Casey Palmer Jodi Bagwell www.rockinpquarterhorses.com / Misrepresented Horse!

1 Porum, OK, United States Review updated:

I bought an 8yr old grade quarter horse gelding from Casey Palmer and Jodi Bagwell. I saw him on their website and I first was asking about a different horse on there and was not getting a response by email so I called and I talked to Casey about what I wanted in a horse. I told him that I wanted a horse that I could trail ride on, that was safe because we have kids in our neighbor hood and was hoping to get a horse that the kids could ride. I told him that I did not want one that would buck or do any thing like that. That I had been bucked off and needed a completely broke horse. He said that the one that I was thinking about would not be as good and this other one that he had, named Tinker. I said of yes I did see him on there as well. He said this horse is great. You can ride him anywhere and do anything. You can pull him out of the pasture and get right on and he will be the same every time( well i guess that is right he bucks every time). He said I had some other people out today that looked at him but they have not made a decision and it is first come first serve. So I said ok i will get him. He said you need to wire the money to me and I will email you the info and I even have someone that can bring him to you in the next few days and it will be about $300. So I got he email with the wire info and went right to the bank to wire the money... $2250, that did not include the shipping. I would pay the shipper when he got here. So that was April 5th, Then I kept trying to get a hold of Casey, no answer no return calls no reply emails... at this point I am getting a bad feeling. so I finally get a hold of them on April 8th say they have not gotten the shipping done but he is working on it. In the mean time I am emailing all of his references on his website and I am getting responses yes good ones but of course no one is going to put people that are not happy with them on their website for a referral. In the mean time I am asking for new pictures and he says I will as soon as sister comes home from school. He says that his friend will be shipping him to me in about a week but still no price on shipping. Finally he says that his friend will be $600 to bring him out but I will have to meet him about an hour from my house cause he does not like to go to colorado. so I am getting quotes from other shippers and get a quote for $300 so I tell Casey that I will do that and make sure he has his coggins and health cert. So we finally get it settled for pickup i think it was on the 13th of April. He gets him on the trailer and then the next day April 14th he gets off the trailer. The shipper says I am glad he is here because that place was nasty and he was the best looking horse on the place. I am pleased that he does look good, expect his feet which needed done very badly, he says that he is a farrier so why were they not done. He is over weight but I rather a few extra pounds than to thin. So I put him in his pen and feed him and then call casey to let him know that he arrived safe and that I was going to ride he later and see how he is, had to get to work not long after he got home.

So I got to ride him I think it was the next day or day after. I took him into the round pen and lunged him and he looked good so I had by husband there and i said ok I am going to get on and walk and that was fine and then we trotted and that was ok but as soon as i asked for the lope he kicked out. so then i talked to my husband and said ok lets try this again. walk trot lope he kicked out again. So I got off and called casey and told him what happened. He acted very surprised. I said I am going to have the massage therapist out and chiropractor he did just travel from Oklahoma to Colorado, maybe he is tired from the trip. So they came out I think the same day. He did need it he was out in several places. So they said let him rest a day and see how it goes. So i did and he did the same things. so then i called my trainer and took him over there and had him work him and see what was going on. He said well could be his feet and he said he is acting like he is not used to the altitude. So give him 2 weeks to get used to it and then see what happens. So I got the farrier out and he trimmed him and said I think that you need to take him to hate vet and get him lameness checked. So I took him and got him checked and xrayed came back ok so then I thought well his teeth need done maybe that is it. so got is teeth done and his sheath that the vet was one of the worst that he had ever seen. so after all that and the 2 weeks off I took him back to my trainer and he did the same thing so I left him at the trainer for the month. I would go check on him and he would say that he was not changing and could not figure out why. so finally at the ed of the month we finally figured out that the horse had no work ethic and did not care if he pleased oyu or not and that he would not change with out a lot more time if ever. He also told me that he bucked so hard one day that he broke his back cinch. So I call Casey and he says we will trade horses and that he will fond a good one that I can be happy with.

So begins the trading saga.

I keep asking him about ones he has on his site. no answer to calls, no answer to emails, no return calls nothing. Finally I think that we have a horse that will work and I am calling to get the coggins and stuff on that one he has and find out when we can get it done and all of a sudden... Casey says "I was riding Jasper today and he did the same thing so we better keep looking" very convenient if you ask me that was June 13th. then it just keeps going on not answering the phone no emails and then when i want a video of one... too much water too much rain no that one wont work... until he finds one that he says will be great but he will be an additional $1900. I say no way I am not paying more and so I tell him come get him and give me my money back... no i can not do that we will keep looking. No I will put him on my website and sell him for you. send me pictures and i will get him on right away so i do and then it is into August before he finally gets him on his site. I told him that if things were not settled soon I was going to put him in a catalog sale. well on and on it went. So finally called a Lawyer and she told me to sell him and then go after him for the difference. I had even been asking him for a refund of half the purchase price and he had been refusing that. Well finally I did take him to that sale and I got $575 for him.

