celebration gym/ fitness center / jealousy/ harrassment

1 Orlando, FL, United States Review updated:

I have been training in mixed martial arts for 11 years, since I was a kid. I have my diplomas and badges, and two titles. Now I am a father of four children, I am 32 years old. To get rid of some daily stress I decieded to join a gym to blow off some steam. Before I decided to become a member of the gym, I first joined for a monthly membership. While I am in the gym, I cannot help myself I practice some of the moves that I practiced every day. While I was practicing I received very bad looks from the trainers, but I never paid them any attention; I used to tell myself that it was in my head. Then in November 2007 I paid the lifetime membership fee which is around $300 and I commited to pay the $70 monthly fee. As a father of four children this is too expensive, but I rather spend my money in the gym then waste it anywhere else. When I first signed in I used to do a lot of cardio work and martial arts. I felt that sometimes I used to attract attention from people who have not been exposed to live martial arts before. What I did not expect is that I would become the #1 enemy to the personal trainers. One day two highschool students, Ishuia and Stephan, come up to me asking me if they could break a sweat with me. I told them that I did mind. 3 days later after meeting them everyday I have been watched by the trainers and getting all the dirty looks from them, then one of the trainers decided to finally walk up to me. In a very unprofessional manner with a raised voiced she asked me, "are you training these people!" I was confused the way I was treated but I responded, "No we are breaking a sweat together." Then in the same tone as before she responded, "you have no right to train them or anybody." I told her, "who is talking about training we are only working together." Then she said while walking away, "Well I just wanted to let you know!" After this the energy and excitement that I had to workout was gone, I felt down and found myself going to the locker rooms to shower and then to work. At work co-workers could see the dissapointment on my face they asked me what was wrong, and I told them the story. When I got home I also told my family. No one could see any fault in me, some of them told me, "it's racism baby!" The next day the students walked up to me, still feeling down for some reason I told them, "sorry I cannot break a sweat with you anymore." So they walked away feeling dissapointed and I felt gulity and also dissapointed why does it have to be this way. Even after this the dirty looks and being watched didn't stop. Then I went out of the country for three months and came back in September. Things started again, being watched, dirty looks, all the time. I addressed this matter with several people and no one had a response for me but just some bad words like "racism, " "prejudice, " "jealousy." So I decided to ignore them do my work and leave in peace. A month later I was working out lifting weights feeling energetic. I was working my chest with the dumbells in the free weight room, I was on top of the extra floor padding. I did as much as I could and I dropped the weights. Then a lady that I only see on weekends walked up to me and yelled in my face in front of all the other members, "DON'T DROP THE WEIGHTS!!!" After this I could see that there was a big target on me and I started believing in all these prejudices reasons why. So I decided to go downstairs and file a complaint, it was around 9pm and there was no one in charge but the people at the front desk. I discussed the matter with them in which they were helpful on the contrary to the people upstairs. I felt like I went to some different building other then the same one as the gym. I withdrew my complaint and let the complaint stand as a verbal one due to the kindness of the people downstairs. 2 days later I was working out in the free weight room as intense as I normally do. One of the male trainers, who have been giving me dirty looks from day one, walked up to me because he was not happy with my grunting and the weights clanking together. He told me in a very unprofessional manner in front of everyone, "Be quiet, people are trying to concentrate!" I responded to him, "I too am a person who is trying to concentrate please do not disturb me again." I felt down and told myself that this was not going to stop me from coming every day putting my heart and soul in working out, which I love to do. 2 weeks later one of the students, Stephan, who still continues to go to the gym since last year, walked up to me asking me if we could spot one another in the weights. So I told him, "Sure, I could use a spotter." So we have been working together since Monday [protected]). So on Thursday [protected]) one the female trainers walked up to me and told me, "I want to talk personally as your friend. The other trainers think that you are training that kid." I answered, "I do not really care what they think beacause there is no one training no body. She told me back, "I just wanted to let you know so watch your back. I decided to go down and make a complaint. There was 3 in the front desk, I asked who is in charge. 2 of them seemed like they cared and tried to help me, the other just turned away from me.

