Charter OneFees/Customer Service

1 Review updated:

Why I am closing my Charter One bank accounts:

1. On 10/30/2017 an insufficient funds fee was charged to my account in the amount of 117.00 and on 10/31/2017 an insufficient funds fee was charged to my account in the amount of 273.00. In both instances there was no overdraft shown on my balance. As a result of almost 400.00 taken from my account this caused multiple overdrafts in the following weeks causing me the loss of hundreds of dollars. Calls to Customer Service and a visit to the branch did nothing to resolve this. I was told to fill out an overdraft dispute form, which I did, then heard nothing further.

2. When my wife and I opened this joint account last year, the manager of the branch promised us free plane tickets as an added incentive. After meeting all criteria for the incentive, months went by without word of the tickets, I called Customer Service and they stated they would check into it. After a couple of more months I called again to inquire about the tickets. Customer Service assured me they would look into it and stated the branch manager would be calling me back shortly. After still no word, I went to the branch to speak to the manager. She stated she would look into it and get back to me. After two weeks with no word from her, I called her back and she stated again she would investigate the matter. Then I received a voicemail from the branch manager's assistant, stating there were no more plane ticket vouchers available, so “I’m sorry.”

3. On 10/14/2017 I was double charged for two transactions. These were later refunded but I could not access my funds until they were refunded.

I believe a change needs to be made in the overdraft policies., particularly in the area of pending debits and holds. I work hard for my money. I need a bank that respects the fact that I am giving my hard earned money to them so that they can make money using my money. Charging unreasonable insufficient fee amounts for holds and pending payments does not make sense to me. When mistakes are made by the bank, nothing is paid to me, and the best I get is “I’m sorry.”

Comments

•   Dec 27, 2007
    Charter One - Stupid policy!
    Charter One
    2800 N Narragansett
    Chicago
    Illinois
    Phone: [protected]
    www.charteronebank.com

I use to love my bank and had no complaints about them until now. Charter One has recently changed policy and is now charging enormous fees if u go negative in your 'available balance'. the only problem with that is it is impossible to keep track of!! I am very detail-oriented and keep pretty good track of my finances. But there are times where it is impossible to track every transaction; my example being that I had recently returned something to an online shop; the shop ended up automatically charging me for using their return label; this ended up bringing my available balance to -.20 (yes, twenty cents) and Charter One charged me $35 for this!!

I would have much rather have them decline my card; now i have to 'triple-check' my acct in my head every time i swipe my debit card. Very ridiculous. I cannot believe they treat their customers this way. I have been a customer for over 5 years. I am planning to change banks VERY soon.

• Th
      Nov 01, 2010
    Charter One - INACTIVITY FEES (WHO DOES THAT)
    CHARTER ONE
    Toledo
    Ohio

16. 2017 STARTED BANKING WITH CHARTER ONE SIMPLY TO CASH MY JOB CHECKS WITHOUT FEES

17 FOUND A BETTER PLACE FOR BANKING (CREDIT UNION)

18-19 STARTED RECEIVING ANNOYING ### NOTICES, DUE TO HAVING A INACTIVE ACCOUNT, FOR, I WOULD SAY FOR ABOUT 2YEARS MAYBE 3YEARS OF NOT USING THEM. I ALSO CUT UP THE CARD SO THAT I DIDNT USE IT.

REMIND YOU THEY NEVER SAID THAT YOU WILL BE CHARGED ANY FEES FOR NOT USING YOUR ACCOUNT.

I THOUGHT THAT AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR BALANCE AT A POSITIVE YOU COULD LEAVE IT OPEN WITH OUT IT BEING CLOSED OR IN OTHER WORDS ###ED WITH.

WELL I WAS WRONG SO NOW THEY ARE BUGGING ME BY SENDING THESE NOTICES THREATING TO GO TO A CREDIT REPORT AGENCY AND ALL OF THAT, OH WE MAY PURSUE LEGAL ACTIONS BLAH BLAH BLAH.

WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS CLOSE THE ACCOUNT AND GIVE ME MY LITTLE 1.50 AS A CHECK, BUT NOOOO THEY WANTED TO WAIT TIL ###ING FOR EVER TO BRING THE PROBLEM TO MY ATTENTION.

HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY

TOODLES

• Mj
      Dec 09, 2010
    Charter One - Charter One does not care about customers
    Charter One
    Ohio

Step 3: Preview and Publish Your Review
    Please proofread your review. If there is anything you would like to change or correct, click the "Edit" button at the bottom left. When you are finished, click the "Publish your review" button.

CHARTER ONE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS!!!
    by mjeff77, Dec 09 '10

I've been with Charter One in Canton, OH for 10 years. The only reason I didn't leave sooner is the inconvenience of changing my direct deposit. I've been nickled and dimed to death, with NO EMPATHY from their so-called "customer-service". The final draw was when I was charged a $37 overdraft fee on a online auto w/d-payment set up for the 1st; it was posted one day early, leaving my account $21 short (my pay-day fell the next day). This particular auto payment was set up for years and never had problems. When I contacted customer service, the rude little comment from some little jerk with no life experience was "you'll have to call online banking. I would tell you no" [when I asked to have the fee credited]. The online banking guy was no better. They insisted it wasn't their mistake. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SENT THE PAYMENT AND THEN CASHED THE STUPID CHECK ONE DAY EARLY!!! Am I wrong? I was then lectured for 15 minutes by the supervisor that I have to have the funds in the account when the payment is set up. I set up the payments for auto w/d for convenience...based on my pay-days every other week (and the money is always in on that day to cover all the bills!)!! If you ask me, they just want to take your money however they can. I, like many people, live paycheck to paycheck despite having a decent salary and don't appreciate their stupid fine print and red tape. DO NOT GO TO CHAPTER ONE and tell all of your friends/family!! What happened to the good old days where the customer was respected and treated as though their business mattered???. Funny how all these banks want bail-out but they don't want to help out their loyal customers in turn. I hope they all burn in Hell someday!

• Cu
      Feb 26, 2012
    Charter One - Checking

Same issue I've read so much and I keep seeing in the news that they are going to go after them for but it never seems to really happen. I'd like to put our checking into our Credit Union with our savings but they haven't quite caught up with the new century yet and I don't want to have to drive so far out of the way to do my transactions. If more people, though, would leave their banks and go to Credit Unions, these banks would learn a hard lesson. Right now, , this practice of holding onto your transactions for one or more days and then posting them in order of smallest to largest in order to hit you with overdrafts, is what they are looking into. They should be posted exactly as they are made, PERIOD. If you overdraft, fine, that is your fault but they SHOULD not be able to finagle things around to squeeze the most money out of most of us that live paycheck to paycheck now. When will it stop and when will THEY be fined for the practice?

• Ti
      Feb 27, 2012

Even the credit unions will hit you with overdraft fees if you overdraw your account. All you have to do is use a little common sense -- i.e., keep a check register -- and it won't matter when the transactions post. Just because a debit hasn't posted yet does NOT mean you're entitled to try to spend the money a second time.