I did finally get $500 from him but I am still out a lot on him. I am not any means happy with him.

Than I get an email from the lawyer that I had talked to before and there is another lady that has had a problem with Casey and she would love to talk to me about what happened to me and so I call her and find out her story.

So what I am saying is please be very careful if you get a horse from him that everything is as promised and get things in writing just in case.

I m not saying that he does not have some good horses but he has at least 2 out there that were not as promised.

There have been more people contacting us with problems as well.

Comments

Va
  6th of Dec, 2007

I bought an 8yr old grade quarter horse gelding from Casey Palmer and Jodi Bagwell. I saw him on their website and I first was asking about a different horse on there and was not getting a response by email so I called and I talked to Casey about what I wanted in a horse. I told him that I wanted a horse that I could trail ride on, that was safe because we have kids in our neighbor hood and was hoping to get a horse that the kids could ride. I told him that I did not want one that would buck or do any thing like that. That I had been bucked off and needed a completely broke horse. He said that the one that I was thinking about would not be as good and this other one that he had, named Tinker. I said of yes I did see him on there as well. He said this horse is great. You can ride him anywhere and do anything. You can pull him out of the pasture and get right on and he will be the same every time( well i guess that is right he bucks every time). He said I had some other people out today that looked at him but they have not made a decision and it is first come first serve. So I said ok i will get him. He said you need to wire the money to me and I will email you the info and I even have someone that can bring him to you in the next few days and it will be about $300. So I got he email with the wire info and went right to the bank to wire the money...$2250, that did not include the shipping. I would pay the shipper when he got here. so that was April 5th, Then I kept trying to get ahold of Casey, no answer no return calls no reply emails....at this point I am getting a bad feeling. so I finally get a hold of them on April 8th say they have not gotten the shipping done but he is working on it. In the mean time I am emailing all of his references on his website and I am getting responses yes good ones but of course no one is going to put people that are ot happy with them on their website for a referral. In the mean time I am asking for new pictures and he says I will as soon as sister comes home from school. He says that his friend will be shipping him to me in about a week but still no price on shipping. Finally he says that his friend will be $600 to bring him out but I will have to meet him about an hour from my house cause he does not like to go to colorado. so I am getting quotes from other shippers and get a quote for $300 so I tell Casey that I will do that and make sure he has his coggins and health cert. So we finally get it settled for pickup i think it was on the 13th of April. He gets him on the trailer and then the next day April 14th he gets off the trailer. The shipper says I am glad he is here becasue that place was nasty and he was the best looking horse on the place. I am pleased that he does look good, ecpect his feet which needed done very badly, he says that he is a farrier so why were they not done. He is over weight but I rather a few extra pounds than to thin. So I put him in his pen and feed him and then call casey to let him know that he arrived safe and that I was going to ride he later and see how he is, had to get to work not long after he got home.

So I got to ride him I think it was the next day or day after. I took him into the round pen and lunged him and he looked good so I had by husband there and i said ok I am going to get on and walk and that was fine and then we trotted and that was ok but as soon as i asked for the lope he kicked out. so then i talked to my husband and said ok lets try this again. walk trot lope he kicked out again. So I got off and called casey and told him what happened. He acted very surprised. I said I am going to have the massage therapist out and chiropractor he did just travel from Oklahoma to Colorado, maybe he is tired from the trip. So they came out I think the same day. he did need it he was out in several places. So they said let him rest a day and see how it goes. So i did and he did the same things. so then i called my trainer and took him over there and had him work him and see what was going on. He said well could be his feet and he said he is acting like he is not used to the altitude. So give him 2 weeks to get used to it and then see what happens. So I got the farrier out and he trimmed him and said I think that you need to take him to hte vet and get him lameness checked. So I took him and got him checked and xrayed came back ok so then I thought well his teeth need done maybe that is it. so got is teeth done and his sheath that the vet was one of the worst that he had ever seen. so after all that and the 2 weeks off I took him back to my trainer and he did the same thing so I left him at the trainer for the month. I would go check on him and he would say that he was not changing and could not figure out why. so finally at the ed of the month we finally figured out that the horse had no work ethic and did not care if he pleased oyu or not and that he would not change with out alot more time if ever. He lso told me that he bucked so hard one day that he broke his back cinch. So I call Casey and he says we will trade horses and that he will fond a good one that I can be happy with.

So begins the trading saga.

