Century Link / hi speed internet service

1 NC, United States Review updated:

I live in the country of NC. I understand it takes a while longer to get things here, such as hi speed internet service BUT I have been waiting for almost 6 years now! Started off with Sprint, then changed to Embarq, now CenturyLink. I had no say so in any of the changes. I don't even have the option of going to another phone company that COULD offer hi speed at this time. I had another phone company come out to install and they looked at the lines and informed me it would be against the law for them to use those phone lines because they were owned by another phone service. Embarq set me up to have hi speed installed over a year ago. The day before they were due out I was informed they had experienced a technical problem and would be unable to offer hi speed to me after all. A month ago I called Century Link to see if they knew when or if the technical problems of a year ago were ever resolved. Man on other end told me he'd send an e-mail to someone and let me know with in two days if and when I might could expect internet service at my location. Like I said that was a month ago and I'm still waiting for that call!

Comments

• Ce

Janice,

Sorry to read about your experience in getting DSL. I can't make any promises, but I'll be glad to see if there's anyway we can provide you with DSL. I've helped several other customers here on ComplaintsBoard.com. I'll look into it if you email me your account information. My email address is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

Thanks,

Joey H.

I'm also on Facebook and Twitter:

• Sh
      15th of Feb, 2010

I have CenturyLink too and I've had to fight with them tooth and nail to get bare minimum quality. My advice to CenturyLink is to stop boasting about your service and make it service that you can boast about. Fix your cables, get your servers working, and actually hire people who are knowledgeable enough and willing to help the customers.

• Pa

Hello Joey,

I will be cancelling all services with Century link as of tomorrow. I have also notified the VP Kristen McMillan and left her a lengthly message for her to return my call. I began with Century link back in late September. Was promised one monthly fee of $113.56 that would never be raised.

The second bill I received was in November at a whopping total of $202.00. I called up only to find out they were charging me installation fees for the Dish Network who by the way does NOT charge any of their customers installation fees, plus they proclaimed just because it was the state of Nevada they could charge any fees they liked.

Now of course these were never mentioned to me when I signed up. Well the next bill was $247.00. Mind you I was up to date on all of my payments and disputing the January bill since the idiots did not remove the phone service I cancelled January 7th 2010 nor did they remove the bundled Dish Network service I cancelled in late December.

Then they continued to tell me I had a previous balance which I did not and I have the proof with confirmation numbers and a bank statement that clearly shows all my payments to Century Link via debit card, yet Century Link is too stupid to record everything they do on the computers?

To make a long story short as of tomorrow I will never use Century Link again for ANYTHING. I have found another ISP and believe me it isn't Cox cable either. They are right in line next to Century Link.

I will be blogging about my bad experience with Century Link as well as convincing people NOT to use them. So hopefully with a bit of luck I will shut them down at least here in Las Vegas where we do have other options.

It might serve the company well to remember how to treat customers in a respectable manner and record every transaction on the computer when they are supposed to. I for one will not allow anyone else to go through what I did for the past three months. It was pure Hell.

• Ri
      18th of Feb, 2010

CenturyLink is a very poor quality phone company, definately no customer oriented.

24th of Mar, 2010

I feel your pain!!!Been calling about dsl for at least two years now Keep getting the generic stories from operators with no actual answers. I talked to a supervivser who was going to call me back last week after he looked into it. Still have not heard anything from him.What really upset me is they put a flyer in the newspaper for non customers to switch to their dsl and get 100 dollars.THEY ARE GOING TO PAY NON CUSTOMERS TO SWITCH AND THEY ARE NOT EVEN TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE BEEN WITH THEM FOR YEARS!!!.HOW PROFESSIONAL IS THAT?I am considering satelite internet and getting the magic jack and dumping centurylink.It will actually be cheaper. The only thing is I will lose my phone #. If I could keep that it would already be done!!Hopefully I can figure out a way to keep the # and go with someone else.

29th of Mar, 2010

Well I FINALLY got hi speed a week ago! I have to admit it has worked great! I must also say the tech guy that came out to install it was absolutely fantastic. I have an older computer and it was missing some driver needed and he went online and found it and downloaded it for me. Then some port wasnt working correctly...he got in my floor and worked on it until it was up and running smoothly. I can honestly say I have never had anyone go that far above the call of duty to install anything. And the customer service rep I talked to about signing up for the service was outstanding too! She answered all my questions and broke it all down to laymans terms so I wasn't confused about one thing. It may have taken almost 6 years and 3 different phone services, but if it continues to work like it has this last week I guess it was worth it! Joey H. I don't know if you had anything to do with my change of luck, but if you did a huge THANK YOU!!! If not at least you know my complaint has turned around to complete satisfaction with CenturyLink!
    Janice Butler

31st of Mar, 2010

Janice,

Glad to hear that everything is setup and working well. If you need any help just let me know. That's what I'm here for!

