Century Link Dsl / misrepresentation of services and fees

1 NC, United States Review updated:

Let me start by saying I spent 2 hours and 13 minutes on the phone with Century Link this afternoon.

My internet connection had seemed slow lately. I opened a chat with their customer service who had me run a speed test. I was at like 223 download and 120 upload. The rep advised me to do a reset of the modem and power it down. I did that and reconnected with a rep who said I just needed to call technical services. So I did that which began the 2hrs and 13 minutes. The first associate had me run another speed test which was 487 download and 123 upload. She advised all I could be getting (due to my line type subscription) was 512 and the 487 was within range. I was still not satisfied so I was passed off to "Advanced" support. Advanced support advised he had tested my modem and it was fine and confirmed my line subscription was only for 512 but it appeared 768 was available in my area. Of course, he could not help me any further so he passed me off to customer support who had "high call volume with a wait of app. 38 minutes". Well Valerie got on the line many minutes later and informed me I was paying for the1.5 speed (Much faster than the 768 I was inquiring about.) So I questioned why I was paying for 1.5 but only getting 512. Valerie did not know and offered to issue me a credit of 24.99 and charge me 19.99 (Service for 768). I questioned why she was only refunding me one month when I had been paying the 24.99 for 1.5 for at least a year and obviously not getting it. She told me it was because this was the first time I called to ask. Confused, I asked if I was supposed to call every month to ensure I was getting the service I assumed Century Link was providing since they were charging me for it. She explained that I might have been getting 1.5 sometime in the past, she did not know so she would not credit me more than one month. So, I asked, how could I have been paying for something that she now tells me I am not even eligible to get. She said the facilities could have changed. She got frustrated and said I would have to talk to a technical support person. After many more minutes of waiting, a technical service support associate joined the call and said he was going to tell me what happened and then explain how they were going to fix it. He said that they had dropped the ball...when I began getting this service there was a high volume of service in the area so the meters allowed for 1.5. however new providers had been arriving in the area and customers had been changing service (duh...) so the meter volume was lowered and they failed to notify me as well as failed to lower my bill. He offered to give me a credit of 12 months worth of the $5 difference in costs between the 768 and the 1.5 (See they say they don't even have a rate for 512 anymore- apparently it was 24.99/mo.) He then went on to explain that it appeared there was some work being done in my area and periodically I should call them and inquire if a faster speed was available and if it was, they could change it and it may even be cheaper... So starting Monday, I should have 768 speed and a $60 credit and I guess I will make a monthly call to them to make sure I am getting what I paid for.

Here is how you check your speed.

Enter your phone number (with dashes) and click tests. Make sure you are close to the speed you think you are paying for.

Later in the evening, my neighbor calls and says he saw the email I sent everyone about century link and that he gets 1.5. So I call them back. Explain the situation about how my neighbor gets 1.5. The rep tells me that all I am getting is 768 and my neighbor can call if he wants. I three way him in and (by the way, he is a networking major at ECU). He convinces her to have meter test done and to set my line at 1.5. I run 1.5 ALL weekend with no problem. Century Link calls Tuesday night and said Meter read only set my line at 1.0 and they don't offer that speed so they will be bumping my line and my neighbors to 768. So I asked if I have been using it why can't I just have it? She could not tell me. This is the only ISP here. I am ready to move.

Ag

Comments

• Vi
      17th of Mar, 2010

I just had a similar incident in Florida. The time spent was very close to the same amount of time the customer above spent; only I was disconnected and had to call back and wait. I spoke to one guy who help me run some tests, connect a laptop to the modem only (since we also have wi-fi), he duly noted we were having problems and got me to Advanced support as well. I asked him if I was going to have to run more test and he said no they should schedule someone to come out to the home. WELL, it didn't work out that way. I spent more time with Advanced Support, he wanted me to run more test and said he could NOT send someone out because they would not know what to do and basically he wanted me to sit at my computer and watch the lights on the little black box. Does all people have this type of "free time" on their hands? I think not. Then he asked me to run a Speed test...which he took me to a site called: speakeasy.net. Chose the city closet to me, ran the test and got a 5.43 Mbps response, which he said was very good. Hmmmmm, the only problem is----we are PAYING for 10.0 Mbps. As you can imagine I was pretty frustrated with the whole situation and Century. He even got to the point of speaking to me as a child who just didn't understand and that it is very technical and he was the only one who had the knowledge to do whatever he is suppose to do. Well, it is to the point that we are now looking to going to an Air card and lose the home phone and DSL. There is no such thing as customer service anymore and it truly is sad.

