C.A.R.S. Protection Plus, Inc. / breach of contract/denying valid claims

1 4431 William Penn Highway Suite 1, 15668Murrysville, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 8883356838

I bought this vehicle on 8/12/09 off a car lot, and was concerned about the high mileage. The owner of the car lot provided me with a 3-month unlimited mileage warranty through C.A.R.S. Protection Plus, Inc. to ease my mind.
Less than 100 miles after I had the vehicle, the rear axle went out. I called C.A.R.S., and they told me to take it to a certified mechanic of my choice and to have the mechanic contact C.A.R.S. At that point, C.A.R.S. told the mechanic to disassemble the whole rear end, and a C.A.R.S. representative would inspect it. The mechanic found a destroyed bearing among other affected parts from the debris in the rear axle. Also upon inspection, the mechanic found a broken CV joint and bad ball joints on the front end.
The vehicle sat there disassembled for over one week before a C.A.R.S. representative came out to look at it, which left me without a vehicle during this time period. The mechanic called me three days in a row saying that the C.A.R.S. representative would be there that day and never showed up.
When the C.A.R.S. representative did show up, he said that they would not pay for it, because they do not cover any wearable parts. In my opinion, every part on a vehicle is wearable, and nowhere in their contract does it say that they do not cover wearable parts. Listed in the contract, are specific items that are covered, and the "drive axle assembly" was listed saying "any internal lubricated parts, front and rear drive axle, housing and all internal parts, bearings, wheel bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion side gears, spider gears, etc."
This left me with a disassembled vehicle, which had to be repaired, which put me out $1, 300. Had C.A.R.S. not had the mechanic disassemble the rear axle, I could have fixed it myself a lot cheaper. I did everything I was told to do by C.A.R.S., and they did not honor their contract. Not only am I out the $1, 300, but I am still looking at repairs for the CV joint and the ball joints, which they also denied the claim on.
On September 30, 2009, I requested a written letter of denial from C.A.R.S., which I have not yet received. I’ve done a lot of on-line research on C.A.R.S., and found many class-action suits in the past and a lot of negative feedback about them.

Comments

• Mp
      2nd of Mar, 2011

I too, had the same warranty and my claim was denied as well. They did not inform me that the warranty did not take effect until it was approved by C.A.R.S. I assumed that the warranty would take affect the day I purchased the car since I had paid the money for the warranty. I was informed that they were denying my claim because the problem was noticed the day I bought the car. They did not even inform me of this when I opened my claim and processed to take three weeks to provide me with a denial. Meanwhile, my car sat at the mechanic the whole time since it cannot leave the mechanic's shop once a claim is opened. I believe they do this to run the time out on your warranty so that you do not have time to claim another claim if your car breaks. This company is a scam and I would suggest that no one do business with them because they will be wasting their money and time.

• Ef
      21st of Mar, 2012

I also in the fight to get my car fixed! The 1, 000 miles you also have to put on a car before they will cover any claims was not stated to me by the used car salesman nor I seen in fine print (well maybe uber fine print) on the contract., Luckily I did have 1, 200 miles before it needed a repair. First consumer note that you have to pay a $100 ded, all towing up front, ANY diagnostics no matter how big or small etc. So in a way you are paying 1/2 the cost already upfront. But here is the real kicker, they seem to HAVE to ALWAYS send a claims adjuster to see the problem, even though TWO reputable shops (1 AAA credited!) now told them the same thing. Amazing, now 10 days w/o a vehicle, the drive taken apart and still they ignore the repair shops calls (runaround) even though he stated to me that he opend a claim a week ago with them (no record they say!?!?) I will update in a week to see if this company is a total SCAM. BBB will be getting a filed report soon! Note: 125 complaints in the past 3 years and still a A+ rating - HOW????

• Rw
      7th of Nov, 2013

I'm the owner of a Auto Repair shop, and the warranty company has caused me more headaches than any other entity. Do not purchase a warranty through this company. They WILL not pay for my parts, they want to supply there own, which ties up my bay for 3+ days. The parts they supply are so low quality, and want me to honor a 12, 000 mile 12 month warranty on their junk parts!!! If the repair bill is not exactly how they want it they will not pay!!! I would offer a discounted repair than hours of aggravation from this company.

