Career Services International (CSI) / Overpriced, poor quality

Career Services International (CSI)
For a mere $1, 900, CSI claims to provide high quality resume and letter writing, focused research to find the right hiring manager for your executive-level position, a skills assessment, getting you interviews and offers in 6-8 weeks. Shame on me for believing them!
After paying the initial $950, they provided a resume that was not even close to my background, experience, or desired job description. The "focused, personalized research" was a hodge-podge of companies, more like a shotgun blast than a targeted approach. I have done better research using Reference USA from the public library. They had no clue about what a Professional Services executive does, or who would be interested in hiring them -- although they claimed to have worked with many PS executives. And, they refuse to give me the details of their research so that I could help THEM target the right hiring managers. They didn't provide the skills analysis stated on their website, and their so-called certified expert provided less than what you can find on your own. They are only interested in collecting their fees, definitely not high quality, executive-level employment or job search.
You can find similar services for less than $800, which includes everything that CSI claims, and more willing to work WITH you.

D  22nd of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Career Services International is a respected company. If there is only once complaint against a company dealing with customer service products over an extended time frame, I want them on my side. Regarding this complaint, sounds like the person writing it has his own issues to deal with. Lashing out as a way of rationalizing defeat appears to be a common trait nowadays.
A  25th of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
I have also been "taken" by this Company, at least right now I am gathering evidence and searching for additional complaints to which there are several, about Career Services International NOT providing the services they promised to me.

I have been a client since August of 2008, and so far have only had a Networking Letter and a Resume completed. The contact listings are numerous and do not even match my specific profile I had requested and discussed with them initially. They found so many Companies that I would not even be qualified to work for, but indicated that I should contact them anyway. They certainly looked forward to taking my $1, 900.00, which is a significant amount to anyone, and told me I should have multiple Companies contacting me within weeks. To date, not one response.

In fact, when I called these Companies as part of my "follow-up" with the initial Networking Letter, not one Company knew what I was talking about when I asked if they had received the correspondence I mailed to them. I even had submitted a friends Company name and address, to which there was never any letter received. This is very concerning.

Going through all the "Coaching", and the paperwork was something I was not interested in, as I have been in large operational capacities in a senior/executive level management, for over 25 years, and have been responsible for hiring and training of many, many employees. I felt as though this was "filler", and was not necessary to someone with my background.

I was also told from the start that my resume would also be mailed out. I later found out this is something they do not do, although it clearly states in their Verification Section of their website they will "...print your resume and introduction letters with professional machines. We address each letter to the selected executive, carefully print the envelope and affix a first-class postage stamp. We handle the detail work..." blah, blah. http://www.careersi.com/IndividualServices6.aspx

It has been months now, approaching 12 actually, and still not one contact reponse. Bonnie certainly promised alot, and even went so far as to tell me I would recover my $1, 900.00 through the Company that would hire me. I remain employed, however, contracted these people to provide to me a service. They have NOT done a thing aside from create a nice resume which I could have done on my own. They promise much more than they are willing to deliver. I am going to pursue this and will get my investment refunded. Those of you out there that have experienced the same, I would encourage you all to submit a complaint. These guys are a joke and a rip off!
A  20th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Absolutely correct! These people claim all sorts of things and when you get further into conversations they change.
There ia NOTHING these folks offer that you cannot do yourself. $ 1900 is a lot of money to pay for (form) letter writing and postage. They have no rapport and few contacts with the supposed list of company contacts. Information websites on companies and management is in the public domain, they've just gone out and compiled a list of their own and are selling it for $1900. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!
A  8th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Thank you TM for agreeing with me. I am presently gathering information with respect to additional complaints about CSI, I have already filed a formal complaint with the FTC, the State of Florida, the Better Business Bureau, and my Attorney who is actively pursuing this. The only positings that are positive are most likely their own employees, which are Bonnie, Valerie or Anna. I do not know of any other employees that work there. The storm is coming CSI. Better get your boots ready!

Still enraged in NY.
A  27th of Jan, 2010 by
I am still collecting info on CSI. I got roped into a job that seemed "too good to be true", after being recruited by CSI. Had no idea that their website told employers they would provide employees with a "sixty day money back guarantee" but when I was mistreated by the employer and then called in and suddenly terminated something fishy seemed to be going on. When the person who unceremoniously let me go said "It's just not a good fit, just not a good fit" without looking me in the eye, I was extremely confused, there was no cause to let me go. THEN I looked up CSI's website and their exact words are that they will not charge for a placement if they "aren't a good fit within sixty days". If I had ANY IDEA I was putting myself into a position to be used - as holiday work so their real employees could take the holidays off- I NEVER would have taken the job. I was USED and then DISPOSED OF.
A  9th of Jun, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was contacted by CSI after I had visited or maybe even set up an "account" at a job search website. During the phone conversation Mike Mailman stated in effect that CSI can identify the particular problems that a target firm is experiencing and then CSI can help tailor my resume to show how I would be a good fit. He also explained that CSI mails out resumes, can help with cover letters, etc.

I made the following request to Mr. mailman via email on June 8, 2010:

Can you provide references, i.e. prior clients? Also, can you provide specific examples of an employers problems/needs that you identified?

CSI reply (partial):

Good to hear from you again. Sorry your search has remained unsuccessful so far.

I am not sure I clearly understand your request for me to provide examples of employer “problems/needs” we have identified. If I understand you correctly, this is not information I have in your case, as I am unable to do such research or provide you such work product until after you are in fact our client. I hope you understand. If I have misunderstood what you were asking, just let me know so that I may address.

My further request on June 8:

I was thinking of examples of employer problems/needs that you have identified for past or current clients in the civil engineering field.

CSI response on June 9:

I am certain you will understand that I cannot provide you such valuable work product unless you are a client.

Based on the responses from CSI, I concluded that they are not a company I want to give my money to.
A  29th of Jun, 2010 by
GOOD for YOU, John H.!!! You have saved yourself $1900 and MUCH time and anguish. I will take your advice next time. Wish I had been as skeptical when called by CSI.
A  5th of Aug, 2010 by
I have to agree with the disappointment most folks are expressing with Career Services International. I am really disappointed with the results they provide. The resume review and rewrite was okay, but I could probably have got the same output for a lower cost. Where I think the scam portion of this comes in has to do with their customized company pull.

CSI attempts to get you to buy into thousands of dollars worth of mailings upfront, claiming that you need to send out 1, 000 cover letters and resumes to get 6 or 7 responses. Are you kidding me? If this is customized and their resume services are so great, why would you get a response rate like this. You would probably be better off going through the normal channels to get your resume seen.

I decided to let them prove themselves and agreed to buy 150 mailings and check the results. The only thing I received in return was a few letters back saying that the CEOs and CMOs I sent letters to are not involved in the hiring process and that I need to go through the respective company's job boards.

What a waste of money.

I get better results from Yahoo!, Monster, The Ladders, etc. CSI uses a shotgun where you really want someone using a scalpel. I caution anyone who is thinking of using these folks because as far as I am concerned, their services are mostly a waste of time and money.
A  11th of Aug, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Channel nine news has the owner, Gabriel Klein, running into the woods when questioned. What more do you need? Check it out and make your call.