Carmax / dismissive and disrespectful staff

US Review updated:

Carmax does not allow pre-purchase inspection of their vehicles. Once you pay your money and drive off the lot, do NOT expect quality customer care as a follow up to your purchase. After having purchased a high end luxury vehicle from Carmax and taking it to a luxury brand specialist for a post-purchase inspection, I discovered a few minor issues. I promptly scheduled an appointment with Carmax to address and fix those issues. They would not take in my vehicle until the 5th day after purchase. (You will have 5 calendar days to address mechanical issues and return the vehicle). Instead of replacing rear brake pads and rotors which were deemed to be "very low" by the luxury brand specialist, Carmax simply told me that they were fine in their opinion. Instead of ordering the $185 missing undercarriage panel, Carmax said they wanted me to come in and point out what was missing. How would I know? Instead of addressing the driver side door which would not close properly, Carmax said it seemed to be due to a puffy inner door seal. Bottom line: Carmax will take your money and run with it, leaving you to diagnose and fix any issues with the vehicle yourself. I had even purchased the highest level of extended warranty, which did no good as it did not cover the said repair. The sales manager spoke down to me and argued with me for a half hour about why I was wrong to ask for a little consideration and quality customer service.

I spoke to a service tech, the service manager, the sales manager, a business office associate, an operations manager, 3 customer care rep's in the corporate office, the CEO's secretary. No one would connect me to the local branch's general manager or to the company CEO. Why? Because no one of real power wants to hear of how shoddy their employees treat their "valued" customers. The repair I requested would cost, in their opinion, "a couple hundred dollars".

If Carmax won't absorb a "couple hundred dollars" to satisfy a customer, aggravates a situation by arguing with the customer, does not return phone calls as promised, then they do not deserve a good reputation. The public and the shareholders have a right to know how dismissive and disrespectful the staff is.

Ab

Comments

• Ca
      Jul 02, 2009

• Th
      Aug 26, 2009

I RECENTLY WANTED TO PURCHASE A CAR FROM CAR MAX AND DID SO. ON THE 5TH DAY I TOOK THE CAR BACK AS IT WAS NOT EQUIPPED WITH A BLUE TOOTH AS IT WAS DEASCRIBED. tHE SALES MANAGER SAID HE WOULD SELL ME ANOTHER VEHICLE FOR 1700 CASH MOR DOWN. I TOOK THIS AMOUNT WITH ME TO PURCHASE THE CAR. WHEN I GOT THERE THEY TOLD ME THEY WERE WRONG IT WOULD BE 5300 MORE INSTEAD OF THE 1700. I SUPPOSE THEY CANT ADD DID I HAVE THE MONEY YES, WOULD I GIVE IT TO THEM NO. NUMBER ONE AND FOREMOST A PERSON IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THEIR WORD AND THEIR WORD IS EVIDENTALY NO GOOD. I WOULD RIDE A BICYCLE BEFOR I WOULD PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT ADD. I WONDER IF THE SALES MANAGER FINISHED SCHOOL. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS AN HONEST ANSWER AND A GOOD CAR WHICH DOES HAVE JACKED UP PRICES. COMPARE THEIR WINDOW STICKERS WITH NADA AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.

• Li
      May 24, 2010

OP - you had five days within which you could return the vehicle. Nowhere does the return policy state you need to get mechanical issues sorted within that time period. If your post purchase inspection found problems and you could not get resolution, then you simply could have returned the vehicle. This policy is not in small print, and was printed on the brochure your Sales Consultant attempted to give you. It's also all over the website, but we can't expect people to read and understand anything anymore. It's much simpler to cry and whine because we didn't act fast enough to take advantage of something.

Thomas - did you bother to verify the price difference yourself before going to get the money? While the manager may have made a mistake, you make yourself out to be an academic genius with a PhD in mathematics, so you must have quickly agreed his numbers were correct. Or did you make a mistake as well?