Ceiva Logic Inc. / Disappointing customer care service

On Dec. 4 I very excitedly ordered a Ceiva Digital Photo Receiver as a Christmas present for my mother, who lives several hours away.

It's a great concept: My mother can just plug the "frame" into the wall, and each night the pictures update from a website where my siblings and I post them. My mother is not technology-literate, and I do not send "paper" photos often, so this gives her a way to see updated photos all the time.

I checked the status of my order online Dec. 6 and was disappointed to note that it read "backordered." I had received no email to this effect, only a confirmation of my order. I also noticed a "Free Shipping" icon at the top of the page. I called customer service and spoke with a representative who assured me that the status read "backordered" only because orders generally took from 5-7 days to process. I asked him point-blank if this would be one of those experiences where after a couple of weeks (when it's too late to find another gift) I'd get an email stating the item was sold out -- again he assured me that was not the case and even PROMISED it.

Well, it did turn out to be the case, and I've gone back and forth with them for days because I'll now miss the opportunity to give the gift to my mother. I also asked the company to remove the $16.99 shipping charge, since "Free Shipping" was listed advertised, but I was told I'd have to cancel and then re-order -- Well THAT wouldn't help me get it any sooner! There was absolutely no effort by the Customer "Care" representatives to help me; it makes me question how responsive they'd be if there were a problem with their product.

The Ceiva may turn out to be a great gift, but I may not be able to tell you about it for, who knows, maybe quite a while; meanwhile, Grandma is going giftless for Christmas unless I give up and get her a sweater.

Bottom line: Don't buy this product unless you're willing to wait.

Lu

Comments

3rd of Jan, 2007

This rings a little too true. It's January 3, 2007 and I'm in essentially the same predicament. I was amazed to read from complaint on which I'm commenting that Ceiva should have known they were in a backorder situation even before I ordered (because I ordered later than him/her).

The Ceiva rep assured me it would arrive by Christmas. Right... On December 21 I got an e-mail from Ceiva telling me that [a] my purchase was backordered, [b] it was now estimated to ship the week of 12/25, [c] that they'd ship by an expedited method at their expense, and [d] that they'd extend my PicturePlan service from 12 to 15 months.

Well, we're well beyond the week of 12/25, my order still hasn't shipped, and they still can't (or won't) tell me when they think it will ship. Nor will they give me the name of someone to whom to express my displeasure in writing at the way they're handling this. The "customer care" agent wasn't even particularly friendly or helpful initially, which implies to me that they're up to their ears in disgruntled customers and don't know what to say. The TONE got a little better when I asked her to imagine herself in my position, but it didn't prompt her to provide any more substantive information.

• Co
      4th of Jan, 2007

Absolutely positively agree. Same here. No product, no emails, no responses, no real help... Another set of grandparents who received a card for Christmas with a "promise" for a gift. The CEO of this company needs to step up to the plate and get serious about taking care of the customers who are willing to invest in this product in the hopes that the service will be there too. One month after order we are all being lied to. Imagine that the vendors that actually agreed to sell this product never got theirs either so we won't being seeing this in stores anytime soon...

4th of Jan, 2007

Follow-up to my previous message:
    The Ceiva Customer Support people are very guarded when asked "who can I write to?" I've poked around and at least turned up enough information to make writing to someone with authority possible:

Private company
    Approx 17 employees (was undated and may not be current)
    Founded by Paul Yanover and Dean Schiller.
    Dean Schiller is the CEO.

214 E Magnolia Blvd
    Burbank, CA 91502-1114
    Phone: 818-562-1495
    Fax: 818-562-1491

Someone on another board says
    "ask to speak with Linda Freedman, 818-562-1495. She is the listed contact person for CEIVA Logic." I don't know what is meant by "listed."

PR firm is mPRm Public Relations
    Bret Ingraham, 323-933-3399
    bingraham@mprm.com

• Ju
      9th of Jun, 2007

It gets worse folks...

I don't know if any of you have actually got your product but, they neglect to tell you until you get the item and read the manual that it only works on an ANALOG phone line! Well, everything nowadays is digital! The only way for this gift to work now (which I had already shipped to western Canada from Georgia) is for me to buy her an additional $35 wireless router adapter. Well... she does not have a computer... duh... the whole reason I got it in the first place! Now she has a plastic box full of wires! It is the Ceiva 2 model - so it does not even have a slot for a memory card - it's useless!!!