Casio G-Shock Tough Solar Classic / Battery Replacement and Customer Service

United States Review updated:
I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the estimate that was received in reference to my Casio G-Shock. The watch was purchased from JcPenney’s in 2008 for well over $150. Spending that amount of money on a “solar-atomic” watch was perceived as a worthwhile purchase based on the features of the watch and reading about what the G-Shock could physically take. I am a Police Officer in Tampa, FL and I needed a good watch that could take the abuse. I assumed that this watch would meet my expectations and be able to absorb the demands of my daily job.
Approximately 2 months ago the watch started blinking in the battery zone when the illumination button is depressed. When I finally had a day off to contact the repair center I was told that the issue sounded like a "backup/illumination battery” issue and the estimated cost on this repair would be $15. This was a shock in the first respect due to my understanding that this was a solar watch, but the technician I spoke with informed me that the illumination on the watch needed a battery. I wanted to fix my watch so I sent the G-Shock in for repairs on the 17th of March 2009. Today (March 27, 2009) I receive a letter stating that the ESTIMATED repairs are $35.00 without an explanation of exactly what is going wrong with my watch. The requested grand total is $45.00 on top of the $8 it cost for me to send the watch in initially. I am completely disgusted with my purchase at this point and will pay the additional $7.95 for return shipping without repair.
I guess my assumption about what a great watch the G-shock was is false. I just wanted to express my dissatisfaction in your product and the steps I am needed to take just to get this watch back into service. You can rest assured I will not purchase another G-Shock or Casio product nor will I recommend it to anyone that is in need of a good service watch.

N  2nd of Apr, 2009 by
Hello to you i'm James The Jeweler in Atlanta, Ga and i also have my own educational discussions here under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i was reading your complaint here and i first must say that i'm sorry you had to deal with such POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and a LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF THE WATCH YOU PURCHASED FROM JC PENNY'S in 2008.

I'm a REAL JEWELER in Atlanta, Ga and sell many types of watches, from the high end to the QUALITY LOW END, i don't know what exactly this G-SHOCK watch does but i will be looking it up to find out, but i will tell you that in the future make sure you know for sure if a watch IS OR IS NOT SOLAR POWERED, and if this watch is being advertised as a SOLAR POWERED watch, only to find out you still need to put a battery in it, that's FALSE ADVERTISING and JC PENNY'S could be sued for misleading the jewelry buying consumer.

In the future should you need my services to educate you on any item of jewelry, or to get you the watches or jewelry you'd like to buy feel free to contact me at any of my contacts below, and if you have any questions for me feel free to ask me.

Contact James The Jeweler:

Either here or at my email address: jamesthejeweler@yahoo.com

Phone: 404-447-5459

My Online Jewelry Blog: http://jamesisajeweler.blogspot.com
A  1st of Aug, 2010 by
I simply need a battery replaced in my Casio GS300 Titanium. They fully expected me to pay $35.00 to $40.00 by sending it to their "Service" center in California. What a frigging joke. These clowns should not be allowed to manufacture anything at all. We're talking about a battery replacement, that's it. Along with the gentleman from Tampa, I too will never buy another Casio product, nor recommend one to anyone.
D  17th of Feb, 2017 by
You guys are both clowns.

By the way, if you bought it retail and it fritzed within a year, why didn't you just use your product warranty?

And to the #### "real jeweler", most "solar" items like watches have capacitors of which some are still "rechargeable batteries" and is not false advertising...the solar panel recharges the batteries. Without batteries, how do you keep the watch working when in the dark? You nincompoop.

And back to the Tampa "cop". How much do policemen make in Tampa anyway? Really, all this fuss over a $150 G-Shock? You probably shouldn't be wearing a watch. Go attach a Sundial to your squad car.