bank in Tujunga, CA, charges $6.00 to cash any check by a "non-customer" says branch manager Marsha Kouyoumjian. Marsha Kouyoumkian goes on to state that it doesn't matter if the check is $50 or $5, Chase Bank will still charge you $6.00 fee so if you have a check for $5 you would owe them $1. Today, I was charged $6 to cash a $60 check. That is a 10% check cashing fee. It kind of seems like highway robbery to me. Don't cash your checks at Chase unless you want to get ripped off!!! http://bankfraudblogspot.blogspot.com/

Comments

24th of May, 2011

19th of Jul, 2011

Thanks for your comments. I did open up an account right down the street at B of A. They weren't rude or jerks like Marsha at Chase. A little bit of friendly customer service goes a long way.

19th of Jul, 2011

Ellen, while I can appreciate your humor, if I wanted to take it to my bank I could have. The reason I took it to Chase was because it was a Chase bank check and I wanted to cash it at their bank. What's wrong with that? The reason for the complaint was because of the arrogant attitude and the lack of customer service treatment I received from the bank. I gladly took my next check to B of A and opened an account up with them right down the street and they haven't treated me with the contempt or sarcasm I received from Marsha Kouyoumkian at Chase Bank in Tujunga . I paid thousands of dollars in servicing fees to Chase Bank on student loans and I'm not about to pay them any more money. They literally are the worst bank in the world. People complain about B of A but they are a breath of fresh air compared to Chase.

• Wa
      19th of Jul, 2011

If you are not a member of a certain bank then it's common for a 5-6 dollar fee to occur when cashing a check. I also see you made a comment about "Bank of America being a breath of fresh air compared to Chase". Did you know that B of A also charges a 6 dollar fee for non members to cash checks? I bank with B of A and when my mother in law was in town she was charged a 6 dollar processing fee when she cashed a check at my branch.

Here are other banks and what they charge to non customers:

PNC Bank: $10
    Fifth Third Bank: $8
    Citizens Bank: $7
    Huntington National Bank: $6

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that your complaint is irrelevant. ALL banks charge a cash checking fee to non customers. The 6 dollar charge you encountered was lower then what some banks charges, but normal for most.

Walmart only charges 3 dollars to cash a check for amounts under 1, 000 dollars. Would you complain about that also? I mean that is 5% of the 60 dollar check you held.

19th of Jul, 2011

I've been to B of A when I wasn't a customer and they always waived the check cashing fees. Some tellers and managers use discretion.

I love Brenda =)

19th of Jul, 2011

Just because something is common doesn't mean it is right. Why should someone pay an additional fee on top of what the customer who writes the check is already paying? This is called double-dipping. Do you see?

• Wa
      19th of Jul, 2011

Banks charge all types of fees that you would consider double dipping. If you don't bank with B of A, but use their ATM you will be charged a 3 dollar fee, and YOUR bank can also turn around and charge another small fee. It's also the same with writing a bad check. The company you wrote the back check to gets slapped with a fee, you get slapped with a fee, and then you also get hit with a return check fee.

I have a no rewards credit card with bank of america and was given a notice in the mail last month that I will now be paying a 3 dollar a month service fee. So not only will I have to pay interest on my bill, I will also have to pay 3 dollars a month just for the convince of having a credit card. So essentially I'm paying bank of america so that I can have a credit score.

Look I understand your check cashing frustrations, but banks have been ###ing customers and non customers for YEARS. These fees and the "double-dipping" you speak of have been the norm for a long time. Banks are ###

I have VIP.

21st of Jul, 2011

Ellen, banks make money based on the total amount of money their customers put into their accounts through loans and investments. It's not like they aren't making money off their customers if they don't charge any fees,

I agree, Brew :)

21st of Jul, 2011

The banks should cash checks free. It is the purpose of checks. Everyone should take all their money out of the banks and keep it hidden at home.

Big enough. I sure do, Brenda.;p

* Rolls eyes at gkenigmatic*
    *Agrees with John*

• Po
      25th of Jul, 2011

YEp, thats why i dont like chase. Too many fees.

25th of Jul, 2011

I'll kiss your moon anytime, ILC3.
    You have the sweetest cheeks around. (except for Brenda's !!!)

*smoooooooochieeeeees*!!!

25th of Jul, 2011

@ILC3 I travel the world and attend the best parties with the most spiritual, humble, and down to earth people. I don't think I would call that a lonely existence. I'm in one of the best cities in America right now, San Francisco, working for a non-profit on a contract job for two weeks. I perform in front of audiences of hundreds and thousands of people on a bi-weekly basis. I'd hardly call my life lonely. In fact, sometimes, I just want some time to myself. Good try though... projection is a B%^$&!

25th of Jul, 2011

*still smirking at archerop with ILC3 hanging off of one arm and Brenda hanging off the other*

26th of Jul, 2011

Ellen, I understand the game. I was playing the game back with Chase. I had just read a financial book about how to save money on little fees that add up to quite a bit in the long run if you aren't paying attention and was attempting to use the author's advice about requesting a fee waiver. A lot of his techniques, most of them, have worked marvelously. This instance it didnt work. The excuses that Marsha K. gave for why she couldn't do it were pretty lame. "If I do it for you, then I have to do it for everybody that comes in here." "If I do it, then I have to explain to my bosses why I did it, I need a really good reason." "If the check was $10 less I could have waived the fee." At first, she said she couldn't do it at all and the computer wouldn't let her so she lied to me. I'm just exposing the hypocrisy and lies spouted by banks and managers like Marsha for virtue's sake. Her demeanor, lies, and tone are not what I would expect from a professional bank manager. This branch also has terrible reviews on Yelp.com I'm just calling a spade a spade. You get ahead in business by providing competitive service that delivers every single time you interact with that business. Chase has shown it does not run a competitive business that delivers every single time. Other banks like ING Direct and New Resource Bank are adding extra value and service to their customers and I think discerning consumers will see this and make the change. Others in the Eco-Conscious movement will go with banks like New Resource who don't fund big oil projects and keep their hands clean. Someone close to me almost has me closing my B of A account and heading to New Resource Bank. In closing, I don't charge my clients when they ask for change :)

27th of Jul, 2011

It's a legitimate complaint. No service is being provided to the check casher. The service is being provided to the check writer only.They are safeguarding their funds for them. Part of the service being provided is cashing the check to the person it has been written to. If you can't understand this, you must be a bank employee or shareholder.
    Or ###ic. Or idiotic.