• Wv
      19th of Feb, 2014

I bought a car with this same BS protection from Car Protection Plus, and it had been almost 2 months and my car is still in the shop because these ### will not pay for crap. And I have no clues what to do about this crap. So beware!!! And for those who want to keep track, I bought my car on December 29, 2014 and the car blew up the next day after...Now it is February 19, 2014. So if anyone could help me get these guys ever be able to take to someone who senseable I need info. This company is trash just remember that!!!

• Du
      10th of Jun, 2014

I also had bad experience with this company we bought a van and then the warranty it was making a noise so we took to mechanic they called C.A.R.S they said to take it apart and send in a paper with what the problem was then they would get someone to inspect it. A week later they got there mechanic there and he says it's not covered under our warranty which we paid a lot for got the most expensive one which should of been covered so now we our out the money for the warranty and have to pay the shop 1, 500 to get our van fixed this company is a rip off I wouldn't recommend anyone to get this!!

6th of Jul, 2015

Don't waste your money on these car warranty plans with cars protection plus. Especially calling this number: 888-335-6838. The best thing to do is keep up with your car maintenance and keep an emergency fund available. These stories sound very familiar.

27th of Sep, 2015

I am located in south Carolina, have purchased several CARS PROTECTION PLUS CONTRACTS AND HAVE A GREAT EXPIERENCE BOLTH TIMES, so not sure on the others, all of mine went good not much out of pocket at all, I do understand a engine or transmission will take a longer.

Thanks CARS PROTECTION PLUS!!!

27th of Sep, 2015

My names is robert, i also had a good expeirence with cars protection plus, i found if you buy there blue or green contracts you will have no problems, just like buying a car you get what you pay for, so if you buy a contract, buy the blue or green one, all claims were taken care of with no problems, thanks cars protection plus!!!

• Wi
      25th of Apr, 2018

@ross mccall yeah sure how long you been working for them lol idiot

• Nd
      16th of Mar, 2016

I have been in the car business as an F&I Manager and F&I Director for big dealerships for over 13 years and I have never seen a warranty brochure with such vague coverage and then told by the guy selling it that it was exclusionary (bumper to bumper) coverage. I will let you all know that the guys selling these so called exclusionary extended warranties have no idea what the heck they are selling and DON'T BUY THIS WARRANTY, because the wording of what's covered is VERY VERY VAGUE and a NORMAL WARRANTY BROCHURE from a REPUTABLE COMPANY will say on it EXCLUSIONARY COVERAGE and ONLY LIST THE PARTS NOT COVERED under the warranty NOT THE ONES THAT ARE. I would not recommend buying ANY warranty that when being told your getting "bumper to bumper" or exclusionary coverage and it lists the parts covered, don't even waste your time looking it over because you will eventually get screwed and not only receive nothing back from it if you were to cancel the warranty, but you will also waste the money you spent on it and have to pay for repair if you want your car back. THIS CARS PROTECTION IS A VERY SHADY PROGRAM AND IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE A WARRANTY THAT WILL PAY FOR THE REPAIRS, then research the warranty company and see who they are backed by Insurance wise and how long they have been around. A lot of these Extended Service Contract suppliers are fly by night suppliers and are just in it for a quick and easy buck courtesy to not only you the consumer but also to the Providing Dealership because if CARS PROTECTION PLUS denies the repair which I can see they are very well known for denying those claims and coming up with excuses of why they aren't covering the repair so you now have to dip into YOUR SAVNGS in order to pay for the repair and get your car back. Please if anyone has questions about anything involving warranty coverages and or companies who are supply you with coverage feel free to ask me

• Sc
      12th of Jul, 2018

Like every coment before me, I have parts of all their stories in mine. Bad customer service, no vehicle for days on end, not covering a tow, not getting a refund on contrat dutvti small printvthey send 7 days after you could get full refund, will not give a partial refund no matter what color policy younwere scammed in to.
    When the dealership offers this option to you laugh at them and walk away from their desk. If they can sell you this warranty, they will sell you a crap vehicle but promise it is great and sound and checked out completely.

• Na
      19th of Oct, 2018

Same boat as everyone else. Didnt take the time to do the research on this company and now that I have a valid claim they are denying it.