• Sk
      15th of Jun, 2010

CenturyLink (Embarq) finally installed fiber optic DSL lines on my road in Nov. 2009. Before that the only Internet available in this part of the county was satellite. I had HughesNet for nearly 5 years, paid $70 a month for it and had dismal service. Getting DSL was wonderful after putting up with that. For 6 months the DSL ran great. I initially had 1.5 Mbps and a couple of months ago they offered 3 Mbps. I had never experienced such speed before. Then, the bottom fell out about 3 weeks ago. Suddenly, we had .5 Mbps. I have spent hours on the phone with the tech people to no avail. I downgraded back to 1.5 because I couldn't see paying for 3 Mbps when I'm only getting dial up speed. I keep getting excuses like acceleration speeds being reset to line problems to the DSLam. Engineers are supposed to be on it. I was told that normally these problems are fixed within 48 hours. Then they closed my work ticket out yesterday and the automated message I received said the problem was fixed. It IS NOT fixed! I'm still getting only .5 Mbps download speed! This is worse than HughesNet. I feel I will continually get the runaround on this because my local CenturyLink knows the people in this area can't get any other Internet unless they're willing to shell out big bucks for satellite or go back to dial up, which isn't an option for us since our newer computers didn't have phone modems installed in them. I would advise anyone who has the option between cable Internet and DSL to take the cable. When we were still living in the city limits cable was what we had and had very little problems with it. Certainly nothing like this. We used to have our cell phone service with Embarq. Last summer we were told they were closing that department to concentrate on building their DSL business. They're doing a sorry job at it! My husband and I have had the same phone number with them for over 21 years, when they were still Sprint. But if they don't get this fixed, my husband is seriously thinking of upgrading his Verizon plan and dropping our landline with CenturyLink altogether. I guess I'll just have to go with Wild Blue or Verizon wireless Internet. There is no excuse for such lousy service as we're getting from CenturyLink. Avoid them if you can!!!

• Rp
      7th of Jul, 2010

Well, to start I want to thank you. I currently have hughes and agree it is dismal service that is extremely over priced. My problem with Embarq started one and half years ago when I also was notified that DSL was now an option for us. I called had it set up and the appointment was cancelled the next day stating service was not avalible. So no big deal. Then six months later get notice in mail there is now an extended service. I call get it set up the next day I recieve a call appointment cancelled not avalible. I call ask them what is going on they stated that I live just outside of the extended area and that the codes in their system that is telling them that the service is avalible will be removed. Now we go on about six more months and would'nt you know it again we are notified that the extended service problem we were having is no longer an issue and the problem has been fixed. So again I set up an appointment questioning the customer service rep and asking her are you sure I don't like taking time off work for these appointments and getting cancelled. Well, about two days later my equipment shows up as you can guess I am amazed. So I am thinking great. Well about a week later I get a letter and it cancels my order and now I am not getting DSL and I get to take the time to send back the equipment. After reading your problems I dont think I will even consider this anymore and just be happy with the desmal service from hughes.

7th of Jul, 2010

rpoetz,

I'm also sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with our company. I'll be glad to look into the issue for you. Can you email me your name and account number? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. CenturyLink's Customer Outreach has been helping customer's online for over two years. Please let us know what we can do to help! Thanks!

