Chartered Accountants / Overpriced and poor service - not recommended

1 Calgary, Alberta, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 403.7771515

For the small business tax return Halpern&Sheinfeld charge up to $2000. It might be reasonable, if they could provide us with proper advice and explaining alternative ways to file tax, manage payroll and maintain finances in the most effective way.
In reality, I couldn’t get one decent conversation on any challenge or question, we had. Last time in 2007 tax return was filed at last minute, while submited well in advance. GST return was wrong and we didn’t get client copy. When CRA called me to ask questions on this return, I didn’t have my copy to understand what calculation was done inproperly. When I asked Sheinfeld to intervene, he just ignored me. So CRA rejected our return and we got penalty. Same with the income tax return – it was wrong and amended twice, all due to the lack of accountant attention. They provided us with very poor advices, which cost us a lot of money we lost during 2 years we tried to work with them.
I am writing this, because believe we found a good accountant, who for less money takes care on our business and gives a good feeling of being treated as respected people.
We realize, it is very hard to find a decent accountant amongst thousand of them, but if you look for a one – I highly don’t recommend to start with KHS, anyone of them if you want to avoid to waste your time, get stressed and lose your money as a result of their so-called “services”.

Mh

Comments

• Bc
      10th of Feb, 2011

There are so many of incompetent, overpriced and sleazy CGAs and CAs out there who call themselves professionals. If CRA offers a more user friendly system, then these accountants will be out of jobs. They never provide you with all the numbers and forms and give you only a partial picture of what they have done for their clients. I too have gone thru many of them here in Vancouver and 90% are unethical. They will charge a small business a fee of 15% of the small corp's gross revenue to file one return. These accountants are cashing in on CRA's constant changing of policies and just because we small business owners do not have the time to following CRA's ongoing amendment of tax rules, we have to pay these clowns outrageous amount of money for them to pluck numbers into tax software. There are too many of these accountant firms here in BC, utterly ridiculous. Making a complaint to the CGA/CA associations do not help because they protect their own.