Career Network, Inc / possible fraud

1 Review updated:

Career-network.com advertises employment opportunities on Craigslist. The company name is never mentioned. If anyone ever got a job through this company, I would like to hear about it. After responding to the ad, you are directed to one of several shell websites under the banner of career-network.com to fill out your personal information including your address and what cell phone carrier you use as well as whether you own your own business, whether you indent to pursue more education, what your credit score is etc.

After replying to this, a second e-mail directs you confirm the previous information and provide personal information about your references. No additional information about the position, such as location, company, etc. is provided. It has a very bad smell about it; it is probably just an elaborate phishing scam.

The company operates under several aliases and uses an Orlando FL snail-mailbox for correspondence. According to one investigator, the company is registered in Delaware.

"A company spokesman alleged on aboutus.com they are incorporated in Delaware. I found a recent incorporation of a Career Network Inc., File Number: 4545479, Incorporation Date / Formation Date: 05/09/2008."

The aliases include:
www.employmentflash.com
www.twinklecareers.com
www.yourcareerdrive.com

Another investigator reported:

"On the "corporate" site http://www.careernetworksite.net/ they give the address 1001 Craig Rd, Suite 240; St. Louis, MO 63146. Telephone: [protected]. No TOS and not incorporated in Missourri.
On their main working site http://www.careernetworkjobs.com TOS it says they are in Orange County, Florida jurisdiction. Both sites domain registration is anonymous via Network Solutions."

These are believed to be subsidiaries of another notorious scamming company, Internet Solutions Corp.

More Career Network, Inc Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Je
      Oct 31, 2008

What happens to all our personal information, phone numbers, home addresses, everywhere we have worked, where is this information going to and how is it being used. I even contacted the FBI, because in today's world--do you really want your resume in the hands of a stranger/scam company/agency committing fraud by posting phony jobs JUST to get ALL your personal information/everywhere you have worked. I tried it several times, believing the jobs were real and I'd be sent an email asking to submit more information. By the third time, I could tell the jobs were phony--and I hate that careerbuilder and other valid job search sites allow these companies to post on them (yes I complained to careerbuilder and posted a warning to others on their web posts). So, WHO has gotten our information, WHAT are they using it for (stealing your identity???!!). Hey, OUR resumes hold ALL our information (except the one big thing and that's SS#s). But who knows if answering their emails, they eventually got your SS#, maybe they ask for dates of birth and by now--they could be filling out credit cards in our names, buying homes, selling your ID to telemarketers, and as if it's not hard enough to find a job! I HATE job.com because they seem to host this phony "career network" (someone said they might also have an office in India! ALL our info out there, to do whatever they want with it. How do we stop them?!

• Sk
      Nov 06, 2008

I just came across this today. I was "selected" for an IT Project Manager position from "thalliumcareersearch.com" and this too should be added to the alias list. Any job postings from these sites should be considered a scam and if it sounds too good to be true that it is!!!

Usually pretty optomistic about the job search and explore alot of possibilities, just this one actually raised my hunch and did a little research and come to find out the organization is a scam!!! Be very wary these days. I really don't submit alot of information anyhow until I've talked witha person and even then I'm a little hesitant.

Nov 07, 2008

I believe I fell into the same trap. But I got the listing trough the state unemployment commission. I learned my lesson. I'll that youllookforcareers is wanting is for you to pick a University online or face to face and what degree or advance degree you want. Then within five minutes of your submission, you get a call from the one that you pick.

If they were not a scam:

1. They would not be hawking these online Universities in a way that if you don't fill in the blanks you don't go on.
    2. They would give you an out so skip over the "future education" advertisements and move you to the real thing.
    3. There e-mail correspondence would have an e-mail address, phone number or both to respond back to a specific person.
    4. The HR guy, sounds like the name of an actor Larry Minnetti Human Resources Gee, anyone remember Magnum P.I.
    5. I did a Zaba search on that name, found 12 hits with L Minnetti, no Larry Minnetti, and most were in PA. and none in Orlando Florida the address of the business.