• Sb
      12th of Jul, 2010

Illegaly set up an account that is now sent to collections, for services never requested nor used. Failure to provide any proof of services used.
    This company set me up with an account without direct permission from me and continued to charge me for a service that I have never accepted nor used
    I called for a quote for services in Feb (2/'10). I was informed they needed my social security number to determine if I needed a down payment in the quote. I declined services and went with a different provider. A week or so later I received equipment from them, I called and asked why they sent it to me and why an account was even set up for a service I never accepted. The sales rep at that time sent me a return slip to return the equipment and assured me the account was shut down. I returned the equipment that was never taken out of the box. I received a bill on April 24th informing me I was delinquent on my payments and that my service was being suspended. I called (4/24) to inquire why the account was still active and inform them I did not order the product nor use any services, I was told I was still respoable for the payment and at the very least a disconnect fee of over a hundred dollars. After I was transferred to four different people I was informed they could not help me because I gave them my social security number and used there services (of which they have failed to show proof of). This company has condoned deceitful and fraudulent practices to bully and swindle money out of me. I give my address and social security number to apply for a job, this does not mean I have the job. I also give the same information to get a quote for insurance, that does not mean I have insurance. In this situation Fraud and Extortion have been applied.
    I have gone through the Better Business Bureau and still no proof has been provided prooving I aproved of the account or used services!

12th of Jul, 2010

sboisse,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had with our company. I'll be glad to look into the issue for you. Can you email me your name, phone number and/or account number that is in reference to thsi issue? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com. I'll be glad to see what I can do to help. Thanks.

• Ze
      25th of Aug, 2010

We've been customers for 1.5 years now and as of the last several months the service quality has dropped below all acceptable standards - we're paying for '10MBps' but on a good day we're *maybe* getting 2MBps with numerous disconnects and extreme variability of available bandwidth.This very moment we're 'enjoying' 0.7 MBps down (and that's based on Centurylink's own speed test).

We called tech support, had a ticket opened only to find out that the ticket was closed by them (without telling us!) the very next day because of some kind of magical outage in our area that was 'fixed' and was supposedly the cause of our trouble (trouble that's ongoing for several months, got to be some outage!). We re-opened the ticket and today a technician showed up (8 hours later than the window they gave us). After he tested the modem configuration he found that the modem was magically dialed down to 4MBps maximum throughput (how???) - and when he tested things he briefly got 9MBps at which point he left. Needless to say the bandwidth shrank as soon as he left and (as mentioned above) we're back to Stone Age service level. The real issue remains unresolved.

We tried the wireless option (WiMax from Sprint/Clearcast) - and even though we get dismally poor signal (1-2 bars on the modem) we still get better bandwidth (~2 MBps) than the SausageLinks actually delivers. It's a shame that it's not enough for our needs or we'd simply switch right freakin' now. I am seriously considering cobbling together a directional antenna/repeater combo however available solutions that can boost WiMax spectrum reliably cost a lot...

If CenturyLink wants to reach me, please email: artem (at) xtals (dot) org

26th of Aug, 2010

zelig255,

Email sent. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Email is coming from Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

• Id
      15th of Sep, 2010

Centurylink told me that I would get 3MB of service. I am only getting 3 Mb. I guess they take me for an idiot but I know the difference between MB and Mb. I used to get 3MB when Centurytel owne it but since they have give me the run around about my service. Friday will be my last day with Centurylink. I am going to have my telephone service discontinued. They are one company that misrepresents their product and enough is enough.

16th of Sep, 2010

idriveatitleist,

This is Joey with CenturyLink. Sorry for the confusion over the DSL speed you were sold. Most of the DSL products we offer are listed as Mb (megabit) not MB (megabyte). If you need any assistance with your account just let me know. You can email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

• Pe
      9th of Dec, 2010

I checked this forum the other day and found Joey from CenturyLink's email and contacted them regarding similar problems. I signed up for 10mb service but days later upon checking I was only getting 4mb service. I went round and round with the chat people (and thank god I printed off the transcripts!) They tried to tell me I signed up and was paying for 4mb service, and that was all that was available. I then printed off the web page showing the 10mb offer and the price I was paying. I ended up cancelling and going elsewhere. Joey helped me avoid paying a cancellation fee after making contact and forwarding the information. Finally someone at a company that understands business relationships! If you have legitimate problem with them contact Joey and tell your story like I did, and of course document any contact with people on commission! They will promise you anything to make a sale. If you document they you have a valid argument!
    Roger in Lake City, MN

