Careington / Recommended dentist did not honor fees

1 FL, United States Review updated:

On Thursday, Aug 25 2011 I was suffering from some inflammation of the gum above my wisdom tooth. I set out to look for a dental discount plan and called a dentist from Careington's list to confirm the fees as listed by Careington for an oral exam and a bite-wing x-ray. They quoted me $28.00, which was correct. I joined the plan and saw the dentist the same day at 1:30pm. The assistant took a single bite-wing x-ray and then the dentist came in, looked at the x-ray and in my mouth for a couple of minutes and declared the gum was "completely Infected" and the wisdom tooth had to come out. I told her I didn't think there was an infection but only an inflammation but she insisted the tooth had to come out. I then asked her how much it would cost and she went to get the front desk person who told me it would cost $243.00. When I mentioned the Careington fee for an extraction was less than $75.00 ($51.00 to be exact) she said I had already accrued $103.00 in fees, which obviously still won't add up. Then I mentioned she had quoted $28.00 on the phone for the exam and x-ray, that I would find another dentist and would not pay a penny above $28.00. She then said she had to check and went to the reception area and I followed her. She saod OK it's $28.00, I paid and left the office and went home.

I called Careington's customer service to cancel and let them know this dentist was not honoring their fees. Customer Service was very nice and professional. I spoke with Harold who asked me to send them an email and promised me a full refund, including the $20 setup fee. I hung up and immediately sent him and email, repeating my discussion with Harold and adding that I would resubscribe if they recommended a dentist that would honor their fees. I called Harold back to confirm he had received the email. He told me he had.

I work nights so at this point (around 4pm) I had to sleep. I woke at around 8:30 pm and my gum was about 80% better. Hardly any pain at all so it obviously was not "completely infected" as the dentist had claimed. I went to work that night and my tooth continued to improve overnight. Meanwhile, I realized what had caused the inflammation. I had a small cut on the side of the gum, probably caused a couple of days earlier when I ate a bag of corn chips. I thought I had something stuck there, which I could feel with my tongue and that's why I had gone to the dentist expecting she would just pull whatever it was stuck in there.

I went to bed at around 9 am Friday morning (8/26) and woke at about 5 pm. My tooth was then almost 100% better. I could feel now a scar where I had felt something sticking out of my gum. The cut had apparently caused a little flap of my gum to hang out and felt like a splinter or something stuck there. I then sent another email to Careington explaining the situation and stating the dentist had misdiagnosed my condition, in addition to failing to apply Careington's fee schedule. Today (8/30), I still feel a small scar on my gum but I have no inflammation, pain, or sensitivity whatsoever. If I had listened to that dentist I would have lost my tooth for no reason whatsoever. Well maybe there is a reason but not for my benefit.

Because of the very professional customer service and Harold's promise to refund the full amount I paid Careington, I've been thinking the problem was a rogue dentist and not Careington's fault. However, after 2 emails to Careington I have yet to here from them or receive a credit. Today it is Tuesday and only some 2 and a half business days have elapsed since I sent the first email, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, but am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. I may need to file in small claims court. I will come back and update this complaint when I have more info.

Or

Comments

• To
      31st of Aug, 2011

You have learned the hard way that neither Careington nor any other preferred provider network can offer assurance that a dentist will honor a PPO fee schedule. The PPO's practical response to a dissenting provider is limited to removal of the dentist from the network. This doesn't help a consumer with a prior dispute. A consumer will likely ultimately prevail in a fee dispute with a preferred provider by citing the PPO agreement but we hear of many similar disputes inside of dentists' offices regardless of the specific PPO network used. We anticipate that these types of disputes will become increasingly common in both the dental and medical fields as health plans are increasingly being pushed to lower member costs by reducing compensation to providers.
    Tony Novak
    OnlineAdviser services
    onlineadviser.org

• To
      31st of Aug, 2011

PS On a brighter note, Careington's track record of returning fees for cancellation requests has been impeccable, in our experience. It might take up to a full month's billing cycle before you see the refund processed. I've recommended Careington discount networks to those without insurwance for more than 15 years and find them to be "top tier" in fairness and customer satisfaction.

31st of Aug, 2011

Thanks for your comment, Tony. I still have had no response from Careington to my emails.