I wish I had thought it though when I made the applications out.

Be careful folks, now I will be getting more phone calls and junk mail again.

Joe

Nov 13, 2008

I have received about my 10th email now from Thallium, another front for Career Network. They are all worded about the same on the email, and if they don't say CN, the terms and agreements page always says Career Network. I actually answered a craigslist posting the first time I was caught, and it came back of course, with a rep's email who directed me to the CN webpages. I realized though, that evan an on-line agency who is legitimate would never ask for references in this manner, so I filled out fake info, but put my real email address just to see what would happen, and I did get an auto-response email. Unfortunately, except for the front people hired to scan emails on Yahoo, whom I've complained to, most of this is done with auto-generating software programs. I don't believe the person behind this is comitting identity theft, as I used to work for a lender in the fraud investigation department, and we also worked with identity theft victims that had fraud loans on their credit. Although, we sometimes found that they made new personas as a compiliation of identities, so it is possible. Harder for FBI to trace a name and address from one place, a social from another person, etc. etc. I stupidly have my complete address on my resume as well, but who knew once my lender had to declare bankruptcy that fraudsters are in the job seeker market now too.

The really bad news is that I've traced the name behind Career Network to Alexander Simon another he was tracked to Kids Talent Network out of Las Vegas, and there are reports on /link removed/ It doesn't end there, they all trace back to Ahmed El-Defrawi who was partner with Lou Pealman in a big model agency scam. Lou Pearlman is now spending 25 years in jail, and it took 5 yrs of investigating and trials to get him there. El-Defrawi has also spent 4 yrs in jail on a different fraud related case, and time for child abuse (gee, the person called Alec Simon behind Kids Talent Network). I wouldn't trust what is happening with your information since he took money from kids parents, but in all of the charges, it seems he was selling info to 3rd party broadcast spammers, or charge fees for services that he didn't perform. No Identity Theft. He may be smart enough to not do anything totally illegal. Similar to Lou Pearlman harder to press charges and get conviction for services not rendered, and it has to be proved servcies weren't up to par. If you search Wikipedia for these names you'll find the histroy plus a lot on the fraud alert sites. Yahoo Answers has someone posting Career Network, then bogus people answering saying, yes, great place, got a job through them. Oscarthegrouch avatar seems to be the one promoting the most, and I saw a fraud alert saying he is Defrawi or related. I looked up everything I could on Defrawi and he joins blog sites or boards as his own name, such as college boards, and a trucker school site board, and eventually the conversations get around to him suggesting Career Network or he knows of a place. And, later when I thought to look at the member list, Career Network was signed up as a member? gee, not a person, but a company. So he is preying on students. I haven't seen anyone talk about this part either, and I believe it is against regulations to sign up a company not a student on a member list. But, I feel this even more proves that Defrawi is behind Career Network. Too much of a coincedence.

All we can do is continue to report, to the job boards and yahoo, but also report to the FTC (Federal Trade Comission), FCC, and FBI. If enough of us report, there will be continuing investigations and eventually he'll be caught. But there are others. All I can say is never give out information until you check out a company first, and never give out confidential information unless in person. An job search agency, never asks for references until you are actually 'signing' an agreement or you are scheduled for an interview. That's not the normal process, even if it is on-line. Even the job boards are bogus.

Another one I just figured out but they seemed to be okay in the beginning is Sky Shout Agency, that has a job board and suposedly real jobs, but I have now had 2 emails saying I don't quite qualify and need Quick Books, and they send me to a site to purchase a low cost version. There was another email about another job, and they sent me to another site to pay for services, can't remember what. But the really bad thing is, this again, came from a posting I replied to on craigslist that really did seem legitimate, they may get some jobs, but I never ever signed up on the Sky Shout job board, and they must be new, very little is out there about Sky Shout.

