Champion Jiu Jitsu Arlington Heights IL / Lack of Integrity

1 835 E Rand RdArlington Heights, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: (847) 797-1966

Assou Harvard A.K.A. Assou Hamdaoui with Champion Jiu Jitsu in Arlington Heights IL made an agreement with me in regard to my son taking jiu jitsu lessons at his studio. I was wary of signing a 12 mo' agreement but he assured me that I could get out of the agreement if I gave him written notice.

My son started the class in April 08 and in Aug 08 I provided written notice that my son wishes to discontinue his classes.

I received no response from Mr Harvard. After multiple attempts to contact him http://www.championjiu... I received an email in December of 08 from "Julianne" that said she was the one that made an agreement with me and she clearly stated the terms of the agreement (Both of which are a lie), and if i wanted a refund that i had to contact Educational Funding Company for it.

After multiple calls to Educational Funding Company I got in touch with a Cliff Quarrie who told me that he would assist on getting me a refund if I emailed him the corespondence that i had with Champion Jiu Jitsu noting my cancelation. The email he gave me was cliffquarrie@yahoo.com.

I sent multiple emails to Cliff Quarrie with no response. I had to again call into Educational Funding Company this time i asked for Nick Cokinos (Chairman of the company who markets himself and his company as teaching integrity) reached him and i explained my situation and he said that he would transfer me to someone that dealt with refunds.

The person i was sent to was "Villy" villy@efconline.com. He told me if i sent him the correspondence with Champion Jiu Jits AND Cliff Quarrie with Educational Funding Company that he would work on the refund issue.

I have not received a response from Assou Harvard, Cliff Quarrie, Villy@efconline.com, or Nick Cokinos regarding my problems.

Be wary of of doing business with Assou Harvard and Champion Jiu Jitsu as his word is NOT his Bond.

Be wary of Educational Funding Company because they are the billing agents for Champion Jiu Jitsu and the integrity I have seen them display is in direct conflict with how they market themselves.

Hopefully I can save others from the time/money andexperiences that I had to go through.

Sc

Comments

21st of Apr, 2009

I'm another sucker for Educational Funding Company. Can't get out of a karate contract for my grandson who has move back to Denver (0ver 30 miles away). Has anyone visited with a lawyer? I'm going to. If there is any justice in the world, this may be a class action suit. I can't believe that this contract is air-tight clad.

• Ef
      16th of Jun, 2009

On February 5, 2009, I received a call from Mr. J (Scammed). He expressed to me that he had been overbilled and was inquiring about a refund. I explained to Mr. J that we had information sent via Champion Jiu Jitsu Inc. showing 11 payments of $200 beginning May 10, 2008 and ending March 10, 2009. Mr J expressed his disagreement and told me his account was to have ended in August 2008. I told Mr. J I will look into the matter and that I or his account representative would get back to him regarding his concerns. I then called Champion Jiu Jitsu and left messages regarding Mr. J's account. I finally spoke to Champion Jiu Jitsu on February 5, 2009 and was told that they had already spoken to Villy (their EFC account representative) about the matter on January 23, 2009. On February 5, 2009, Villy spoke to Mr. J and told him we were unable to do anything about his refund because the monies collected were already given to the school and that he would need to sort the matter with Champions Jiu Jitsu, Inc.

—Cliff Quarrie, Educational Funding Company

• Vo
      21st of Jun, 2009

If you have a legitimate case, file an complaint with State's Attorney office. You should contact Lisa Madigan's office. Also file an complaint with Better Business Bureau.

• Fa
      26th of Jun, 2009

I have been with Champion Jiu jitsu for approximately 7 months now. During this time I have learned an incredible amount of jiu jitsu techniques. As a matter of fact I have won the North American Grappling Association ( NAGA) first place medal in both Gi and No-Gi twice this year. I have also competed in the Mundial World Championships and placed third this year in the blue belt category. All of this I have done with only 7 months of experience. I believe it is a testament to the teaching ability of Assou Harvard, the assistant trainers, and the facilities at Champion Jiu Jitsu. If you like to apply yourself, focus, and train hard, this school is the one for you. I am personally happy with Champion Jiu Jitsu.

• Ef
      29th of Jun, 2009

Dear Sir:

I am the Vice President of EFC, and I was out of the country for a significant period of during the time when your matter came up within EFC. Under usual circumstances I would be in charge of handling situations such as yours. After careful consideration of all the factors involved in your case, I have taken the step of refunding your account with the funds you dispute. I hope you will appreciate this extraordinary step. Please confirm to us that you have received the refund and we would appreciate it if you would update your online postings to reflect this as well.

Sincerely,

Mark Cokinos
    EFC Vice President

• Bj
      3rd of Jul, 2009

I'm also under the contract of Education Founding Company with Champion, and still have few months left to end the term, I'm definitely planning to renew the membership. I'm happy with the training there and improving my skills in BJJ with this academy in such a short time, compared to previous gyms I spent for a year. The contract was very clear, so I knew it was a 1 year contract, and it's the same as other martial art gyms in the area that I visited before. If you are not too sure if you will be serious, don't sign the contract. If you had signed it, that 's YOUR problem. Also, there were couple choices that were offered as enrollment options. There was a choices of, a short term program or a pay per class program, which allows you to not stick with a 1 year contract. There are so many royal students who have been here for many years with Champion. If Champion has any issues with business, I don't think the gym will be packed with so many students. You see the quality in the teachings at Champion, and all the students have such great personality, but they are also very skillful, so you will feel comfortable to train with them.

