Charnjit Sekhonbad landlord

1 Review updated:

My husband and I both felt compelled to write on this board to warn future tenants to be wary of this landlord. We are in the process of taking him to small claims for stealing 2, 800 of our security deposit.

When we moved in we were very concerned about giving him an 8, 000 deposit on the house as it was not in the best shape to begin with. But he assured us that he gave back the previous tenants all by $75 of their deposit.

After a year 1/2 of dealing with his demeaning personality we decided to move. Luckily we were able to purchase another house. We both stuck to the lease agreement as Churn had requested and paid up to the end of the lease even though we had moved out 2 months early. This had really put us in a bind as we patiently waited for the deposit.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Laguna Beach, CA

When we received the check I was shocked that he had itemized everything he possible could. From charging us over 600 for dry cleaning the drapes to 1, 000 for painting the house.
When I had asked him to give me a list of what he thought he was going to charge us for he denied us that option after the walk through. We made sure the carpets were cleaned professionally, and I touched up any spots on the wall before we left. Now he is claiming that his sister in law was there during the walk through and we were the ones that denied the sign off sheet. What a piece of work. I can only hope that justice will come when we take him to small claims.

FYI - I finally spoke to the previos tenants before us and they had similar issues. Infact they replaced all the carpet themselves 5 years ago.

Comments

• Sm
      Feb 02, 2011

The judge ruled in our favor, even though he brought in a false walk out sheet saying we signed. My husband was furious when he disclosed that document to him before our court appearance, and said to him "you are willing to lie to the courts", and Churn said we will let the judge decide.
    Thankfully the previous tenant gave me a powerful letter describing her issues with him and the amount of money she dumped into that place. We didn't have to lie to win!

Bottom line, we were able to get a majority of our deposit back. It was a battle to get that money and the amount of stress he caused by holding our deposit is something we have to just deal with. I hope this compliant helps the future tentants to be careful and make sure you document and take pictures before and after. Churn will have plenty of time to sit at is home in Washington to document page after page of detailed accounting of what you destroyed... then use that money on his home, so that when he retires the house is paid off and his tenants have paid to keep it up.