Life Path Unlimited is another scammer, they are selling ministry webinars and books, the reps keep some and the rest of the money is turned over to whoever is behind the scheme. It seems to be some kind of pyramid thing, as I found out about them through a solicitation after posting my resume on Yahoo Hot Jobs, trying to get me to be some kind of ministry coach or something. Not much about them either, but enough.

Just keep on reporting and be aware. Even if some are never charged, if the consumers get smarter, they will not have a base to pull from and will be out of business.

Nov 18, 2008

thecareeraccess.com is another Career Network alias.
    These are ridiculous, I agree something needs to be done!

• Va
      Nov 20, 2008

This is a a real scam, these jobs on craigs list never say who the employer is, and all you get are these
    bogus remail's asking for more information even though you already applied through CraigList.
    These are phony jobs, and you never get any type of response for the position all want is your
    personal information.
    With today unemployment being so bad, there are alot of scams going on out there!

• Si
      Nov 24, 2008

I got an email from Brittany Harmon Sr. Recruiter, CN HR Division. I know this is a phishing expedition because I have NEVER worked in the hospitatly industry and this email looks so generic that I didn't even click the link. I did a google search and found more than one article like this.

Career Network, Inc
    P.O. Box 618305
    Orlando Florida, 32861

Your background in the hospitality field recently came to my attention, and I believe you might be a solid match for a position with one of our clients. Some information about the opportunity is listed below.

Front Desk Representative

Above Average Salary with growth incentives

Candidates should be self starters with a desire to grow within their field. We hope that you are still seeking fulltime employment. To see a full description of this job and to submit your application, please click on the link below. You may also copy and paste the link into your browser to access the application Web page. This page contains information about what compensation packages are included and what is required of the opening.

http://findcareer-spice.com/[email protected]&id=skbvcft5_lil_RestaurantHospitalityRetail_11162008_fr&rd=43775&j=17956291

Once your application has been received and processed, one of our HR representatives will contact you to review your information and set an appointment for an interview. Please allow up to three business days to be contacted.

Sincerely,
    Brittany Harmon
    Sr. Recruiter, CN HR Division

Nov 25, 2008

I found the link below on the Federal Trade Commission website. It provides details about a job fraud case involving Career Network, Inc.

According to the FTC, Career Network is banned from providing or selling employment services. If you receive an email from this company, go to the www.ftc.gov and find a link to report the fraud and forward or paste the email you received to them.

Nov 25, 2008

I responded to an ad at Moment Employment that I found through Craigs List. It even had a 15 minute quiz for me to take with some fairly challenging grammar and math questions. When I finished the quiz, I clicked on the terms and conditions and found the name "Career Network." I am so sick of these scammers! So add Moment Employment to the list of aliases.

• Te
      Dec 01, 2008

This is the posting (see below)they are using on craigslist.org! I already flagged it, but they just keep posting under a new job id's different days! PLEASE add THE SKY SHOUT AGENCY to this list as they are also part of this scam!!!

*** USPS - CARRIERS / CLERKS / PROCESSING ***

Reply to: job-[protected]@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2008-12-01, 2:30PM PST

USPS Postal Careers

Every day you have some sort of interaction with the postal service, but did you know that they are hiring? The USPS is an independent agency of the United States government and employs more than 800, 000 people nationwide!

In today’s rough economic situation, this is a great time to find a new career or change jobs to one that pays better, offers you costly benefits, and provides job stability. Working for USPS is not just a job, but a career and many people will stay there until they retire.

The benefits are unrivaled by most private employers and include:
    • Job Security
    • Paid Training
    • Paid Vacation Time and Holidays
    • Full Medical Insurance (Health & Dental)
    • Retirement Pension Plan
    • Room for advancement
    • Education allowance for college classes
    • Great Work Environment
    • Thrift Savings Plan with Investment Opportunities
    • +++ Much more!

Get started today by emailing your resume and calling [protected] Ext 697 and speak with one of our employment specialists.

Positions: Some of the many available positions available are: customer service, sales, mail processing, mail handling, flat sorting machine operators, distribution clerks, mark-up clerks, mail carrier, rural carrier, city carrier, sales and service clerks. You will be required to take the mandatory postal battery exam for hiring placement.

