Carmax / Fraud and cheating

1 Dulles, VA, United States Review updated:

I am extremely distraught right now. My husband and I bought our vehicles from Carmax 3 years ago and were told all about the company's wonderful ethics, dedication to customers, etc. and that Carmax will buy your car (that you bought from Carmax) back for a great price.

We are moving to England and have to sell our car. Trusting that Carmax would give us a fair deal, we go to them. First, my husband's car, a 2002 Ford Taurus in excellent condition. The Kelly Blue Book value is between $5000 and $7000. They offer him $5000. He is disappointed, but it was just a little under the KBB value for his particular car, so he took the offer. It really hurt because he still owed $5349 on the car, so had to pay them when selling them his car. We were consoled by the fact that my car would make some money.

My car is a 2002 black Ford Escort ZX2 premium in great condition, with 29K miles, and all the options (automatic, sunroof, automatic, leather seats, ABS, etc.). The Kelly Blue Book value is between $[protected] and my husband predicts we'll get $6200. They 'appraise' the car and tell us what a great car it is, how it's the perfect car for Carmax to buy, particularly with the low mileage, and then offer $4000!!! My mouth gaped open and I explained how we were expecting a lot more since the car was worth more. An 'appraiser' was brought in and eventually concurred with me that we would get 'at least $6000' for the car 'on the streets, ' but that Carmax's first offer is final and that they do not negotiate. I owe $4700 on the car.

So, we were expecting to make a few thousand dollars and ended up being screwed out of a thousand. I literally spent the day bawling because I don't want to get rid of my car and feel so incredibly helpless and taken advantage of. They know we are moving overseas tomorrow and that we don't have another choice.

As an addition, we both bought the extended warranties on the cars, but when my husband brought his car in with a simple problem, they refused to fix it and only tried to temporarily stop the problem from happening. I caution everybody to stay away from Carmax and feel stupid for having listened to their story about being fair, honest, and reasonable. Admitting the car is worth at least $6000 and then offering $4000 is a slap in the face.

I will NEVER go to Carmax again and will caution all my friends, family, acquaintances, and coworkers about their unethical predatory business practices.

Va

Comments

Va
  11th of Nov, 2008

Helped my daughter by her 1st car in Feb., 2008 from carmax. We bought a 2001 Saturn, a very nice clean car and red like my daughter wanted. Thinking that with Carmax and their 125 point inspection, we were getting a car that was dependable and trust worthy.

Boy were we soon to find out that was a big joke. Had car for a few months and started having minor problems. Cigarette lighter dead, water leak and transmission starting to slip and engine smoking and using oil badly. Took car into shop at carmax on the southwest freeway here in houston. It took over a month to get the car repaired half a$$ed.

They replaced only half the parts needed for a major overhaul, Like replaced the exhaust valve stem seals but not the intake seals. Replaced only the piston rings, but no where does the repair list show any gaskets, main seals, cam bearings, etc... With me being a former mechanic, when you have that much damage you rebuild motor or replace with a rebuilt motor. They replaced waterpump not once but twice, cause 1st one was wrong they said. Then the transmission was rebuilt with only a few parts replaced, not a full rebuild as needed. When trannie slips its a complete overhaul.

Had car back one week, and back to shop again, Smoking again, loosing water and trannie acting up again. Again car is in shop for about a month. And this time they say its only a sensor or 2 is the problem.

We get car back again, this time full tank of gas gone, brakes making noise. Which I replaced front and rear brake pads and rear wheel cylanders and rotors. Test drive car and low and behold its smoking again, blue smoke and water leaking again.

Back to shop at carmax again, Still haven't fixed problem, and I get told take it to Saturn Dealer and we will reimburse you the 75 dollar for the warranty. I haven't even got their stupid warranty company still to reimburse me for the rental car I got the first time around.

Car now smokes, gas mileage has gone from upper 20's to low 30's to maybe low 10's. Water still leaks and a car that is not dependable for my daughter to drive and not worth making car payments on. All carmax says basically oh well, we can buy back but be less than you owe and still have to pay off balance.

Carmax is a rip off in my book.

Li
  18th of Nov, 2008

Thank you for telling me that. There is a CarMax in Hays and I saw some nice cars but after what I read about the company, I will not buy a car from CarMax.

Jo
  16th of Feb, 2009

If Kelly Blue Book said your cars were worth more then why didn't you sell them to Kelley?

Wh
  2nd of Oct, 2009

The fact is, you sold your car to Carmax because it was your only option. I mean, I guess you could have takin it down to the KBB office and have them buy it. Or just take it to another dealership and have them buy it from you. Look, you had to get rid of two cars very quickly and Carmax was able to make that happen without a huge loss on your behalf. You lost some money, but think about this. What if the transmission or engine goes bad in your car before you got rid of it. That would be worth bawling over. What if you sold the car for $6000 to your neighbor and the day before you move away, he is knocking on your door wanting his money back b/c the A/C quit working. You basically sold 2 cars in 1 hours time and now have the peice of mind that you will never have to worry about those cars ever again. What if Carmax didnt exist. What path would your life have taken then? Convenience and piece of mind is worth a little bit sometimes.