Castlepoint Apartment / Unjust charges after move out

Castlepoint Apartments
South Bend
I lived in Castlepoint for 4 years and found it pretty pleasant, with no major issues. The apartment is old, the appliances are old and the wallpaper is coming apart. But I didn't have high expectations because I liked the location.

However, when I moved out, the management sent me a list of unjust charges. First of all, only the maintenance guy goes out to view the apartment and write up the charges. I requested to be present when he did the final check to make sure that what he writes up is true but was denied. The response I got was "it doesn't work that way".

I borrowed a carpet steam cleaner from my friend and cleaned the entire apartment when I moved out and they still sent me a bill for carpet cleaning ($50). I told the manager that I steam cleaned the carpet prior to move out and they said "Oh you didn't need to do that". Also, they charged me $40 for new drip trays and drip rings, which retails for $20. It is ridiculous to assume that the drip trays and rings will still be shiny after 4 years of living there.

Its just your word against theirs and they will find any way to make you pay them even after you move out.