Pay scale goes up to $60, 000/year + Benefits

These positions are in extremely high demand and competition is quite fierce and the positions will fill quickly. Email your resume and call today to speak with an employment specialist and to pre-qualify: [protected] Ext 697

Compensation: $14.00 - $45.00/hour + Benefits
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Phone calls about this job are ok.
    Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
    PostingID: [protected]

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

Dec 01, 2008

Too good to be true ? The construction industry is dead, and here we have - will train for $18 hour, bonus, all possible benefits, even tuition reimbursement from family-owned local general contractor specializing in single-family residence homebuilding and remodeling - HA-HA-HA
    On Dec.1 2008 TimesUnion.com:

Salary Starting at $18 per hour
    Experience 0-1 Years Experience
    Desired Education Level High School

General Construction Laborer

Local family-owned general contractor, specializing in single-family residence homebuilding and remodeling is accepting applications for a laborer.

We are seeking an individual who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Candidates must be physically capable of lifting 20-40 pounds, be able to work approximately 40 hours per week - M-F, and able to work in varying outdoor conditions.

Duties include, but are not limited to, house construction, pick ups and deliveries, demolition, clean up, and digging. You will also have the opportunity to learn the construction trade and possibly advance up through the company.

We offer a starting base of $18/hourly plus annual bonus of $1, 200.00. We offer full benefits including paid sick days, medical, dental, vision, 401K, and paid time off. We are also a company that supports continuing education and will help you to attain your education goals through our Tuition Reimbursement program.

Please apply below for immediate consideration.

• Bo
      Dec 03, 2008

The add in my search was for $20.00/hr warehouse help. You would be lucky to start a warehouse job in this city for $10.00!

Scam or not, it doesn't look reliable.

• Ju
      Dec 03, 2008

Who would think that people would actually be this cruel during these hard times. I received several replys to job applications, also asking for more information, asking for email addresses of my references, which I thought was strange because they are personal but I got approval to use them, the other problem I had was entering the telephone numbers, for many of the application I was unable to complete because the numbers was actually rejected, said to be invalid, I knew that not to be true, so I couldn't submit the applications.

One of my references believed that I had called her and I received a call from Career network, Inc but when I tried to call back, no answer.

• Ba

Darn it! I've been had!

So desperate for a job I let my defenses down. I knew something was fishy when they asked for cell phone provider, but went ahead anyway. Thanks for all the info, I am reporting them right away. At least I will know better when follow up e-mails ask for more info.

It is so lousy to be taking advantage of people with the unemployment situation what it is right now. I hope Karma gets them hard!

• Ra
      Dec 04, 2008

I've been wondering about these sites and only just had the good sense to do a google search. I'm not all that worried about my own well being, as I have nothing to steal! It is very aggravating, though, when you're looking for work and 90 percent of what your come across is stuff like this.

Who would think there would be anything to gain from scamming people who don't have jobs? Don't they know we have no money? If I did give out my SSN to anyone, they're in for a surprise because they'll be denied even the most miniscule credit, just like ME!

Maybe they'll get one of those secured credit cards and help me out a little.

Here's an idea; they could give US a job of sitting on these sites and finding these guys to get rid of their ads.

• Mr
      Dec 08, 2008

I can't vouch for the company and say that all of their job postings are legit, however I did just get a job through them. The company names are never mentioned so that said companies won't get bombarded with applicants that aren't qualified for the job. It did take a little longer then I would have prefered (about 3 weeks), but thats my only complaint. Hope this helps!

Jan 25, 2009

Some more on SkyShout - I was dumb enough to fall for their tricks on Criagslist also. They also initially sent me an email about needing Quickbooks, with a link to a website providing services for a low fee. They just sent me a second email about making money with Google. Here's what the email said:

Still no word from the client regarding the position, we are working
    on it though. I can't even begin to tell you how difficult the
    employment situation is. We have never seen a job environment this
    difficult before. Have you ever considered working for yourself? It's
    really not that bad of a deal and we are seeing many qualified
    candidates taking this route because they can't find employment
    anywhere else. I want to share one of the best opportunities around
    that is based off the Internet giant Google. It may not be for you,
    but you should defiantly consider them as a viable option, it may
    change your life!

