CarHistory.us.org / Deceptive advertising

online, United States Review updated:

Avoid - They sign you up for automatic payments. You might get a refund if you persevere.

These guys have a great business model for ripping people off! If you order a $1 car history report, they sign you up for automatic monthly payments, which used to be $9.95, but are much higher now. (These charges are mentioned only on the second page of “Terms and Conditions” and nowhere else on the website that I could find!) When you contact their customer service they are very polite, and agree to cancel your payments, and even offer a refund. They may or may not really do so, but they’re nice about it! If you pester them enough, they will eventually cancel, and refund a few payments. I kept pestering them, and a manager finally offered a full refund by check, but it’s been over a month and I haven’t gotten it. It looks like they rip people off, politely refund as little as possible and with as many delays as possible, but will give you your money back if you persevere. I think their real business name is “Penguin Leads”, which is rated D- by BBB.

Ba
Feb 11, 2014

Comments

• Ka
      Feb 12, 2014

Hello Bazeen,
    We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the experience you recently had with our website and services. Please feel free to contact me via email at [protected]@carhistory.us.org if you would like to obtain a refund for the charges you have incurred.

• Ba
      Feb 13, 2014

I'll try, but when I send an e-mail to that address I usually get this message:

I have received your email and you can expect a response
    within the next hour. If for any reason you do not receive a response today
    please feel free to visit CarHistory.us.org for 24/7 live chat support.

Then nothing happens!

• Ba
      Feb 18, 2014

Here's the email:
    "KarmenJones-Car"
    has sent you a message on ComplaintsBoard.com:

Hello Bazeen,

I apologize for the experience that you had on our site. We appreciate your
    feedback and will use this to improve our products and services. Please contact
    me for a full refund.

I want to make this right for you. I will ensure that your refund is processed
    if you would provide me with your email address and order number. I would also
    like to offer you a $20 gift card for Amazon.com for the inconvenience you have
    encountered. I hope that our offer will make up for the troubles you have faced
    and that you may reconsider your review here on Sitejabber for our company.

They never did get back to me. Filed a complaint with BBB, and they did respond to that! Bottom line - go directly to BBB. This company has many similar websites to avoid: DMV.us.org, ArrestRecordLookup.com,
    CriminalReports.com, MyPropertyReports.com, Familyhistory.us.org,
    Jailinmate.org, PropertyOwners.org, VehicleHistoryRecord.com, Warrantchecks.org,
    Obituary.us.org, Propertyvaluelookup.com, Propertyrecord.com, Propertytaxrecord.org,
    Vehiclehistory.com, Militaryrecord.org,
    Myvehiclereports.com, Vehiclehistorydata.com, VehicleHistorySource.com,
    VinHistoryrecord.com, Backgroundcheck.us.org, HomeValue.us.org,
    Propertysearch.us.org, Carhistory.us.org,
    Propertytaxrecord.org

• Ka
      May 08, 2014

Hi Bazeen,

I apologize for the inconvenience and the confusion. Please provide me with your email address so that I may issue your Amazon Gift Card right away. Please contact me at [protected]@carhistory.us.org.

Karmen Jones

• Rc
      Jul 21, 2016

This company is fraudulent and does not provide the service offered. Once I saw the report provided I called VISA to cancel my card and tell me I had a fraudulent experience with this company. There is no recourse since you can not find out who is in charge of the company or how to reach them by phone. The pose as a web based company to hide behind illegal business practices. Never, ever, trust his entity.