Certegy Check Services / check denial

1 Hauppauge, NY, United States Review updated:

On May 2, 2009 I went to my local Sears appliance/hardware store to purchase a lawn mower. I had the crated lawn mower at the cashiers desk and wrote a check for the purchase and to my surprise was told by the cashier that my check was denied by certegy check services. I was told I could call the 800# that was printed on the back of my denied check. I could have made the purchase with a credit, or a debit card or gone to the atm and withdrawn the entire amount in cash, but did not. If Sears couldn't trust me, because they have Certegy check services screening all their checks, than I quess I can't trust Sears. I left the store with the crated lawn mower at the cashiers desk and vowed never to return. Just wrote a letter to Sears holding company to their ceo. Sent a copy of a reciept for a lawn tractor that I purchased from a different hardware store.Hope everyone that gets a denial from certegy check services, for what ever lame reason their computer model shows, takes their business else where. Certegy check services should go the way of the dinosaurs.Tell all your friends not to do business with any business that uses Certegy check services.

Comments

• Mi
      26th of May, 2008

This is a horrible company. They refuse or red flag checks for no reason. They refuse to explain what is going on. Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, Target, Walgreens, Restoration Hardware all use this company.

What an embarrassment.

• Wh
      2nd of Jun, 2008

How about trying to cash a stupid $30.00 payroll check at Walmart and being denied! This is ridiculous!!!

• Ti
      2nd of Jul, 2008

I wrote a check and it was denied. Last week I used my check card and it went through. I tried calling the company and was put on hold for 45 minutes. When I was finally spoken to I got the run around. They couldn't tell me why it was denied. I went to there web site and found several complaints on their company. I don't know why companies are using them. They are loosing all kinds of money.

• Di
      26th of Jul, 2008

July 24, 2008. After writing five checks -two to companies that use Certegy and three to my home town drugist, natural foods store, and local lumber yard-my sixth check to Albertson's for a months groceries, My check was declined. The reason I was given by Certegy was "...you do not fit an acceptable risk because there are too many checks written out of sequence...". Albertson's wanted me back also, but no doing. Embarressment is not my cup of tea.

• St
      6th of Aug, 2008

Same story wrote a check yesterday at Walmart, and Target. Today tried to write one at my local Kmart store and was denied! The money was in my account. Embarrassed with two kids in the store wanting their candy, I finally conceded and left humiliated! After calling the 800# and being told similar responses as the others on this sight, nothing wrong with my account or history, was to protect me, blah, blah, blah. And to which my response to the woman I spoke to on the phone that this is slander...I write many checks all over. And rely on my account. I did skip a book recently and feel it could be because of this reason? 60 checks different in less than a month. However, I am more than upset and the way this sight sounds it is going to be very difficult to get it cleared up easily or quickly. I will never shop at my local Kmart again. And believe me I am a good customer! I have written hundreds of checks to them and know the manager personally!! I really is a shame that businesses are losing customers because of them! I am not sure what the quick fix is?? Any suggestions??

• Tb
      16th of Sep, 2008

Same thing happenened to me I went to my local K-mart to gey a few things . no big deal shop there often wrote many checks certegy company denies my check I very confused this has never happened to me I'm wondering if this will happen again or what I agree with with others I was a loyal customer at k-mart and I will never shop there again. I'm not sure what to do next.

• Je
      24th of Sep, 2008

I just had this happen to me yesterday! It was a Macys too!!! I called my bank first and they told me there were hold holds and i had more than enough to cover the check. They said it was a code two which meant identity theft. I am going back to Macys today with a print out of every complaint, a large company like that should not be using such a bad service!!! I dont know if this is bad but i do feel so much better knowing that it is not just me.

• Je
      2nd of Dec, 2008

I tried to write a check at kmart and the same thing I know I had more than enough money to cover the check and when I called I talked to him and he said that my name was not on the system for writing bad checks but sometimes that just happens I had a cart of stuff harldy any cash and a store full of people. HOw embarassing is that to have them say my check was declined and then I had to void most of my purchase. This place is ridiculous something needs to be done about them..

• La
      10th of Jun, 2009

Well you do know that a check is not a guaranteed form of payment. A check is a piece of random paper that some one takes out of their pocket to sign. I would be surprised if someone didn't have a security system just for paper checks. I mean as a cashier I have no idea who that is or if that check is real or the id being shown isn't fake. I mean really. Who are you?

• Sm
      27th of Jun, 2009

I agree I too shopped at two local K-marts and my checks were declined. When I contacted Certergy Check Services they imformed me that there was no problem with my account or imformation it was just that system they use said that the check process fit a fraud possibility because of some explanation that they gave me that I still do not understand. K-mart has lost my business. You can't even write checks now

• He
      10th of Sep, 2009

Certegy is also used by 400, 000 other merchants across the us and canada.
    Sooooo good luck avoiding them.
    Also to everyone that keeps saying boo-hoo I can't write checks anymore blah blah blah
    THE METHOD OF PAYMENT YOU ARE CHOOSING TO USE (CHECKS) ARE A NON-GUARANTEED FORM OF PAYMENT.
    Get a debit card fast, because for all you fossils who don't realize it yet soon checks will be no more
    and places like certegy will also be no more. and thank god because that poor company has taken the liability of billions of dumb peoples checks and have suffered for it and then get to listen to you ### cry all day long because you couldn't buy little tommy his new bike.
    Well chances are you didn't have the money in your account anyways at the time you present your check
    (which btw is ILLEGAL) and tommys probably a selfish ### like you and probably doesn't derserve the damn bike anyways.

• Ro
      20th of Nov, 2010

I recently tried to cash a payroll check at Walmart and was denied by Certegy. This I cannot understand. If I had any bad credit or was overdrawn on my personal account and trying to kite a check, this would be expected. But to be denied cashing a company payroll check? I called their 800 # and got a computer voice that confirmed the denial, but gave no information as to why. Nor was there any online address available to inquire. I can either go to the 800# and listen to their computer voice, or write requesting a copy of my file. Why should I have to?

• Ro
      20th of Nov, 2010

• Da
      22nd of Apr, 2011

I too tried to cash a check for a pair of shoes for my husband and I also was declined from certegy. I was humiliated and embarrassed. I called my bank and they said there was no problem and then I tried to call certegy and was on hold for a half hour and still not get anyone. I am furious over this check company. I wish there was something we could do.