Charter One Bank / the worst bank ever

My husband has been a customer with Charter One for nearly 5 years, and 4 months ago I was added as a joint account holder.

I have been a customer of several banks, as well as worked at the corporate headquarters of a very large midwestern bank for some time. Through my experiences as both a bank customer, and a bank employee, I can honestly say that my short 4 months with Charter One has proven to me that it is the worst banking institution I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. Every staff member I've ever spoken to, at several different branches and the telephone banking service, has displayed consistent and flagrant negligence, poor customer service, a complete ineptitude for simple tasks, and an unwillingness to resolve issues (most of which were generated by them in the first place).

In the past month alone, my husband and I have been the victims of these so-called "trained" bank personnel. Gabrielle at the Mack Ave., Saint Clair Shores branch 'helped' us more than once, and each time the process was ridiculously drawn out as she took several customer calls while we were at her desk, interrupting her focus from us. This resulted in a mistake that I now cannot fix. She entered my social security number wrong, despite me reminding her twice to correct it before I left the branch! Now, I cannot use the telephone banking service because I have no idea what number sequence she mistakenly put in, therefore cannot "accurately verify" my identity (hah!) and apparently I have to go to a branch in person to have this corrected. That would be a little difficult, as I now live in England, and at the time of her mistake, Gabrielle knew we were moving overseas just days after this visit.

On another occasion, at the same branch, a young man at the counter first told my husband he could not apply a credit card payment to our credit card without the card itself. Now, we both know this isn't true. After telling him this, he insisted that he had never applied a payment without the card before but that he would 'try to do it without the card'. After 20 minutes of standing at the counter dealing with his poor attitude, the payment was finally applied.

In a Grosse Pointe branch, we attempted to purchase British pounds in preparation for our move to England. The woman behind the counter appeared to know what she was doing, only to call us several hours later saying she had mistakenly charged us for Euros, not Pounds, and that we'd have to come back in to pay the remaining amount, as she had undercharged us by nearly $1, 000. Not only did she call us, complaining about her mistake, but her poor attitude in general throughout the course of the telephone conversation earned her a reprimand from the branch manager, whom we had to speak to several times to correct this mistake.

Most recently, I signed on to our online account to monitor our activity, and noticed over $300 in exchange fees. Outraged at these fees, I emailed Charter One requesting to be contacted. No one has contacted me yet regarding this matter. I also called the telephone banking system to resolve this, was then put on hold for several minutes, only to have the young man come back on the line to tell me these charges are from MasterCard, not the bank.

The call was dropped by my cell phone before he was able to help me further, so I immediately called back and spoke to a woman who informed me of the aforementioned social security number error. After bypassing her and speaking to her supervisor, my husband and I got the same run-around as the first time; the fees were from MasterCard, and Charter One would be taking absolutely no responsibility for them, even though the card used is a bank issued debit card.

My husband patiently and calmly explained to this woman that he's visited Europe on several occasions and each time these fees have not been an issue. She remained adamant that she could not resolve this issue for us, and advised us to contact MasterCard. I question why no one, at any branch, thought to mention this fee to us? We sat with Gabrielle for nearly an hour on two separate occasions and talked about our impending move to Europe. She said she would have to note on our cards that we were planning to use them in Europe, so as not to falsely alert the fraud protection feature on our account.

At no time in this discussion did she mention that using said card would result in a fee. We were assured by her that using our cards over here was completely safe; obviously she was mistaken. I hardly call $300 in ridiculous fees being 'safe'.

I sent Charter One a complaint outlining all these issues, and in response I got a very generic "We're sorry you feel that way" email. Not only that, but since lodging my complaint, our Online Banking Bill Pay feature mysteriously has been disabled. This is fantastic news, as we have no way of issuing checks from this account now!! Now we have to spend yet another 20GBP on an international phone call to their customer service line which will probably result in nothing!

Charter One is untrustworthy, unreliable, unhelpful, and is a stunning example of appalling customer service. Henceforth, we plan to do whatever we can to undermine this bank and ensure no one else need have an experience like we have.

