Carnival Cruise Lines / mileading information

1 Mobile, AL, United States Review updated:

I was called by Carnival two weeks before my cruise and offered a discounted balcony room. The agent told me the view was "partially" obstructed and all else was normal. I bought it and when I arrived found the view to be totally obstructed by life boats and maitenance walkways. Every morning we would wake up to chains clinking and workers right outside our window performing maintenance on the walkway. The room was also next to the crew elevator and till 2 am all nights we heard doors slamming and general noise that kept us awake. Also the customer service on the boat was horrible. I was humilitated at a bar due to my age and asked for ID. Carnival sail and sign cards list restrictions such as under 21 when the staff swipes the card and when I told him I dont carry my DL on the boat just to swipe my card he stated, "Look its not my fault you look like child, give me drivers license or no drink" THis occurred in a packed area and was humiliating. When I got home I called Carnival and attempted to obtain a refund on only the room upgrade in the end and was told no compenstation would be given due to it being my fault I did not know the room's view was obstructed. Craziness. Through emails and phone calls I got no help. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau but of course nothing will come of that. If you are considering a crusie spend a little extra and go on a quality cruise liner not owned by carnival because chances are if you have issues they will not care or attempt to rectify the problems. Its getting to the point now days that as consumers we have no recourse with the companies when we are wronged.

Comments

• Sr
      30th of Apr, 2012

We booked a Carnival Cruise in August 2011 for a sailing in April 2012, I was hesitant because my husband's work schedule does not allow for vacation or sick days. He works for 21 days and is off for 21 days. However, there are a number of unforseen events which could change his "off" days. I told the sales representative this when I called about the cruise. She immediately told me about the travel insurance. She reassured me a number of times by saying "if you have to cancel for ANY reason up to the day wyou board the ship you will get your money back". Needless to say we had to cancel in January 2012 because my husband's shift was changed and he would no longer be off that week. The insurance company denied out claim because "No work related events qualify for the insurance". I have tried to work with Carnial on this issue. They even state on their website "cancel for any reason". I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureas, which by the way Carnival is not a member. Carnival's response is: yes, we sell insurance which cover you for any unforseen event, but we won't give you a refund. They are totally double talking in order to sell cabins. I have traveled many places and used many different means to book. I usually purchase travel insurance and, in the 1 or 2 times I have had to cancel, it has gone very smoothly and we received a refund. I had no reason to think this was any different. Especially since the representative told me the insurance would cover a cancellation, their own website states under the travel protection page "cancel for any reason", and their own response to my BBB complaint states "Yes, we do offer travel insurance for any unforseen event.". I have cruised a number of times. Carnival, Norwegian and Disney, this is truely a dissapointment. To add insult to financial injury, they have resold the 3 cabins at triple the price we originally paid for them. I will say they have offered a cruise credit of 75% of the amount we paid for a future cruise. However, at this point I just want what I thought I was sold, my money back!