Charter Communications / being charged for returned equipment & the worst customer service/follow thru

United States Review updated:
3.35

I am currently being build $357.05 for "two, unreturned cable boxes," according to Charter. This is absolutely untrue. Basically, I am being charged for taking all the necessary steps on my end, and they not complying with their own and their poor record/inventory keeping.

I had scheduled an appt for Charter to disconnect and pick up my cable boxes from my old residence since I had bought a new home and was moving out of state. I scheduled this appt one week in advance. No one ever came out on the day of the pick up, which incidentally was the same as my moving day. I called several times throughout the afternoon to confirm that the pickup was still happening and was told by several operators to "not worry, they will be there before the end of the day." Needless to say, no one ever showed up.

The next morning, my family and I were scheduled on a flight to our new home. I gave my cable boxes to the new home owner and explained to him my situation. He understood and actually said that Charter was coming by that day to install new cable for him. He was kind enough to give the cable boxes to the Charter rep. when they would install them. In speaking with the new owner, he explained the situation to the Charter rep and gave him my boxes.

Since my disconnect date, I have been sent numerous bills regarding the claim of 'unreturned cable boxes.' After each complaint, I have always called Charter to explain the situation and after explaining my story every single time, I have been told to "not worry about the charge right now....we will fill out a form for you to our dispatch dept to further investigate the situation. We will check our logs to see where the boxes are now." Each time I was given a 'reference number' for these forms. And with these reference numbers, I was always told that they would "get back to me within 5-7 working days to provide an update on the situation, so for now please ignore the bill."

This past week, I recently received a notice from a collection agency for the amount of $357.05. Shocked, I once again called Charter and explained my situation. During the first waiting time with a rep, I was on hold for 48 mins, until I got disconnected. I called back to see if I can speak with the previous representative (I've always made sure that I got their names down), but was told that they could not do that because they themselves don't know each other's names so I would have to start all over again. So, I did. I explained to the operator that I also received several 'reference numbers' and asked if it was possible to check the status to see if they had an update. He did and he was actually shocked that they existed on my account profile. He looked them up and told me the following, "yes, these forms have been filled out in the past, but they are currently open."

"Why are they still open?" I asked.

"It seems they're open because their has been no activity on them."

"So, they've never been looked at, updated, recognized...???"

"I'm not sure sir, but the last entry date was the day the form was filled out. It could be that because since there was no comment to call you, that this could have been missed."

"Nice...could you please make sure that you have someone call me at the following number, noted on this form?"

"Yes sir."

So, after after 1hr and 13mins, I was given the same parting words..."reference number....get back to you in 5-7 working days....don't worry about the bill or the collection agency, we'll take care of it from our end," I parted ways.

I don't quite understand their system.

I don't understand why as a consumer, followed Charter standards and rules on disconnecting my cable and scheduling an appt one week in advance, and them missing it, I pay the fine.

I don't understand why they don't have a way to look up the cable box numbers assigned to me in a database to see where it currently stands. I have my very first receipt with the cable box numbers on them, offered to give it to them over the phone, only to be told that they "have no way to search for that."

I don't understand why it would take 5-7 working days to look up the activity on the day(s) in question, and find the dispatcher/charter rep that installed cable at the residence address.

Oh, and prior to my disconnect, my cable was prematurely disconnected for 4 days because the company got my address/info mixed up with someone else. After this was resolved, they said the would send me a refund, to which they are now holding onto until this is resolved.

So, for the record & to sum up...

-I do not currently have the cable boxes.
-The new owner of my previous home does not have the cable boxes.
-They were returned to a Charter rep the day of the new owner's installation.
-Both the new owner and I have explained to Charter that the boxes were returned to them on several occasions when we were contacted.

This is absolutely, by far, some of the most unnecessary stress I have encountered with a company.
Pa

Comments

Ra
  5th of Aug, 2008
If you look at the form that you signed, you are 100% responsible for those boxes until they are in Charter's hands. If they never received them, which is a possibility, you are responsible for them.

Charter Communications Logo Charter Communications