• Sk
      9th of Dec, 2010

I just want to update my complaint of nearly 6 months ago. After several outages, while the service was actually working, I upgraded back to 3 Mbps, from 1.5. I figured that sooner or later they just had to get the problem fixed. I was told that it was the DSLAM. Well, lo and behold, it has never gone out again and is keeping consistant speeds according to our plan. I guess since it was so new, there were bugs to get out. Our outages always occurred during lightning storms and could take up to two days to fix. Every time it stormed we gritted our teeth and hoped it wouldn't go out again. It really is so much better than satellite Internet, if you don't have problems with it! And, I think 3 Mbps is more reliable, if that's possible. Maybe it's just the way it's set up, or maybe it's rigged to cause problems if the customer doesn't have the more expensive package (hehe, just joking).

• Id
      1st of Jan, 2011

Will the recent FCC ruling affect the speed of my internet? I used to be real fast, now I'm on the slow side. I hope it makes them update their equipment or get out of the internet business and let someone else take it over that knows how to run it.

• La
      24th of Jan, 2011

I have to agree that centurylink is the worst service I experienced over the years gosh was I wrong when I signed up. The sales guy told me all those good connections and great performance but I guess, since I live in Las Vegas NV, my gamble did not give me the jackpot . I takes 4.5 hrs to download 513 MB in the speed of 37 KB/sec. Then when I watch a movie it hickups through the film every other minute it comes and goes...took me tonight to watch a 1.5 hr movie 2.5 hrs. and they call that great service. Calling the service is a lost cause, besides getting "we apologize" there is not much they do or know.

• Cl
      24th of Jan, 2011

Centurylink is ok, as far as customer service, but their connections aren't any good. I have the 10MBS package, but I don't even get 6mbs. at any given time. I have been with them for a few years, but I am getting ready to go with Roadrunner. Better speeds at the same price. Centurylink throttles connections, I am pretty sure of that and I would not recommend them to anyone at this time.

LasVegasnevada and clicksrank,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you all are having. I'll be glad to look into your troubles if you email your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

ReachOut@CenturyLink.com

• Dv
      24th of Jan, 2011

I Live in North Texas; I was signed up not being told that my area had frequent speed issues 1 hour day worked. Slower then Dial UP! Called Tech Support they said it is a know issue for the last 5 months and the estimated time of fix was another 4 months. Seems Shady! Called customer support was told I would have to cancel or just pay the full price until it was fixed. O had service for 3 days and they wanted to still charge me for turning on service when they knew they had an issue. WOW this company is a scam...

dvwrath,

I'm also sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company. I'll be glad to investigate your concerns. Can you email me your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com? My email is Joey@CenturyLink.com.

ReachOut@CenturyLink.com

• Ga
      27th of Jan, 2011

Isigned up for DSL service in the "Deep Creek" area of Punta Gorda 1 month ago. I am paying for 4Mbps but am receiving 05. - 2.5 during peak usage hours and 4.o only when most are asleep or at work. I have kept a log of the speeds using www.speedtest.net and have submitted them to CenturyLink. After one month of them acting as though they were trying to identify the problem, I finally managed to get a supervisor to acknowledge that they have 98% trunk usage on the line creating the problem. It was only after I could logically demonstrate the correlation between time of day and speed that I received this admission. In addition, for the past week they indicated someone in their chronic issues department would be in contact to help fix the problem. The same person who finally acknowledged the overload issue today also let me know that all the inferences to the issue have been kicked up to their chronic team were untrue. The best I can say for CenturyLink at this point is that at least they have one honest employee working intheir company!

27th of Jan, 2011

Gator149,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you're having. I'll be glad to see when the issue in your area will be fixed. Just email me at Joey@CenturyLink.com and include your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.