Cathay Pacific / Bad service

I have flown on Cathay Pacific 4 times to fly from California to Hong Kong. I always choose CP because their in-flight service is far superior to other American airlines. They also have a wonderful entertainment system in all of the seats which makes the flight even better.

The complain I have happened from [protected]. It is that out of the 4 times that I have flown on Cathay Pacific 3 of those times they have damaged my luggage. On 2 of my brand new suitcases they broke off the telescoping handle, which I had secured in the down position. And one time they broke off the regular carrying handle on the top of the suitcase, which was a very heavy duty handle. All of these 3 incidences, the handles were new sturdy handles and this had to be done intentionally or with the knowledge of the baggage handlers.

Cathay Pacific stated that they would pay for repairing the luggage. Although I don't see any way that a telescoping handle that was ripped clean off of the suitcase could be repaired. But when contacting Cathay Pacific they told me I needed a form sent to me. I called the first person for the form and she told me that she couldn't give me one and that I would have to call this second person. When I called the second person she told me that she couldn't give me the form and I would have to call the first person to get the form. The first person from then on refused to answer my calls or return my messages. They now have the forms online, when this happened they did not. this really taints the good overall service I get from Cathay Pacific.

Or

Comments

4th of Oct, 2007
    Cathay Pacific Airways - Unable to contact
    Australia

Cathay Pacific Airways
    www.cathaypacific.com

Been waiting on hold with their call centre for over half of an hr, still haven't got through to them yet.

• Az

Reservation: (852) 2747-1888
    T: (852) 2747-1577
    F: (852) 2560-1411

Dear Sir / Madam,

I request your urgent attention to this matter and ask you to provide replacement tickets and other compensation you deem appropriate, for me and my wife to travel to Dhaka, Bangladesh for the following reasons.

History

In early 2008, I purchased from Sky Sail Travels & Tours in Dhaka, two return tickets for myself and my wife Mrs Hasina Chowdhury. The ticket numbers are:

1. 043 5914447843; and
    2. 043 5914447844.

The tickets I purchased allowed me and my wife to travel on Dragon Air (division of Cathay Pacific Airlines) from Dhaka to Melbourne, Australia and back. My wife and I flew to Melbourne on 25 February 2008. We have been in Melbourne since that date.

When I purchased the tickets from Sky Sail Travels & Tours, I was advised by the travel agent there that the tickets would remain valid from 25 February 2008 for a period of 12 months for the return journey to Dhaka. I sought confirmation of this advice from Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office in Australia in his email of 8 April 2008. I have kept a record of my email dealings with Cathay Pacific, which I enclose.

In response to my email of 8 April 2008, Cathay Pacific advised me by email on 24 April 2008 that my tickets would expire on 25 February 2009. This was confirmed again by Cathay Pacific by email on 17 February 2009 at 11:05AM.

I arranged on a number of occasions to travel with my wife back to Dhaka on the above tickets. However, I had to postpone these plans for various reasons, one of them being that I underwent open-heart triple bypass surgery in 09 July 2008. Ultimately, I arranged with Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office to travel with my wife to Dhaka on 25 February 2009. I refer to Cathay Pacific’s email of 17 February 2009 at 5:51PM, which contains a record of my itinerary for 25 February 2009 (booking reference LTEJX). Please read below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Re: New Booking Reference LTEJX Ticket numbers 043 5914447843 and 043 5914447844
    Tuesday, 17 February, 2009 11:05 AM
    To: "Protege Ashanti"

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that your ticket is valid for a maximum of 1 year therefore the last date you may depart on your current ticket is 25 February 2009. Regrettably it is an IATA ruling that a ticket can not be extended past 1 year and this not only applies to Cathay Pacific but all airlines. If you are unable to travel on 23 February you will need to purchase another ticket for your return journey.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Tuesday, 17 February, 2009 5:51 PM
    Add sender to Contacts
    "Protege Ashanti"
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you fr your email.

Please note that I have amended your flight booking as requested and below is a copy of your updated flight itinerary.

