Carignan Watch Company / Carignan Watch NH sold my Watches, nothing back!

1 141 Main StreetBelmont, NH, United States Review updated:

In 2004, I sent Carignan Watch Company, of Belmont, NH, 2 watches for repair. He was supposed to have a good reputation. One was my prized and best watch, a Universal COMPAX Chronograph from 1946 that just needed the second hand reattached. It was in pristine condition. Denis Carignan talked me into a full overhaul instead. The other was a prized family heirloom HAMILTON Automatic of one of my best friends, inscribed to his father on his retirement. I promised my friend I would have his watch repaired, then afterwards had to explain that the repairman, that supposedly had a good reputation, ripped us both off and his father's watch is long gone. This was very embarrassing for me to do, after giving my word I would take care of it for him. Just after sending my watches by certified mail, I received an estimate and learned that the repair should take around 4-6 months. Right after this, I received the news from my doctor that I had Cancer and would need Radiation Therapy. I figured Carignan would be fine for a bit, and put everything off until after my treatment. After my recovery, less than 4 months later, I learned that Carignan Watch had sold my watches, after amending their policy of storage after repair during my treatment (without any notification by mail for this change) of how long they would keep watches after repair from 1 year to 60 days. So while they had my watches, they change their policy on storage after repair from 1 year to 60 days from the date of repair. (Did they change their storage policy to steal my watches?) They repaired them long before I thought they would, and then SOLD MY WATCHES AND DID NOT GIVE ME A DOLLAR IN COMPENSATION. I send my watches for repair, they sell them off after amending their storage policy without telling me, and give me NOTHING. I would at LEAST expect the value of the watches minus the repair costs, but I get NOTHING! So I am out $2000 in watches. BEWARE.

Va

Comments

• Ri
      30th of Aug, 2010

I intended to do a little business with Denis Carignan, but decided to pass on him. I'm a serous watch collector and I had in mind sending him two pieces for renovation (this was before I learned to do the work myself). After a coople of telephone conversations, however, I decided that he oozed a little too much slime for my taste.

Anyway, I hope you dis not let Carignana get away with what he did to you.

Richard Vidaurri
    San Gabriel, California

• Cw
      8th of Jul, 2011

Denis Carignan has been an absolute pleasure to deal with!
    I sent him a 25 year old Tag-Heuer which the manufacturer no longer supported and he was able to perform miracles. He completely reworked the watch with a new saphire crystal, had the dial remade to look brand new (incl. luminescense) and performed numerous other repairs. I also feel the cost was quite fair.
    I 'm an EXTREMELY particular person and Denis has succeeded in living up to my exacting standards. I will, without hesitation, send Carignan Watch ALL of my future watch business.
    My experience with Denis was pleasant and the end result was thrilling!

C.W.
    Waterford, CT

17th of Aug, 2011

This watch has now been owned by 8 generations of my family. My father will be 91 on his next birthday, and is the oldest son of his father. My father remembers this watch, as a child, but has never seen it run. The history of George & Jonas Roush can be found on the internet, by searching for "The Shenandoah Valley Roushes". This watch is believed to have belonged to one of them, but we are uncertain of which. George Roush married Catherine Zerkle approx 1781, and had a son named John Roush. Jonas Roush married Barbara Fox approx 1785, and had a daughter named Regina. John Roush married Regina Roush, and had a son named Benjamin Roush, who married Sophia Altman in 1839. Benjamin and Sophia had a daughter named Sarah Elizabeth Roush, who married John Michael Kauff I 8/6/1865. Their oldest son was John Michael Kauff II, and the watch was designated to be passed to the oldest living John. It passed to my grandfather, John Preston, on John Michael II's death in 1947, and to my uncle John Richard, upon his father's death in 1973. My father was the eldest son, but was not named John, so I intend to modify the lineage of the watch slightly, having received the watch when my father's younger brother passed in 2005. It was a sad day when I received it, but my intent is to return it to my father to belong to his generation for as long as possible.

Denis, I want to thank you personally, as I feel that my family owes you a debt of gratitude. This watch has been laying at the bottom of drawers, largely forgotten for a century or more. Your skillful restoration, taking every care to preserve the antique dignity of this watch, while allowing it to take it's place among the prized family heirlooms is very deeply appreciated. You had every opportunity to charge me a LOT more money, as you and I both know that I would have paid almost any amount for this restoration, but your honesty, professionalism, and golden-rule virtues are traits that are so uncommon in today's greed-induced world. I would recommend you without reservation to anybody. My sincere thanks, friend...and God bless. I hope our paths cross again soon.