Chapel Sales Inc. / Fraud

1 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

On November 11, 2007, a black teenage boy accompanied by another black adult male approached me as I was working on my yard at my Miami, Fl. home. They were soliciting sales for magazines and other African American Literature; they said that my purchase would help the teenage boy acquire enough points to qualify for some type of educational program. He informed me that he was brought all the way from Atlanta, Georgia to Florida to sell the magazines and other books. As a result of his apparent sincerity, I wrote a check to Chapel Sales, Inc dated 11/24/2007, in the amount of $30.00 for an order of a magazine called Vegetarian Times. Full amount of purchase was supposed to be $52.00 so I told them I would send in the balance at a later time.

Fortunately, before I made out check for remaining balance I decided to look them up in the Internet just to check them out and see what kind of organization they were. To my surprise I found numerous complaints about them. All the comments are very similar to what happened to me and the story that I was told.

I guess I was taken for ride, but my only consolation is that they did not get me for the additional $22.00. I thank all of the individuals who took the time to write their comments and make others like me aware of what is going on.

This deceptive company that engages in very dubious business practices must be exposed; everyone be aware. Authorities need and should investigate this Company determine who they really are and punish them all.

Comments

16th of Jan, 2008

My story is similar: two college age Af Am kids talking about points and money to go to college; signed up for two magazines, gave 'em $20, and that was the last I heard (receipt said magazine delivery needed 4-6 weeks). Emailed Chapel Sales, gave 'em invoice #, etc. They wanted photocopy of receipt (sounds odd, eh? They must have no record of transaction). Sent it but am not expecting much to happen. As I said to CS, the sad part is that I probably won't buy from the next legit kid who comes to my door.

• Te
      1st of Feb, 2008

I too was a victim of the Chapel Sales scam. I wrote a check for $50.00 made payable to Chapel Sales for a magazine subscription. The young man named "Corey" claimed that the subscription would help him earn "points" for a scholarship to a historically black university in South Carolina. What a learning experience!

• Xs
      24th of Mar, 2009

Her is a different twist to the complains. I worked for chapel sales Inc approx. 15 yrs ago. THEY ARE A SCAM. I worked with them for about six months. They are NOT students looking to get to college, and there is no point system. In fact they prey on young people who are desperate for a job and living below average. They promise travel around the country and making lots of money selling books and magazine. When you go to work for them you find out that you only make a small commission on what you sell. They also give you a quota and your humiliate in morning sales meeting when you don't meet that quota. You then learn from veteran sales people to say and do anything to get a sale. I was very uncomfortable with their practice and just didn't feel it was right what they were doing and left after six months. If your thinking of buying from them DON'T. If you bought CANCEL.