Charlotte Babb / John Biggs/Devin Coldewey didn't pay me

United States, California, Ventura Review updated:
14 James Avenue
John Biggs and Devin Coldewey asked me for a bid to illustrate a membership website they were designing. It was a gay meetup site with tips written mostly by Devin Coldewey on picking up other gay men in various settings.

I didn't object to the subject matter (at first) and John Biggs wasn't asking for explicit illustrations. These were mostly just ambiguous stock photos of ambiguously gay men in different settings. I mostly just had to find stock photos and then photoshop them so that colors matched website layout and to remove objects from the stock photos that made no sense for the tips being discussed.

I bid $1100 for the job. I was paid $200 in advance and promised the remainder when the job was finished. John Biggs approved each photo for each section of the website as I finished. He had no problems with any of my work and said it was fantastic.

The final section was kept a secret until I was done with the rest of the work. It turned out to be about how to pick up high school boys. I refused to have anything to do with it because that is illegal. I have no problem with their gay lifestyle or the rest of the site. I just didn't want to have anything to do with underage stuff or anything illegal.

I demanded most of my pay. I agreed that it would be OK to only be paid $800 more so that I wasn't being paid the final $100. Devin was ok with that, but John Biggs went postal and started making threats to destroy my reputation. He even made some comments that made me feel like I might be safer walking away from the money.

In the end, I asked Devin for just $500 since everyone agreed that my work was good and complete except for the illegal section. Devin refused and said it was John's decision. So I'm out the money. I was paid just $200 for $1100 worth of good work and received nothing but grief and threats for my work.

D  14th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
John Biggs of CrunchGear also defamed our company. He claimed we were spamming him. We have never sent a single unsolicted email to him or to anyone else ever in the history of our company. There are no exceptions.

It appears that he made up the story that we were spamming him because of a beef with a third party who isn't associated with our company. You can read about his other antics by doing a search for "John Biggs" on this site or others.

I have no comments about his lifestyle choices. My only comments are about his business practices. I wanted to confirm that he does seek to destroy the reputations of those he chooses to make his enemy. Sometimes his choice of enemies is baffling. We have never done anything to harm him, but we have become a target of his animosity.
N  14th of Jan, 2009 by
John Biggs loves the ween! Let me tell you! His latest websites, lemonparty.org, is a dating site for older men and he didn't pay me for the photos he took of our bingo game. But we did have fun, people. We had so much fun.
D  14th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This is ridiculous. I've worked with John Biggs for years. He's an honorable guy.
A  14th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
There's nothing ambiguous about John and Devin. Those guys are gay as football bats. You should have seen them in Vegas! Carrying on in front of Mr. Block like that! And Moby!

They're pretty big scammers too. John said he'd pay me "a billion dollars" (his words) if I ate a spoonful of cinnamon. I did, and had to go to the hospital. He paid me the billion (thanks john!) but didn't pay the hospital or ambulance fees! What a jerk! It's good to know that he's got Devin there to balance out his decision making, though. Devin has the final word on spending, because he's been blogging for so long. I'd probably hit that too if I were Biggs.

Diego, how's it going? I haven't seen you since that retreat at that pleasure farm up in Washington! Pretty lucky that you came across this complaint huh!

Speaking of ambiguous, how about this site updates its captcha so it doesn't use ambiguous characters like 0 and O?
D  15th of Jan, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Hahaha, this is hilarious. Nice try, "Charlotte." Love that your pal Diego is here too. Tell me, if these guys didn't pay you, why not just take them to small claims court? Wait, let me guess: Because it's all b.s.
A  15th of Jan, 2009 by
Last month John Biggs commissioned me to write him 101 dirty limericks. The deal was strictly "oral tradition", with publication rights retained by me, but after I declaimed all 101 for him he claimed that since he could remember only half of them that they weren't "memorable" enough and he'd only pay me half the agreed upon price. WHAT'S WORSE is that John Biggs CLAIMED that he only wanted the dirty limericks for playing the wit at classy parties but COME TO FIND OUT he was using them as PICK UP LINES for under-age poets in bookstore coffeehouses... J. Johnson Levinson