• So
      23rd of Sep, 2011

Orbach, I have a very similar complaint with Careington Dental and was wondering if you ever received the refund that was promised to you from Careington. I put up a web page letting the world know what Careington Dental is really about. http://www.caringtondentists.com I will keep this page up until I get resolution. Please let me know if you received your refund or not. Thanks

15th of Oct, 2011

Update:
    On 9/23/2011 I checked my account looking for a refund from Careington and to my surprise I found they had charged me another $11.95 just 2 weeks and 1 day after I had paid $11.95 + $20.00 processing fee. They didn't bother to even wait the full month to charge me again. At this point I sent both Careington International and 1dental.com a letter (by email and fax) saying I expected a full refund by 10am 10/4/2011 or I would be filing in small claims court and would be forwarding all correspondence to Attys Gneral of Florida and Texas (where Careington International is based) and to the FBI and the FTC. That same day I also went to my credit union to file a dispute of all of Careington charges. When I returned home that same day I had an email from 1dental.com saying they had dropped the ball on my refund and that I was given a full refund. The email included ACH transaction numbers for two refunds of $11.95 + $31.95. The refund came through a couple of days later as well as a refund from my credit union for the disputed amounts (I have paid my credit union back already).
    In conclusion, I got my full refund back but only after a letter threatening them with small claims and other actions. They did not respond to my original refund/cancellation request and only double charged me instead. I don't recommend anyone do business with Careington and/or 1dental.com. This experience also made me very happy I use a credit union instead of a bank. I am sure the bank would have taken forever to process my dispute. My credit union refunded my money in 2 days.

• Af
      20th of Jan, 2012

"On 9/23/2011 I checked my account looking for a refund from Careington and to my surprise I found they had charged me another $11.95 just 2 weeks and 1 day after I had paid $11.95 + $20.00 processing fee." That's because you enrolled and selected to have your membership effective IMMEDIATELY. NO one "pro-rates" the monthly fee if you join in the middle of the month. You paid for the remainder of Sept. and then paid again for Oct. YOU should have selected the box to have your membership become effective on "the 1st of next month".

• Bo
      22nd of Feb, 2012

If you continue to read the paperwork that outlines the fees you will see everything listed.
    For example if you go to a doctor for surgery, you arent just charged for the surgery. You also will be charged for the hospital for their services, the anesthesiologist, as well as your surgeon. Why would you expect anything different for your dentist...unless of course you want a cavity filled without the area being numbed first.

17th of Apr, 2012

Last two comments are just ignorant.
    First they had already agreed, over the phone, the visit + single bite wing xray would cost $28 as per Careington fee schedule. Then proceeded to charge me $103 for the same. There are no extra charges for these procedures which are defined by the dental association with procedure code numbers. They wanted to charge me more than the Careington fee schedule for the same defined procedure code as listed on the Careington schedule.
    Second, I made the initial payment on Aug 25, 2011. If that was for a partial month (August) why didn't they charge me on Sept 1, 2011. Instead they charged me on or about Sept 13, 2011, two and a half weeks after Aug 25, 2011. But this is really irrelevant given that the Careington fee schedule was not honored by the dentist and thus the plan didn't work for me.

• Af
      17th of Apr, 2012

Really? You became a member over a YEAR ago and now you post a negative review? As an independent sales rep, we always recommend that members have the dental fee schedule with them when they visit an in network dentist. If one runs into a problem with billing, then you can call the Careington member services and the Provider Relations section will get in touch with that dental office and try and sort things out things for you. Almost always, it's the personnel behind the counter that don't know how the discount program worked. As far as billing cycles- when you enroll in Careington you have the option of being able to use the plan immediately or on the 1st of the following month. If your initial payment was on 8-25, then your next payment would be due on or about the 10th of the next month ( depends on what day the 10th falls on)- that's just the billing cycle my dear. Even utility bills aren't billed from the 1st to the 30th of each month. This issue could have easily been solved if you had called someone at Careington.

18th of Apr, 2012

well, my dear, I suggest to play closer attention to this complaint. I filed the initial complaint on 8/30/2011. Like I already said the billing cycle is irrelevant since the plan didn't work for me. When I buy a service I expect to receive the service I paid for without having to make phone calls to demand I receive the service I paid for, especially if I am in serious pain. You don't bother to fully understand this complaint and then proceed to make false accusations. That's exactly the kind of service I would expect from Careington.