Comments

4th of Feb, 2010

They are horrible. I would like to warn EVERYONE to never bank with these people. We've encountered $429 in unjustified fees in the space of three days and no one can tell us exactly what the fees apply to or how to get them reversed. I give up hope. We are leaving this bank asap!

• Jc
      13th of Mar, 2010

I, too, have had an extensive business and personal banking relationship with Charter One Bank, and have found their customer service to be a...dis-service. The online billpay support group are apathetic, unhelpful and inept. Recently, I incurred nearly $500 in fees because a Payee was cancelled on their online billpay system. I had a $300 payment schedule for that Payee, and there was no system warning that the payment, too, would be cancelled. In the past, a payment for health insurance kept being sent to the wrong payee and address - the system, in some deranged, narcissistic logic, thought I was trying to pay a auto loan payment, and changed both the payee name and address, nearly resulting in my healthcare insurance being cancelled. I was told this problem was with their vendor (CheckFree).

• Mm
      5th of Apr, 2010

Same EXACT thing happened to me. Received a card and they charged a fee and then sent me checks which i did not request. Went to the branch several times and they said they had to 'track it down". NEVER got back to me. This was a secondary account so no big deal - i thought. On my credit report AND you can not open any checking accounts anywhere until it is resolved. VERY FRUSTRATING - WOULD NEVER RECOMMENT CHARTER BANK TO ANYONE!!! THIEVES!

• 87
      7th of Apr, 2010

As far as the exchange fee's go, you should probably read your fee's and features that banks give out at account opening. And, it would also be wise to take some responsibility for your actions, and maybe if your having that many problems its not the bank, but you.

21st of Dec, 2012

Charter one bank is the worst bank ever! .They are extremely rude and are not helpful at all. They are very shady. They are not loyal nor trust worthy. They are very poor problem solvers. They do not care for there customers. They are extremely unprofessional. They can not seem to explain were fees are coming from. They say one thing and change to another. This bank should be shut down or put in to the hall of shame. I have visited different locations the tellers are terrible. Do not bank with charter one! I am leaving this bank.

• D5
      1st of May, 2013

I HAD CLOSED DOWN MY CHARTER ONE ACCOUNT DUE TO SHADY ACCOUNTING METHODS. AT THE TIME I LEFT A FEW DOLLARS IN THE ACCOUNT TO COVER ANY OUTSTANDING. DURING MY TIME WITH THE BANK I COMPLAINED ABOUT OVERDRAFT FEES ON MY ACCOUNT. THE ACCOUNT NEVER SHOWED ANY OVERDRAFT AND THE BANK MANAGER DID NOT SEE ANY EITHER. SHE CALLED THE MAIN AND THEY GAVE HER SOME GOBBLY GOOK ABOUT PROCEDURES.
    I CLOSED THE ACCOUNT AND THEN WAS TOLD I HAD AN OVERDRAFT. I PUT MONEY IN TO COVER IT.. 3 MONTHS LATER I HAD ONE OF MY LENDERS ACCIDENTALLY ACH $4000.00 IN FUNDS TO MY OLD ACCOUNT . WHEN I FOUND OUT, I TRIED TO GET THE MONEY SENT BACK TO THE LENDER. FIRST THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL RECOVER $500 IN FEES FROM THE ACCOUNT, WHICH I PAID. ORIGINALY IT WAS $75.00, BUT WITH FEES IT JUMPED TO $500.00. THAT WAS IN MARCH 2013. THEY GOT THE ACH IN 4/15/13. THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND THE DIFFERENCE TO ME, BUT IT IS NOW 5/1/13 AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THESE IDIOTS TO RESOLVE THIS.
    I TRULY CANNOT RECOMMEND CHARTER ONE. I AM GOING TO MAKE IT MY MISSION TO TELL ALL TO GET THEIR MONIES OUT AND FIND A DIFFERENT BANK. CHARTER ONE UPPER MANAGEMENT AND POLICY MAKER ARE CROOKED AND CONNIVING. BE AWARE!!!