Celebrity Resorts / Timeshare Complaint

United States, Hawaii Review updated:
We have a Celebrity Resort timeshare in Waikiki. We paid our dues for this year ($700.00) and have just been told that due to poor financial planning on the company's part, we cannot use out timeshare unless we pay an additional $695.00 "special assessment". In addition to loosing this year, if we fail to pay them $695.00, it will be reported to a credit agency, etc... This is the SECOND "special assessment" we have had to pay to this company due to POOR FINANCIAL PLANNING on THEIR part since 2000. It has happened twice that we know of with this company. It could happen again. If you choose to buy a resort affiliated with Celebrity Resorts, it could happen to you. If you are planning to buy a timeshare, read all of the online reviews about this company. There is an old saying-"buyers beware"...it applies to this company.

More Celebrity Resorts Complaints & Reviews

A  12th of Feb, 2009 by
We just got our notice today and are so angry that we can hardly speak. We have felt this was a rip-off since Celebrity took over Leisure Resorts, when they went into bankruptcy. We lost access to the resort in Vegas, which was the real appeal to the deal. Now we are stuck with this property and have never even seen it. I am currently looking into what our legal options are about the "special assessment" due in March. This was to be our last year tied to this property and I was willing to chalk this up to experience, but now I want justice.
A  15th of Feb, 2009 by
I too have paid my fee's and just received my "special assessment", we as owners need to look into the legality of this and possible class action against Celebrity Resorts. I don't know how to get this rolling, but I will be contacting people asap regarding this matter.
A  16th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I spoked to the corporate office in Florida about the special assessment fee of $695.00 . Apparently, if we don't pay the amount by due date march 15, we will be sent to the collection agency. We are also not allowed to use our week there unless payment is made and mostly we can't bank the week to RCI exchange unless payment is received. We all know that this is the last year we are able to use this timeshare, unless something else comes up.
In that letter it also says that if owners fail to pay the amount, they will have to force to close the property as early as april 30, 2009. I would rather have the property close rather than pay another $695.00. It will be too bad that I can't use it this year anymore if it closes, but it's still better than paying.

I am sending this complaint to our ABC news correspondent Michael Finney . He is very good in helping people with valid complaints like this one. We all need to stick this this together. I hope it will all work out for all of us.
A  16th of Feb, 2009 by
We too have paid our dues on time and in full and now we're being assessed again. We have until 3/15 to make the payment. I'm contacting the AG in Hawaii regarding this. I don't know why we're having to pay $40, 000 in serverance pay along with a $1, 150.000 in projected 2009 deficits. We also question the "Expiried Memberships" and provision for bad debt. I say close it - the sooner the better.
N  5th of Mar, 2009 by
Like everyone else we have also paid our mf in a timely and faithful way. We will not be paying the s.a. The resort will probably be closing earlier than December. One cannot even reserve after May 1. We were there this past jan and they told us they will probably resort to be a nightly hotel rental. They changed their name from Celebrity resort-waikiki to White sands development llc in July of 2008. The company is listed with the Hawaii dept of commerce and consumer affairs as "This business is not in good standing". If you pay your special assessment you will probably not get any use of the resort. They also keep changing the time frame for the expiration-they are now trying to extent it to March 2010. Stick together, don't pay, send in a letter explaining why not and hopefully they will close the resort!!
A  11th of Mar, 2009 by
We have been attempting to get a detail breakdown of the forecast. In mid Feb we emailed and phoned an Anne Thompson to request the information. When we didn’t get a response we contacted a Mitch Frankle and he said he would have it sent out on Feb 27th. When we hadn’t received anything by Monday the 9th we called again. This time we were told Mitch is no longer there. We were given the name of Jeff Ingram the VP of Operations. We called him and his secretary passed us off to a Dave. He couldn’t provide any more information then what we had. He said Anne has all the numbers. We have left a VM with Jeff requesting the breakdown. We want to know where the $ are going. I suggest if they’re not forthcoming then we don’t pay. You might want to call Jeff directly. His number is 407-996-3000 Ext 53062
A  23rd of Mar, 2009 by
We have always paid our dues as well. Due to a wrong deposit into our RCI account a few years ago, I started insisting that the week be set & deposited with RCI before I would authorize payment of the MF. For our final year of the lease, I wanted to deposit the week early for maximum trading power. I called the about 5-6 times over the past year & a half to do that, and each time I was told to call back in a couple of months because they could not deposit the week at that time.
When I finally paid the fee last month (just to get it over with & under the threat of "bad credit report") I was told a deposit would be made to RCI within 3-8 business days. Instead after 9 business days I too received the 2nd bill for $695.
They took my 1st payment on 02/19/2009 knowing full well that a week would not be deposited into RCI. This is obvious because the 1st complaint on this site is posted 02/09/2009. What they are doing is clearly fraudulent.
A  25th of Mar, 2009 by
I just paid my fee as well, then was sent to scheduling to reserve my week. Now, I really don't want to use it, the place is a dump, but I will give it to my son to use. I was told that I couldn't secure a week unless I paid the $695.00. This is wrong, I will join up with anyone wanting to get some justice now. I can be contacted at kharrison@pier99.net.
A  27th of Mar, 2009 by
We too are caught up in this injustice. What a rip off! We need to get a class action suit going against this company. I have contacted the Better Business of Florida to complain.This is where their parent company offices are. Please send a complaint to this agency. If anyone is ready for a class action suit, I am in favor. If so, contact me at kathylou13@msn.com
A  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
Same thing here. I feel that this special assessment is ridiculous. They said they do not want to let people go or close resort early.
Don't they know we are in a recession and timeshares are a luxury, not a necessity. My opinion is they should do whatever is required using the yearly maintenance fees they have already collected. If that means laying off people or closing the resort early, so be it. I haven't paid the special assessment either. I am sure if I pay it and the resort closes anyway, I will not be getting a refund.
Same here on the class action suit. afd421@nycap.rr.com
A  5th of Apr, 2009 by
Class action suit, yes. debi@markofdesign.net. We will not pay the assessment. My lawyer told me last time that he didn't see any provision for special assessments. If they touch my credit, I will definitely go after them. Close the nasty scam down! Man will we be glad to get rid of it. I will also be filing a complaint with Tom Martino "the Trouble Shooter" and the BBB. -Debi
A  6th of Apr, 2009 by
File a complaint the the Florida Attorney General.
A on-line complaint form can be found here