Jo

Comments

• Ge
      14th of Nov, 2008

I know this guy he always goes there everyday to workout. His complaint is true. He is really talented in martial arts and I can see the envy coming from the trainers. So many times I see them huddled in a corner looking at him and talking. This man is the real deal, his knowledge comes from experience, he is talented by God. The trainers blow up their egos by walking poor victims who pay them around like they own the entire gym. They disrespect any one who does not pay for their "services." They remind me of money hungry car salesmen. What is worst is the administration allows it to happen on a daily basis. Lately I have been seeing a heavy set trainer walking around with a martial arts uniform and black belt, with no shame to himself, calling himself a kickboxing expert. Meanwhile he cannot even keep his balance just walking. Yet this clown is payed to mess up some little kids and the talented one gets harassed and yelled at.

• Su
      14th of Nov, 2008

I ALSO CAME TO THE GYM AT CELEBRATION. I HAD A GUEST PASS. I WANTED TO SEE THE GYM AND SEE IF I COULD LIKE TO BE A MEMBER.

EVERYBODY WANTED TO TRAIN ME. WHEN I EXPLAINED THAT I DIDN'T WANT A PERSONAL TRAINER THEY WALKED AWAY.

FOR THE REST OF THE TIME THAT I WAS THERE I COULD SEE THEM TALKING AMONG THEMSELVES AND LOOKING AT ME.

BEING A WOMAN OF COLOR...I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...

• Al
      15th of Nov, 2008

CELEBRATION GYM ARE BOG TIME RACIST . AND THIS IS TRUE CAUSE IF U ARE NOT JUST WHITE U CAN BE MY GUEST AND GO SING UP TO FIND FOR YOURSELFS.

• Me
      9th of Dec, 2008

I know this little latin lady (trainer want-to-be), she kinda looks like a goblin and has extreme delusions of grandeur. Please give her the benefit of the doubt...I mean wouldn't you be angry as well if somebody dropped a house on your sister??? The gym nazi's truly exist in this place. If they keep it up, somebody is bound to pull off a reverse Holocaust on Celebration Fitness! Anytime Fitness is opening on January 23, 2009 and they already have my business. Once they open I will NEVER go back into Celebration Fitness again! Between the latin greaseball ### and the Ivan Drago lookalike with the personality of a waffle iron, I think this gym's employee's have a tremendous future with the traveling circus. The bearded woman and the World's Strongest Dufus. But on the flipside, I really am waiting for the opportunity to run into any of these [censored]ess in a dark alley because this is where all of my rules will apply.

• Ur
      21st of Sep, 2010

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT I AGREE WITH YOU A MILLION PERCENT IF ANYBODY WANTS TO RELIVE THE RACISM TIMES OF THE 50'S-60'S THEN CELEBRATION IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE .

• Ge
      22nd of Apr, 2011

celebration gym a lot of girls without a horse but with "toys" and girlfriends no fathom or inkling of how to be a wife or mother... i am talking about a healthy woman who knows how to cook and keep the house clean and organized and does what it takes to keep her family satisfied! No matter how high your rank at work is, how big your salary is, how big your house is, how expensive your clothes or car is, how much you "try" to copy the superstar "look", etc... a wise man who is thankful of God's blessing of masculinity would appreciate a simple woman, without make-up and "masks" that's why i think every real man needs to have a real woman that appreciate living under a man's wing,

• Rb
      30th of Apr, 2011

all the staff in celebration fitness center are racist .

• Ny
      8th of Dec, 2011

I just moved to the area and my husband and would really like to join a gym but with gyms i have googled everyone seems to have bad things to say about them. Does anyone know of any other decent gyms locally?

23rd of Jul, 2016

You guys are racist! They are obviously jealous of his talent, that's why the world is upside down. You want to act like a victim than continue to make everything be against your color. Why is it so impossible to believe just this once that the guy is too amazing and they hate because of that.STOP USING THE COLOR CARD IS PATHETIC