Cathay Pacific wishes you a pleasant trip and please contact Cathay Pacific if you have any further enquires.

Kind regards

DEP HONG KONG INTL T1 25FEB 22:35 WED KA110 ECONOMY NON-STOP
    ARR DHAKA ZIA INT'L 26FEB 01:00 THU (33L) CONFIRMED

AIRLINES
    ========

CX - CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD.
    KA - HONG KONG DRAGON AIRLINES LIMITED

CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS WISH YOU A PLEASANT TRIP

Dear Karena,

Requiring a suggestion. Do we print the itinerary out and take it to the check-in desk of Cathay Pacific at the Melbourne airport? Let me know if that is what we ought to do.

My Greetings to you and the rest of Cathay Pacific staff at your office.

Aziz Chowdhury.

Thursday, 19 February, 2009 11:08 AM
    Add sender to Contacts
    "Protege Ashanti"
    Dear Mr Chowdhury,

Thank you for your email.

We do recommend that passengers have a print out of their itinerary at time of check-in, however this is not necessary.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Emma

Customer Sales Office
    Cathay Pacific Airways Australia
    Tel: 131 747
    Fax: 02-9251 3460
    e-addr: aus_sales@cathaypacific.com

On 25 February 2009, my wife and I arrived at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport at 6:00AM. We were advised at the airport that our tickets were no longer valid and were therefore unable to board our flight. I was given a copy of an IATA BSB Participant Billing Analysis for the billing period of 9 May 2008 to 15 May 2008, which I’ll send to you upon your request. As the document shows, the 51, 918.00 Bangladeshi Taka (BDT) I paid as part for the above two tickets total value of 140, 000.00 Taka approximately (perhaps the Agent or whoever stole our money, calculated as our ‘Return Tickets to Dhaka’. It was refunded back to Sky Sail Travels & Tours on 15 May 2008! Stragely neither I knew nothing about this nor Cathay Pacific informed me anything in relation to cancellation of our tickets as the money were taken as refund through fraudulence and how, only God knows. However we have a theory as I was writing a letter to the Inspector General of Police, Bangladesh, in its last para, I quote “P.S. Very Important for your perusal : In relation to the travel agent who cheated and withdrawn my money without even letting me know, “Sky Sails Travel & Tours”, I’m 100% sure that they couldn’t have retrieved (or stolen our money in other words) the money without the collaboration of local staff of Dhaka’s Cathay Pacific (Dragon Air) office at 100 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Kawran Bazaar, Dhaka 1215, Bangladesh. (Telephone 912-2935, e-mail : cargo.doc@dragonair.com)” unquote.

I cannot understand why it is that if the BDT 51, 918.00 I paid for the tickets had been refunded by Dragon Air on 15 May 2008, I was firstly not informed of the refund and secondly, that it had been carried out without my consent. I also cannot understand why it is that Cathay Pacific advised me on 17 February 2009 that my tickets were still valid until 25 February 2009 even though the money paid for the tickets had already been refunded much earlier.

As a result of the above mistake, my wife and I have been greatly inconvenienced. Firstly, I am still recovering from my open heart triple-bypass surgery and require plenty of rest (we were made wait at Melbourne airport for 9 hours!). I indicated as much in my email to Cathay Pacific’s Customer Sales Office on 18 December 2008. I have also been seeking psychological treatment for my depression and anxiety and I’ll gladly enclose a letter from my psychologist Ms. Julie-Anne L. Peake upon a request of yours. Much stress was placed on me as I tried for most of the day at the airport to resolve the matter, without success.

Secondly, my wife applied for annual leave in order to travel to Dhaka with me. I enclose a copy of her leave application form. Because of the above mistake, my wife went through the inconvenience of making a statutory declaration, which I’ll enclose upon your request, to give to her employer to explain why she was not going to use her annual leave and was intending to return to work.

Finally, I have suffered a lost business opportunity as a consequence of Cathay Pacific’s mistake. I was appointed as a representative of X-Ray Connection in relation to the purchase of angiography systems by hospitals in Bangladesh. I enclose a copy of a letter confirming this appointment. There was a high likelihood that the angiography systems would be purchased. Consequently, I have suffered financially because I was not able to fly back to Dhaka to participate in the negotiations.

