Carmax / They underpay salesmen

This is to any real Car Salesmen out there. Don't even bother with Carmax. Sell a car and you make $150, sell a warranty you make $100, then get lucky enough to meet their off the wall bonus program for the month you might get an extra $50 for every car that meets the program.

I went through their interview process, it was a joke! I actually started laughing when they presented me their pay plan, and walked out when I got to the part of the interview where they asked me to "sell" them a bic pen. I told them "I sell cars, I don't sell pens." I laughed again and told them to disregard this interview.

Carmax is all about the money. They don't pay their salesmen fairly and their cars are usually $1, 500-$2, 000 overpriced. No haggling and you will definitely deal with an uneducated salesperson. Because good salespeople wouldn't be caught dead working there. During the interview I asked "How many cars did your top salesmen sell last month?" I was told that info was confidential, but he told me if I asked him he would say 0, but if you asked him how many "relationships" he made then he would tell you! I thought I was going to puke! Avoid Carmax!

Va

Comments

• Al
      6th of Feb, 2010

At Carmax I entered and said "Hi, Im here to see your Audi TT Coupe" the dude says "Oh...Ok, who makes that?" . Then I asked if the Audi had Quattro and he cheerfully smiled and said he didnt know but would find out for sure (like he was more very proud of his itegrity for not uttering BS, but shouldve been ashamed of not knowing his trade).

As we were walking to the car we passed a 05 VW Touareg TDI with the V10 I got very excited over perhaps the most powerful and offroad capable SUV ever made but the stupid a**underpayed corporate brainwashed ### carmax salesman says "I dont know much about this one, it seems priced high to me ya know we got a Nissan Murano over there...sorta looks the same" I went OFF: "This VW SUV has 500 Lbs of torque and can crawl a 45degree angle on and on and on and on...the ### Carmax salesperson said " Hmmm you know alot about auto stuff" in a respectful way though I wanted to slap him I just said " Nope I just read Car and Driver Magazine"

Later I was getting numbers on my car/trade and this overconfident 6'5 black lady named Windisha (certified auto purchasing agent my a**)tells me that my old Audi got a lower offer than KBB because "Audi dont hold it value dat well" (as im trying to buy the TT). I got up and left and havent been back I also paid a little more over at Audi for a comparably same car just on professionalism.

• Mc
      18th of May, 2010

I have a friend that works at carmax, he claims to be one of the top dogs... I don't know how many cars he sells but he mad about 75, 000 last year. he told me he could possibly make more else where but carmax has good benefits and a much less stress then other dealers.

• Li
      24th of May, 2010

OP - I called around, and have spoken to other sales personnel from other dealerships, and Carmax's pay was on par with what the industry generally pays. While it may seem as if selling for a fixed rate is unfavorable to someone used to a variable commission, the practice eases consumers because they know that their SC is not trying to sell them any particular model based on how much money they'll make - being paid the same, no matter what, makes a person a little more objective about the information they volunteer. As for selling the pen - if you are familiar with the sales process, you can sell anything. The top earner at our store regularly had six figure years (averaging 25 cars per month), and even he was eclipsed by someone at the location across the street who managed to sell 120 cars in his first three months to friends and family.

Carmax standards for FT employees is 10 sales with 60% ESP - with $150 per sale and $100 per ESP, the SC meeting the bare minimum would make $2100/mo. Carmax also pays for appraisal purchases, 10% of accessories, and has a rotating monthly spiff (either an extra $50 per ESP or $25 (or $50) per unit) which helped to pad the checks a bit. A PT SC had to deal with 6/4. Remember, these are minimums, and many surpassed these numbers. The key is to work smarter, and not harder.

Alex - SCs are trained to sell, but are not encyclopedias. Very few could actually rattle off specs, but their primary duty was to find a vehicle which could meet the needs (or emotional wants) of a customer, and keep them within their budgets while doing so. Having a job selling cars does not require the employee to subscribe to automotive enthusiast magazines, autocross on the weekends, and modify their own cars with aftermarket parts. I don't walk into a retail store and expect the cashier to know the specifications of XYZ HDTV, but rather to know the basics, facilitate the transaction, and get me out of the store as quickly as possible.

As for the "underpayed corporate brainwash [censor]" - they may know how to spell "paid".