• Co
      29th of Aug, 2009

I too have trained with champion jiujitsu assou is a very good trainer and he is helping me to open a BJJ school in chicago on the southside 5828 south western and he has given me advice on how to run a school properly he is a man of honor and respect. sometimes we get caught up in the moment and forget the things we sign because we want to be with the best so people look before you leap because without him and champion jiujitsu i would have lost my drive for jiujitsu and drive to open my school in chicago COMBATZONE JIUJITSU & MMA (312)316-3590

• Gs
      10th of Jan, 2010

This is a response to the person from the lady that wanted to withdraw her son from Champion Jui Jitsu, , in the future you need to make sure that you read the membership agreement that states that you are signing up for a 2 month membership. if you join Balley's Health Spa for a 12 month membership, do they let you cancel anytime you wish to quit? No, i don't think so. Do not blame Educational Funding Comp;any, you are right they are only the billing company for Champion, and they go by the law, if you sign a 12 month purchase agreement, then you need to uphold YOUR end of the agreement! Only in the USA do you need to have a so called contract, because Americans do not honor their word, and yes, I am a US born citizen. EFC is an upstanding company, so do not blame them. As far as Champion, you need to read your membership agreement, If you move, you will need to show proof of your relocation, and school records to show that You are not trying to scam the billing company or your martial arts school. Remember that the martial arts studio also has bills, payroll, and other expense, they are not in business to cancel memberships unwarranted. It is a Business! So get with the program! Next time, enroll your child in the YMCA, you will get what you pay for! Just a reminder, the membership can be canceled for a relocation more than 30 miles from the school, or a doctors letter stating that your child is unable to participate in martial arts due toa physical problem if the condition persists more than a a certain amount of time. A lack of commitment or divorce, financial problems at home doe not warrant a cancellation. If you dont like your automobile, or its broken and in the shop getting repairs, can you call your bank and say you are not making you car payment this month because its not working? I think not! Same scenario my friend. One other thought, if your child cant use the classes now for some reason, i'll bet you that the school will allow you to pay for the classes now, and your child can use the classes at a later time if there is a time conflict, , Just a thought, , , , , , , hope this helped!

grandmastermicochero@yahoo.com
    ( martial artitst with 40 years experience and a student of business law )

• Am
      2nd of Feb, 2010

Would you be interested in joining in on a class action lawsuit against EFC? They need to be brought to justice! There are countless complaints against them not just on this website. They may have refunded you and you may be glad to be done with them- but let's not let them continue to get away with this on a daily basis!
    Amelia

30th of Apr, 2010

I' met him ounce when I just got my black belt in shidokan karate. I think I can take him out. He doesn't look so tough. Speaking of complaint I think we should just challenge him and if we win he should give us our refund

• Po
      16th of Jun, 2010

woah woah woah... I Know the EFC or one of its representatives did not release classified personal financial information on an individual and their account as it stands or stood. That is a violation of the FDCPA ans is such a FELONY

• As
      18th of Dec, 2010

I too am having a similar problem. I requested my account with Rock Solid Karate in Gainesville, GA be cancelled back in September. I was told to inform EFC about my change of address. I called and spoke to someone about my change of address and they said it would take 30 days to cancel the contract so I got charged for October. On November 8 I got charged again and called to ask why I was charged. They told me at that time I had to fax proof of my change of address and they would not refund Novembers fee. So I immediatly faxed my rental agreement showing my change of address and recieved an email back saying it had been recieved. On December 13 they charged me again. I called them and they said they never recieved the fax. I just emailed the owner of Rock Solid Karate and the person handling the account at EFC and forwarded the email showing the fax was received. I have requested I be refunded this last payment ( I should be asking for it all ) and urged Mr. Lee Sandt to stop using EFC to collect his fees. If I do not get refunded I am filing a complaint with the BBB as well as a claim with small claims court for the money I have been paying for 4 months with no services being recieved. I also happen to work in PR and have contacts at all the local papers in the Gainesville and Atlanta area. I will take this to the press. Its not right for people to be stolen from and I would be happy to join in the class action lawsuit. Feel free to email me at amysenn@gmail.com.

• Ba
      15th of Dec, 2011

I would be happy to join in on the class action law suit.. I cancelled my sons karate @ Rock Solid in Gainesville in June 2011... they turned my account over to collections and then had the gall to renew my contract AGAIN!!! Mr Lee Sandt has not helped me at all, they act as though you have no rights and they can charge you what ever they want... feel free to email me @ joypbarker@yahoo.com.

• Le
      29th of Dec, 2012

At Rock Solid Karate we always inform the member of what they are signing up for. Mr. Sandt and I always inform the new member that it is a commitment and how to cancel at the end of the agreement. There is a commitment when you enroll. You do this when you buy a car, sign up at a gym, buy a house, etc... Here is the problem with the people above. Once the contract has automatically renewed they come to us wanting to get out of their agreement even though their child has taken classes in that new period. Or when they want out of the agreement and we dont do as they ask and cancel right away they start to get ugly and make accusations. We have hundreds of happy students at our school who feel we have integrity and we do a lot for our community. By saying I have not helped you is wrong. I just did not tell you what you wanted to hear. People only hear what they want to hear unfortunately and then accuse of others of having no integrity.