Charter Communications / cancelled service, returned equipment now charging me for lost equipment

1 Fort Worth, TX, United States Review updated:

had service in 2001 and turned off for lack of payment. When they came to pick up the equipment about 6months to 1 year later, paid the balance and they picked up the equipment. Later checked my credit report and they are wrecking my credit with an equipment bill for over 1000.00 for 3 cable boxes. Found the paper work went to the office and showed them. They copied it and sent it to the main office and said that it would be taken care of.

Well it never came off the credit report, and now they have sold it to a collection agency. They have dropped off now, but the collection agency will not take it off my credit report. There have been repeated futile attempts to resolve this over the last 4-5 years.

I will find the paper work again and I will be complaining to every agency that I can think of. We need to have some credit reform and someway of taking care of this to clean up credit reports without everyone pointing the finger at the next person. Experian says it is not their problem, the creditor who sold the account says it is not their problem yet they are reported. The collection agent says it is not their problem, yet they report the orginal creditor and them selves so you get two black marks. Tired of the run around and the finger pointing of "not me."

We may need to write congress with our horror stories so that they get the point that this is a problem. Don't count on the credit reporting companies to help you. Once you have a bad mark it takes a long time to get them off and sometimes you get tired and just wait till they drop off. This is very time consumming to fix. I have a family to raise.

Does anyone else have this horror story. Maybe we should all band together and complain to everyone: BBB, Fair Credit reporting agency, attorney general of your state, your city, complaint boards, etc.

Comments

• Rn
      9th of Dec, 2010

Too bad these are not the dark ages. All 1 million angry Charter customers could catapult a fiery pumpkin at them. I hardly know where to begin, but let me offer a sampling. Once, I switched to "digital" services and after that I did not get ONHE CHANNEL on my TV for 6 MONTHS! Of course, I did not pay for something I was not getting, and I called daily about. One of the operators actually said she wouldn't do business with them, because she could see how they operate their business. Anyway, I turned the equipment back in and they eventually tried to bill me for the equipment ($1, 000...it’s worth $495) and for six months of nothing. I eventually got the service again. Remember, I HAVE NO CHOICE. I now have some service, but my bill is never the same, even though I have a "price guarantee" in writing. Rate hikes with no warning are common. You never know what your actual bill is. When you ask about it, they claim it's "taxes" and services YOU NEVER ORDERED! I have HAD to pay increases of $30.00 a year... FOR BEING A LOYAL CUSTOMER ALLTHESE YEARS! With friends like this, who needs enemies? Oh, I could go on and on. If you live in Charter hell and want television and internet, I am sorry to say that you DO NOT HAVE THOSE SERVICES AVAILABLE. Unless, of course, you want to put your cash into the Charter hole and PRETEND you have services.

• De
      8th of Dec, 2015

Charter has been charging me for a cable box that I did no possess for over 2 years. Lately, they tried to hang another one on me. They have been informed of their errors but refuse to refund the 2-year box back further than six months. The excuse? "We have no billing records prior to 6 months".

You can bet that if I owed them money prior to six months, they would have records. You can also bet that their IT department has backups going back over 6 months.

War has been declared!

• Ro
      25th of Jul, 2017

I pay good money for my cable and yet I can't hear anything on TV right now and when I call to complain about it your person that answer the phone hungs up and me. I think after being with you for 8 years I deserve a little better then this and I would like some discount for the problems that I am having with charter right now. I usually don't complain about it and I never have complain about it going up but I do except better than this from charter. Otherwise I might have to go someplace else and I really do like my chater but after to night I am one in happy customer