Carpeteria / Most dishonest retailer I have ever dealt with

I had sheet vinyl flooring installed in a kitchen/dining area/hallway and bathroom. Because it was several rooms and to avoid more than one seam, the flooring (materials and labor) was $3000.

It was to be installed over the existing floor since my house is on a concrete slab and I didn't want it directly on the slab. I let the installers in and left for a few hours; while I was gone, they ripped out the old flooring and started laying the new one on the slab.

When I got home and inspected the floor I had no idea what they had done, it wasn't until the next day when I moved the furniture and appliances back that I knew. Because the new flooring didn't have an underpayment, everything we moved over it left indentations all over the floor.

Someone from Carpeteria inspected it and said I had moved things back too soon and it was my fault. I moved the furniture back after 24 hours like they instructed me to do. They refused to do anything about it.

Then it got worse- when they removed the old flooring they did not seal the cracks in the concrete slab and moisture seeped into the flooring and discolored it (big pink streaks). I called them again and they told me it was not their problem.

So I filed a complaint with the BBB and they best they were willing to offer me was a new at cost. I said I would consider it and because of that the BBB had to call my case resolved. When I contacted Carpeteria to discuss the offer (twice) they never called me back and when I went into the store, the guy who sold me the floor in the first place said he couldn't help me that I had to call the manager (the one who never returned my calls).

Basically, they said they would fix my floor in order to get the BBB off their backs, and once the case was closed, they refused to speak to me since they know I cannot reopen the case.

So I shelled out $3000 and have several rooms of terrible looking flooring. I would not use Carpeteria again at this point even if they offered me the flooring for free.

Va

Comments

• Ba
      18th of Oct, 2008

I love carpeteria i think they are the #1 flooring company in the world i love my carpet and i love my granite they also did my cabinets nobody beats carpeteria sure everybody makes a mistake now and then let them fix it, just so you know your supposed to rip vinyl out before you lay a new floor and dont forget you ripped the floor not carpeteria barry

• St
      13th of Jan, 2009

There is over 65 carpeteria s in california and nobody is perfect and you should explain what store and in what town this haopened in, the carpeteria company is the best of the best and if you really wanted your fixed they would of fixed it, i had one small issue they fixed it the next day, i love carpeteria and i would nt use anybody else

• Ne
      18th of May, 2009

I recently had about 3000 square feet of carpeting installed by Carpeteria and I was very pleased with everything. My salesperson Karen was very knowledgeable, answering all of my questions without pushing the sale. The owner was involved in negotiating the final price and was very pleasant to deal with and very fair. The carpet installers worked very hard and did a beautiful job installing with a limited number of seams. I would highly recommend visiting Carpeteria in Lancaster, CA if you need carpeting and if quality is as important to you as it was to me. I need carpeting that's going to last.

• Ba
      4th of Sep, 2009

I wonder which Carpeteria you are talking about?? The one in San Diego did a great job. They installed tile and hardwood in my home and were very professional. Sorry your experience didn't go so well.

• Mo
      15th of Nov, 2009

I would take Carpeteria to Small Claims Court if I were you. They didn't give you merchantable quality products and service. Forget the BBB complaint, go to court and let the judge decide if they, in their dealings behaved in a reputably. It sounds like they didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Don't be a victim, you have rights. Use them.

• Ca
      24th of Aug, 2010

Concerning Carpeteria - San Leandro CA Don't let them near a calculator and recommend the amount of tiles required. Based on the submitted drawings, 76 square feet of 6x3 tiles was the surface area to be covered. They calculated out the number of boxes of tiles required taking into consideration cutting and possible breakage. At the end of the job 2 boxes of tiles (25 square feet) were let over. When asked to return the unopened boxes, they were quick to point out that the signed sales order doesn't allow for returns; regardless of their miscalculation.
    The industrystandard is 5% extra for cutting and breakage - they added 25%. That's a quick way to sell more tiles...

• Pa
      30th of Nov, 2010

CarterMontana,
    Same thing happened to me..I have 3 boxes of wood flooring left over and they wont refund, say its a close out item. San Leandro also.

• Sh
      9th of Aug, 2011

I purchased carpet in the Lancaster CA Store, to replace a piece that had been water damaged. While it was in their warehouse, Carpeteria's roof received water damage and they said they would reorder it for me. I picked it up and brought it home. The contractor that installed the carpet asked me how much I paid for the carpet. I told him and he said it was too expensive for a remnant. I told him I ordered carpet, I did not buy a remnant. When the original piece was damaged they must have replaced it with a remnant. The installer told me it was not wide enough to have been ordered and he could see where it had been cut and there were several numbers on the back that told him it was left over from a previous job. Not only was it not the size I paid for, it was not even close to the same color. I just picked out new carpet from a reputable carept company in the Antelope Valley and I paid 4.00 a sq yard more for a the top grade carpet then what I paid for this remnant. Live and learn! I

26th of May, 2017