Cavalier Telephone (Virginia) / I will NEVER do business with Cavalier Telephone again!

Cavalier Telephone - their local telephone service is nonexistant. I signed up in May 2006 for Cavalier Telephone online after checking that I could keep my old telephone number from Verizon. I get the welcome packet in the mail a few weeks later and not only have they assigned me a new telephone number, they had given me a new last name!
I called them and told them that I was adamant about keeping my old telephone number because I was in the midst of a family emergency and didn't need to try to contact elderly relatives and give them a new number. They told me sorry, they had already assigned this number to me and they could only change it later once I switched over from Verizon IF the number was still available from Verizon.

I told them no thanks, please cancel the order, which was due to be installed the following Friday. They cancelled my order, or so they said.

Over a month later I get a bill for the new number along with installation charges. I call Cavalier and they told me that they installed this new number on my telephone panel. In the meantime I still have Verizon and my old telephone number.

I call the SCC to complain and they look into it and say they'll get back to me in 10 business days.
The woman at the SCC was wonderful and got back to me today, which was less than 10 days after I called.

She got Cavalier to waive the service fees but I still have to pay the installation charges.
I have never used the number nor has anyone called me on the number because my old telephone number still worked and I was still getting billed by Verizon.

I will NEVER do business with Cavalier Telephone again, nor would I recommend that anyone else do business with them.

Richmond, VA