Certegy / certegy check services

1 Algona, IA, United States Review updated:

I recently went to K-Mart and tryed to write a check with a new account my husband and I had opened. I was declined and it was more than devastating being I had plenty of money in my account. I immediately called certegy when I returned home and they told me that I was declined due to it being a new account and not because I had anything on my record. I already knew that but politely agreed with the customer service representative. They then told me that they would send me a "gold application" to fill out with a voided check and that this matter would be handled. It has been weeks and today I finally received my response from them. I was still declined but they assured me that I should try the company in which I was declined to start with and see if it goes through. I have heard nothing but terrible things about certegy check services and feel as if they are the worst company out there. Why would I go back and embarrass myself again? How stupid would that be? I don't know what needs to be done but someone needs to get there crap right and fix this problem. It just happened to my mother-in-law here in the same town but different store. She has had her banking account for over 15 years. When I received my response letter, certegy didn't even have my name spelled correctly when I sent them a voided check as well as my information. What an irresposible company. So now I have to remember what places use this terrible check service so i do not get embarrassed again. I hope certegy knows how they are affecting the companies they represent because a lot of people will not even return to the places they have been humiliated at and certegy does not have to pay the price for that. The store does!!! I hope certegy goes out of business!!!

Comments

• Da
      28th of Nov, 2007

Three times in the last three months I have had checks declined at three different stores all which use Certegy to process checks. Each time I try to find out why, I get the same response, your transaction fits the pattern of a fraulent transaction. When pressed to explain, they refuse to tell me what that pattern is (its proprietry). Interesting fact is that when my wife writes a check on the same account at the same store, she is not declined.

Given the responses I have received from Certegy (and no help whatsoever in resolving the problem), I can only think of two reasons that they keep denying my checks:

1) Their computer algorithm is incorrect

2) They are harassing me

They deny that either is true but fail to offer anyother explanations.

Anyone know of a good lawyer? Is Certegy an example of a business that has run amok?

Dave Nickell

• Wi
      2nd of Jan, 2008

You don't have the right to pay by check. It is not legal tender. Ask your bank. They have a debit card you can use to access funds in your checking account and the retailer will know immediately if the transaction is good. With checks, the retailer has to wait DAYS to find out if your checking account has been closed, if a stop payment has been made on the check being used, or if the account owner has reported the checks stolen. The retailer loses if there is check fraud committed and they can't afford to take a hit like that. It's best if you stop using checks and start using debit cards and credit cards. Just ask your friendly neighborhood banker.

• Ho
      29th of Feb, 2008

Dave, I've had a similar problem with Certegy, where they neither offered explanation, nor resolution. If I am to register myself in their Gold program, then I should have no more check writing difficulties. I have a couple of problems with this. First of all, I have never committed any crime and I have no record whatsoever of writing bad checks. My phone call should have been suficient for them to see that this was true and to remove my name from their list. Secondly, as I look over their Gold membership application, there is a lot of personal information that they require, such as my employer's name, how many years I've been with the company, their phone number, and, of course they want to know my annual household income level, as well. Oh, and, by the way, it wasn't long ago that around 8.5 million people who are already registered with them had all of this information sold to marketing companies by a rogue employee of theirs. Not a very tight ship their running. But, the fact that I have been singled out by this company and don't even have the option of writing a check at places like Ross or Walmart and God knows where else, is a sort of harrassement. And why does Certegy care? It's not like I'm their customer. They just expect me to jump through their hoop or lose my check writing priveledges because they say so. Life would be simpler for me if I just comply, which is how most people think. But, instead, I'm investigating the legality of their type of harrassement and I plan on lodging every possible complaint with every possible agency.

• Sr
      15th of Jul, 2008

form last two months i am also suffering with customer care empolyes no response form them

• Le
      18th of Jul, 2008

Solution: Stop writing checks. Use a debit or credit card, or cash. Checks are dead.

• Mb
      1st of Aug, 2008

With all the complaints being filed against Certegy, why are large department store chains still using them? Two days ago I had a check in the amount of $9.06 refused by Sears! My debit card was stolen and I hadn't yet received the new one. The cashier looked at me like I had just robbed the place. I had enough cash to make the purchase, but not to regain my dignity. I have yet to get an answer on why my check was refused, other than "negative information from a third party."

12th of Jan, 2009

I tried to cash a check at Walmart a couple of days ago because I had to work during bank hours. The clerk told me that she could not cash my paycheck and that I needed to call this number to find out why. I went home and dialed the number and an automated system said that my check cashing paterns was showing signs of fraudulant behavior. I was not satisfied with this answer because I had never had any problems cashing my check there before. By the time I got a young girl from customer service on the line I was furious. She told me the same thing. I asked her for more details because I wanted to know if someone else was trying to cash checks in my name or what was going on. She said that that information was not available to the public. I cussed her out and planned on sending Certegy a NASTY letter. If that customer service girl is reading this, I'm sorry I know it's not your fault but you seriously need to find another job. If you are not going to cash someone's check at least give them details as to why. Certegy can suck a fart out of my a$$ for all I care.