The Google Alternative
    Tens of thousands of people are making hundreds of dollars a day each
    with google. Sell no products receive Google checks or direct deposits
    monthly. Google happens to be one of the few companies that is still
    growing in this economic depression. Get started before the current
    wave of job seekers learn that earning money from Google pays better
    than most jobs they have been applying for!

With new jobs in scarce supply, you really should consider
    alternatives to sending your resume in to company after company as
    competition is only projected to get worse while available jobs get
    harder to find. Google is one of the easiest and most successful ways
    you can work for yourself.

Shannon White
    Sr. Recruiter

I don't trust these people any more than I can throw them. There's one more that just came to my attention, although it may just be my paranoia setting in. I applied to two different positions (also found on Craigslist - one as a warehouse worker, the other as a receptionist) and received two emails from Real Time Staffing firm, with a link to an outside application process, prompting me to supply them with the name of my cell phone carrier and offering links to schools for online education. The one name was Tiffany Crouch, and the second Candice Crouch. I really doubt this is legitimate but I figured I'd put it out there as a head's up for the rest of you.

Good luck everyone, and be careful.

Jan 26, 2009

I recently have contacted many people from craigslist and all I keep getting is the run around. This is the most recent email I have received:

A recent review of our records indicated that you have applied for the Receptionist position with Career Elect . After reviewing your application we have determined that you meet our initial employment requirements.

Please visit our website at the following address if you are still interested in being considered for this position: http://mycareerelect.com/careers2.aspx?email=(myemail)&id=careerelect2nds01262009&jb=[protected]

On the front page of the application you will find a login prompt. Please login using the following:

Username: email
    Password: last name

When you login you will be asked to verify some information and some additional information from you to help in the final hiring decision. Once you complete this process your application will be forwarded for final review and you will be contacted directly.

Sincerely,
    Larry Minnetti Human Resources

Career Network, Inc.
    P.O. Box 618305
    Orlando, Florida [protected]

------------------------------------------------------------

this is absolutely ridiculous, and it needs to stop. I need a job :(

• Ev
      Jan 26, 2009

also, i noticed, they used the last six digits of the zip code for the po box address.681035.looked it up on google maps, and you are directed to the middle of a very busy intersection.how intelligent are they?

• Mi
      Jan 29, 2009

What if your references do not have e-mail addresses, and the applications will not go through without them?

Feb 02, 2009

ImpeccableCareers.com is also owned by them.

If you really want to poke at these ### then this info may come in handy...

OrgName: NTT America, Inc.
    OrgID: NTTAM-1

NameServer: AUTH22.NS.GIN.NTT.NET
    NameServer: AUTH23.NS.GIN.NTT.NET
    NameServer: AUTH24.NS.GIN.NTT.NET
    NameServer: AUTH25.NS.GIN.NTT.NET
    Comment:
    Comment: Reassignment information for this block is
    Comment: available at rwhois.gin.ntt.net port 4321
    RegDate: 1988-07-11

OrgTechName: VIPAR
    OrgTechPhone: +[protected]
    OrgTechEmail: [protected]@us.ntt.net

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated [protected]:10
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Feb 05, 2009

I got the identical letter that Andy got, same address, same person. The website link was not the same but stated workcareersystemsnow.com. What is this company doing with all the websites and personal information? How did they know if we applied for these jobs?

• Cc
      Feb 09, 2009

So, SO glad I found this site!!! This is the email I received this morning. A secretary for $25/ hr...yeah right!!! If it sounds too good to be true...

Hi C,

Our company is currently seeking a motivated Secretary to join our team as soon as possible. Secretary will be responsible for office duties such as answering phones, sending and receiving all faxes, sending and receiving all mail, and ordering office supplies. This position offers $25/hour plus benefits, which we can discuss at the time you decide to interview.