AVR sent me a color document headed "IRON CLAD Guarantee NO MORE SPECIAL ASSESSMENT BILLS!".
When I did not pay last year they suspended my membership.
This year they sent out the invoice for annual membership and after I paid they sent out the special assessment. If I had known about the special assessment I would not have paid the annual membership.
A  7th of Apr, 2009 by
I'm up for a class action suit for sure. We are getting hit with $25.00 late fees every other month and interest every month on our balances. I took out a loan to pay the annual maintenance fee in January to get them off of my back and rid myself of them. I sighed with relief that this was the last payment I ever had to make to them and then I got the special assessment. I told them that with what I could only pay them $35.00 a month and asked them to work with me on the late fees and interest. The answer was no.
A  8th of Apr, 2009 by
Please include me in the interested parties for a class action suit. Our email is rickandjenn@hotmail.com. We too were relieved in January when we thought we were done and now, we are livid.
A  10th of Apr, 2009 by
I also have received a letter regarding the tax increase. I would like to be included in the class action suit. I was so upset to receive the letter from them. I think it is terrible and they should not be able to get away with this. Lets all stick together on this.

My e-mail address is sylparrino@msn.com
A  12th of Apr, 2009 by
Hi All
We also received special assesment after paying our maintenance in good faith.
please include us in any updates or action taken.
We canot let them get away with such disonest buisness practices.
A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
Please include us in the class action law suit.
Also contact FBI agent Harper @ 407-875-9976

A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
I, too, will go in on a class action suit! I live in the Denver metro area and didn't think about contacting Tom Martino!! Let me hear from you Debi! my email address is lsk@mywdo.com. I have a question for Frankerbauer. What does the FBI have to do with this? I will contact FBI agent Harper if it will do any good. Let me know!! Now we have to find out who has the best contact for an attorney. Debi, who is your attorney and do you think he is willing to take a class action suit?
A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
We have a Celebrity Resort timeshare in Waikiki as well, so I need to say no more. Include us too if this goes further towards a class-action suit. We're in the same situation, paid our dues on time for years, hoping to end at year-end 2009 - learning our lesson as well.
Can we ask if anyone has a copy of the "Declarations of Conditions, Covenants, and Restrictions"? If anyone does, could you email to us. Of course, when I called Celebrity this morning, I was asked what I needed it for, but they haven't gotten back to us. We're at sjennis@eartlink.net.
N  16th of Apr, 2009 by
Finding out that Celebrity is not willing to send out any information requested.
there is also a nice thread regarding white sands on
resort regions-hawaii-white sands
keep posting so we can all keep updated