I keep asking him about ones he has on his site. no answer to calls, no answer to emails, no return calls nothing. Finally I think that we have a horse that will work and I am calling to get the coggins and stuff on that one he has and find out when we can get it done and all of a sudden...Casey says "I was riding Jasper today and he did the same thing so we better keep looking" very convenient if you ask me that was June 13th. then it just keeps going on not answering the phone no emails and then when i want a video of one...too much water too much rain no that one wont work... until he finds one tht he says will be great but he will be an additional $1900. I say no way I am not paying more and so I tell him come get him and give me my money back..no i can not do tht we will keep looking. No I will put him on my website and sell him for you. send me pictures and i will get him on right away so i do and then it is into August before he finally gets him on his site. I told him that if things were not settled soon I was going to put him in a catalog sale. well on and on it went. So finally called a Lawyer and she told me to sell him and then go after him for the difference. I had even been asking him for a refund of half the purchase price and he had been refusing that. Well finally I did take him to that sale and I got $575 for him.

I did finally get $500 from him but I am still out alot on him. I am not any means happy with him.

El
  4th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I'm just a little confused about your complaint!
You say you bought a horse, had him shipped several hundred miles, rode him next day, horse bucked, had him vet checked, sent him to trainer, farrier trimmed his feet, vet checked again, sent back to trainer, trainer states there's no hope! So, the horse goes to auction for $575.00 !
I read you're complaint and am wondering, can this person be satisfied! Stated by you, the horse was very " GOOD LOOKING ", "FAT", and proven by your vet and farrier to be very "HEALTHY" ! You complained that the horse wasn't shod before his arrival to you! No where in you're complaint did I see that you paid an extra $100.00 to have this done! That does cost money you know! You complained about the horse being too fat, COME ON!
About the bucking, It's hard for me to even believe it by now! I sure can't believe a so called HORSE TRAINER couldn't get him straightened out within a months time!
On top of everything else, you even got back $500.00 from this poor guy! Can you actually call that dishonest! Sounds like a pretty honest fellow to me!
On to something else in you're complaint, why would you even want to spread across the internet how someones place looks!!! You didn't receive a bag of bones, remember, your horse was overweight!!! There are so many people out there who are starving thier animals, why can't you spend some of your time spreading that across the internet instead of trying to bring this guy down!!! That is very low down!
You said you sold the horse at an auction for $575.00, If so, you can bet he went for SLAUGHTER!!! Another good horse thrown away!!! You know a horse that has been around for 8 years is more than likely a good one or else he would of been gone a long time ago!!!
To all you uneducated horse owners or wanting to be horse owners, lets take some time and educate ourselves about horses before we go out and purchase them! This is the very reason why HONEST HORSEBROKERS are bashed into the ground !

Ka
  6th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

First of all you need to get your facts straight. I did not say that he needed to be shod. I said that his feet were in terrible condition and they should have been done as in trimmed since Casey was supposedly a farrier. Not once did my vet or farrier say he was very healthy! My vet said his sheath and teeth were the worst that he had seen that IS NOT HEALTHY! My farrier said his feet were horrible and needed done desperately that IS NOT HEALTHY! I had him a at professional trainer and the trainer said that he might be able to get that out of him but would if ever take a long time and bought a BROKE horse not one that I have to spend $450 a month on to make rideable for who knows how long. If I wanted that I would have bought a 2 yr old. I wanted a trail horse and that is NOT what I got.

The people that delivered him said that they were glad that he was out of there because all the other horses were skin and bones. He probably wasn't because he was probably at the top of the order.

He said he would find me another horse but when ever I saw one he either would not answer the phone or the emails or he would ride it and it would do something. The one that I thought we had a deal on supposedly did that. Then when he found one it was going to cost me another $2000, but low and behold it was a perfect horse!

He is just a liar and I would never buy another thing from him. I hope that someone does not get killed by a horse that he sells them that he lied about.

Yes I did get $500 form him but that is after I spent 2250 for him, $300 shipping, $900 in training, $500 vet, $100 chiropractor, $40 massage, $75 farrier. How much was I supposed to spend to get the horse that I paid for. I think that I really tried to make it work. There was nothing else to try and so I had to cut my loses and go on.

So if you think that Casey is trust worthy then I guess that you are not a very good judge of character.

Gf
  6th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

"Electric Horseman" you should see an electrician soon, as I think your wiring has a short. Your reply to this persons comment is nothing short of...well...ignorant.

The person that posted the complaint did not say that she expected the horse to be shod. Where the heck do you come up with that assumption? She said that the seller claimed to be a farrier, and that the horses feet were in horrible shape when they arrived. That doesn’t mean she expected shoes on it for crying out loud.

She also didn’t complain about the horse being FAT. She said that the horse looked good with the exception of his feet. She said that the horse was overweight, but better that than being thin. I take that more as she was pleased to see the horse not being too thin, not complaining because it was fat.