Joey H

8th of May, 2010

I too have been with the company through the times it was Sprint, then Embarq, and now Centurylink. For years I have been, emailing, phoning, and sticking my phone number in that damn "check availability" box, with no results. People all around me have DSL, including a brother who is about the same distance in the country as I am, and his boss who is even further out.

I'm not far away from civilization, maybe 1.5 miles as the crow flies, from Route 44, a main traffic artery though our country. I'm a few blocks from our school. If I type my zip code into the CenturyLink web site, it offers plans. If I put my address into an Internet provider search, CenturyLink shows up as available! When I turn on wifi on my iPad or computer, it is showing someone's network using the modem/ router that CenturyLink provides. That could be coincidence but all these things have only started lately. Before that if I did a provider search, nothing would show as available. And the zip code at the web site would bring up "not available".

When I call or email, I continue to get the same "You have to be within...not available...don't know when" that I have gotten for years and I'm tired of it. They do know when, they don't wake up one day and decide let's give these people service today! I'm tired of other people getting faster and faster speeds while I continue to not have any at all. In today's world living with dialup makes the Internet practically useless.

I would have canceled my phone service long ago if I didn't at least want to have dialup to check email, which is about all you can do.

10th of May, 2010

cherhall,

I'm also sorry to read about your experience in attempting to get DSL. Similar to my response to teh above poster, I can't make any promises, but I'll be glad to see if there's anyway we can provide you with DSL. I'll look into it if you email me your account information. My email address is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

Joey H

• Vl
      16th of Jun, 2010

I just have one question, Why doesn't CenturyLink have the baseball channel or offer the baseball package like Cox?? It is the ONLY reason we do not switch. My husband will NOT do without his baseball.

Vickie

• Su
      21st of Jun, 2010

well i pay for a 10mb connection here in ohio, sometimes it is but most of the time it's barely a 1mb. i'm sooooooooo sick of centurylink, i had embarq dsl for years, loved it, it was rock solid but now that centurylink has taken over it's more like cable internet. slow as hell at primetime when i want to be online
    thanks centurylink
    i have tryed to call there help line 4 times in tyhe last two weeks only to be put on hold for over 45 min. each time. tryed to do the online help, they tell me to do the same thing over and over again, check my speed, then tell me to call the help line, to be put on hold for 45 min.

• Sh
      25th of Jun, 2010

So this 'internet provider' can barely provide internet. After finding out that my business only had 1.5 Mbps, we were upgraded to 5 Mbps, along with a new modem being sent for free. Sounds good so far right? Well sounding good is as far as it does. Companies like this hope that people wont call in and complain because they are so concomitant they can't handle any thing or do anything right. After running their FTP speed test at the direction of one of their technicians we found that the speed was too slow to even run the test! This was AFTER we supposedly had the speed upgrade.

Then there was the modem. After spending about four hours on the phone with numerous customer service reps, all of who gave me wrong tracking numbers for the modem that hadn't even been shipped. After more calling I found that the order hadn't even been put in. The last person I talked to during the day said the he put the order in and that it would be delivered by a local tech to my business the next business day, which would be a Friday, and that I would get a call 30 to 45 min prior to the delivery. After hearing this I was satisfied, but as with almost anything dealing with Century Link, the satisfaction doesn't last long. I found that instead of getting a free modem like I told, we would be paying rent for one.

The next day came and I was waiting for the call from Century Link. My father came in and told me that a Century Link van had been in front of my building. Upon hearing this I called Century Link asking if it had been delivered. I was told that it had been. I was never given a call and the rep said that the request had appointment times between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. I had asked the rep that I talked to the previous day numerous time if he had even the slightest idea as to when the tech would arrive and he said that they don't know that information. So I run up to my business to find the modem, nothing was there. I called them again, which I'm currently still on the phone with them, and apparently the modem had been shipped out, and there was no tech going to deliver the modem.

The tech I'm currently on the phone with gave me the exact same tracking number I was given yesterday, and it's still invalid, he's now trying to pass the buck, which doesn't surprise me. As it stands now, the effects of the upgrade should be seen by Monday, and the modem should arrive that day as well. We shall see...

• St
      28th of Apr, 2011

I agree with the complaints. Ever since Sprint sold to Embarg and Embarg was sold to Century Link the service has declined with it. Orginally the 1.5 mbps Internet was 1.5 down and 740 up. now under Century Link it is 1.5 mbps down and you are lucky to get 450 kbps up, which just leaves your system wide open for an attack with limited defenses. You have got fiqure the attack speed is coming at the system 3 times faster than the response speed. Century Link will probably tell it balances. No it does not. It does not even balance mathmatically. Then Century Link will tell you to install their security system, but it is still the same, because your web browser is moving 3 times slow than the attack speed. The firewall and antivirus softwares first line of defense is the web browser. If they what to respond just make the representative responding has or had a Class A Computer Repair license or an Infrastructure Technican Certification.