Replacement tickets

I reasonably ask that Cathay Pacific enable me and my wife to travel to Dhaka as soon as possible. My mother in Dhaka is ill and I would like to visit her before her condition worsens. For these purposes, please provide tickets for me and my wife to travel to Dhaka by 15 March 2009 or if not, soon after. With this in mind, please understand therefore that there is a great urgency underlying my request.

Accordingly, I seek your urgent response. If you wish to discuss any aspect of this letter, please do not hesitate to contact me on +61 3 8790 6270 or +61 4 3374 5700.

Yours faithfully,

Azizuddin Chowdhury

• Ia
      1st of Apr, 2009

you probably never will...they should be renamed Air China
    they are now a conceited airline with staff who couldn't care less
    they love your money but have giving you what you paid for

• Ml
      8th of May, 2013

One addition, when I want to send this email. I found it didn’t even show the email address and the online form only available for 300 characters.

What happen to CX? I think everything is decline, especially the oversea sector.
    Tonight (May4, NYC time CX845)I have been travel back from NYC to HKG. I know the seats are tight. We have two tickets, one business and one Premium Econ, We want to using the Macro polo miles to upgrade the business to First and premium to Business. Since I have check with American Express Centurion, there is first class available but business class are full. We choose to go to the airport so early. At the counter, there are three staffs, the one who serve us is the most new and inexperience. She didn’t know a lot and asked the other staff how to do but I feel the more experience staff just want to refuse to do the upgrade, but since I know every aspects how to upgrade and requirements. I clearly told the one who help us What we want to do.
    1. Business upgrade to first class, (then the business class seat become available) and then upgrade premium Econ to Business, all using my miles and she has check my 1010304007 has 270k miles remain.
    2. If I can't go for business then change my seat to walkway.
    She marked down everything and ask me to wait in the lounge for news.
    When I got to lounge, I keep asking, at the beginning the employee say have to wait. When I check again at 12:30, it said can’t be upgrade, but further check. They made mistake. They using Mr. Wang new Asia mile account try to deduct miles but since new account setup the miles not enough. It didn’t success. After knowing the issue, the employee of Lounge call the manager Coral Blanco right away. She recognize it is their mistake, She said ok to call the Marco polo to deduct the miles right away to do the upgrade. But this time she forgot the premium economic to business. And she called the manager right away. And Coral Blanco said ok, while doing the upgrade about 2 mines later, Coral called back and said stop the upgrade for the premium to business. It said the time is not enough. So the lounge employee told the Marco polo to stop the upgrade for PY to Business. I asked to speak with Coral but the lounge employee said Coral refuse to talk to me and refuse to call Coral. Ask me to talk to Coral at the gate. When I talked to Coral at the gate, she said everything is too late but where I think if she didn’t place the stop order, everything is good. She lie to me and say will do it on the plane. When we arrive the gate at the plane, she push all the reasonability to the flight attendants manager Eileen. Eileen said there is nothing to do and Coral just want to push me get on the plane. I really want to take the other plane but Coral said if I don’t take this plane, it will delay because of me. I feel so badly she did and say that to put all the responsibility to me. I end up get on the plane and the bad is not finish. Coral end up upgrade a diamond ( I was Diamond in 2012) member to business. It seems I just using the miles to upgrade my friend from business to First and spare the business seat suppose should be me to upgrade but end up for other. It’s ok, but I should get move to walkway seat to take over the one who got upgrade. But no one is even ask me for anything anymore.

1. I think oversea staffs is lack of knowledge for all the upgrade matter.
    2. I think oversea staffs just want to do less by telling clients that everything are not able to do. (what should I pay the full fare price at the first place then)
    3. I think Coral just trying all she can do to complete her job but not client user-friendly.
    4. I can understand employees want to complete their job duty but not cheating, lying or make client embarrassed to complete their job.