You make it sound like the horse bucked just one little ol’ time, and she decided to get rid of it. She tried for 8 weeks to get this horse to stop bucking (with one month of the time being at a professional trainers). When a horse breaks the back cinch of a professional trainers saddle (after 8 weeks of training), and that same PROFESSIONAL trainer tells you to get rid of it. You do it! How much money was she expected to put into this horse to resolve a problem that Casey should have told her about? If Casey had one ounce of integrity, why didn’t he find another horse for her, and then sell this one for her to someone else – like he promised? Or, why didn’t he offer to buy this fabulous horse back from her. At one point, she only wanted ½ of the purchase price for a refund. Sounds fair to me.

Remember, the person posting the complaint only relayed the information about the poor condition of his place from the transport people. If you think they were unfair judging his place, perhaps you should take it up with them, as that was their opinion after seeing it.

Another good horse going to slaughter? It has been posted on other complaints that Casey buys all of his horses at sales where the horses are already headed to slaughter. They allege that he buys them for a couple hundred bucks, then hikes the prices up and sells them. So, if that happened to be true, my best guess is that this horse was already headed to slaughter because it couldn’t be safely ridden. Did Casey buy it cheap and then try to cash in on it by advertising it as something it wasn’t?

Casey and Jodi are honest horse brokers being bashed to the ground? Really? Wow. What about all of the other complaints out there about them? I’m thoroughly confused by that. But actually, I’m mostly confused about your extremely odd comment here. It doesn’t at all address or justify any of the actual issues that occurred. Your comment sounds like nothing more than a frustrated “rant” because this story is out there for others to read about.

Mo
  7th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I also purchased a horse from these people and they were NOT at all honest with me about it, nor did they do anything to try and rectify the situation!

We are hardly "bashing" these horse traders . We are simply letting people know our stories so that they can make up their own minds before buying from them!

Wa
  9th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Irate Reader, Another Unhappy Customer, or whatever you decide to go by next!

I am an electrician, thank you very much! Hope that you trip your switch before long or else you're wires are gonna be burning! Low and behold we don't want that to happen! But, from experience sounds like the fuse has been blown! I think you need to stick with IRATE READER, fits you very well!

I posted a comment totally expecting to get a response back and did receive one! That is only natural to respond back toward a comment!

But as for YOU, that's a different story! You have tried to belittle everyone that has commented! I wasn't commenting to you, so you need to keep your 2 cents to yourself! It just burns your butt to see that satisfied horse buyers are firing back! Really, did you not expect that there would be a positive side as well?
Who is the ignorant one now! You are a real piece of work! If I were Casey I would be kicked back laughing at you and your ringside circus!

As for the house conditions, why don't you take it up with the transporters, you seem to be very good at things you know nothing about! Have you been there to see what the place is like? NO, remember, you were in the comfort of your own home! Yep, that's right, I've seen all of your firing missiles, which very few, if any, have landed!

Slaughter, Horse Sales, I suppose you know all about that to! Have you ever been to a Horse Sale? Seriously doubt it! Well, let me inform you and your poster, you can't buy a rider for a couple hundred bucks! So, if you think you can then why are you INTERNET SHOPPING! Go find you a Horse Sale! I'm sure your horse expert poster will tag along! Now that would be a sight to see!!! You guys would be the laughing stock!

You got one thing right, you are a very frustrated, confused person! I'm not a bit confused or frustrated about anything! I could care less how many stories you put out! Post one everyday if that's what floats your boat! We all know you've shed enough tears to float that boat! Baby, cry that river, it's getting a little shallow! You're gonna have to toughen up if you wanna hang with the Big Boys!!!
LMAO!!!

Ka
  11th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Of course you can buy a horse at a sale for a couple hundred bucks and then you can bring it home and says that is a great horse and I have had this horse for years and he is a great horse. DOes not mean that it is the truth. He always says that he has had this horse or that horse for a long time. But I really do not think he has had any horse for very long.

Any one can say any thing that they like but it does not mean that it is the truth.

Yes I have been to a horse sale. Many many times. There are people there buying stuff all the time for cheap and then bring it home and then resell it. Colorado is a brand inspection state so you have to have paperwork to sell a horse whether it be at a sale or privately. So there is a paper trail that can be checked to know where a horse came from and how long some one has had it.

Mo
  11th of Nov, 2008

Good point, Karma.

I have PROOF through my paperwork that the sick horse that I purchased from Casey DID come from a livestock/slaughter sale. I have NO doubt that she was headed to slaughter because of her eye cancer, and Casey probably picked her up for pennies on the dollar and then advertised her as healthy. He only had her a couple of months. He told me that he bought the pony for his little sister because she didn't know how to ride. He said she was 9 years old! Yet now (only 1 year later) his own mother is telling us that her daughter is 12 years old and a very accomplished rider! So, either Casey or his mother is lying (which is it?).