C, to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am hoping to hear back from you today, if at all possible. By clicking the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an interested applicant.

I would like to learn more about the Secretary opening.

I hope to hear back from you later today!

Good Luck,

Office Manager

Career Network, Inc., P.O. Box 618305, Orlando, FL [protected]

• Cm
      Feb 09, 2009

Has anyone had anything bad happen? Other than losing hope that you will ever find a job?!?! I called my cell phone provider, because I got a little nervous after I figured out it was a scam. And then I got a random call from an area code in NYC which there was no one there and then I hung up. They recommended adding my cell number to the do not call registry and keep track of my account online for a few months. I also did report it to the FTC.

• Le
      Feb 10, 2009

Yes ... frustrating and annoying!
    This has wasted my time and totally left a bad taste for Craigslist!
    I will NEVER apply or respond to any type of job advertisement via their website again.

And the big question is ... "What are these idiots doing with the info on my resume and my references"? Decent people are desperately looking for employment and the snakes, vipers and goons are on the loose looking for prey!

I will only apply for positions via Monster.com or other legitimate placement services. I'm also a bit wary of another job search website ... www.beyond.com

Anyone had any strange occurences with this service or been hired after posting with them?

• Cc
      Feb 10, 2009

Well after browsing on yahoo for jobs here are a couple more aliases. Copied and pasted directly from the web sites...

About Extend Your Careers
    Extend Your Careers is a part of the Career Network (CN)

About Mandarin Employment
    Mandarin Employment is a part of the Career Network (CN).

• Ya
      Feb 10, 2009

Wow...same thing here. I registered with CareerBuilder, Monster, ect. One day I get an email like this:

I am seeking a Cash Application Representative to start as soon as possible. This position requires data entry skills, some cash handling experience, intermediate computer skills, and Microsoft Office knowledge. This position offers competitive pay plus benefits, which we can discuss at the time you decide to interview.

To avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few people. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am looking forward to hearing from you today, if at all possible. By clicking the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an available candidate.

C. Benn

HR Specialist

Once you click on the link it takes you to impeccablecareers.com. That's where they want your personal info. including your cell number and carrier. I even uploaded my resume (not a good thing). Once you fill out all that, they ask for at least 3 references. Personal and/or professional. You have to include their phone numbers and email address, otherwise, you will not be able to continue. That's where I stopped.

Can they be reported for this? If so, what agency?

• Fr
      Feb 12, 2009

I knew it was too good to be true! The clickable link they provided took me to a "Careers Pathway" screen that asked for all my personal info; that's when the alarm bell in my head went off and I started researching. This link provides more info:

/URL removed/#324260

However, their last complaint was from December 4th. 2008, with no further response from Career Networks. At least the complaints and concerns here are up to date.

This is what I received this morning:

Shipping and Receiving Clerk opening - $15 per hour Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:14 AM
    From: "Careers Pathway - Shipping and Receiving Clerk" <[protected]@careerspathway.com>Add sender to Contacts To: [protected]@yahoo.com

Dear xxxxxxx,

Our company is currently seeking a hard working Shipping and Receiving to join our team, and, after looking at your resume I would like to speak with you about this opportunity. Based on your qualifications I feel that you would be a teriffic candidate for this opening.

The ideal candidate will be career minded and have a "can do" attitude! Candidate will work a Monday through Friday, 7am to 4pm schedule. The Shipping and Receiving position provides competitive pay beginning at $15/hour plus outstanding benefits to match!

Richard, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals as I would like this position to be filled soon. Please visit our website through the link below to complete an online application and to view a more detailed description of this position regarding requirements, benefits, and more!

http://careers-pathway.com/[email protected]&id=gxcdx7_FKF51big_TransportationandWarehousesbig01152009_1ser1_2&rd=100157&gs=11&ro=21&j=14927943

I am beginning the interview process shortly so I look forward to speaking with you today and hopefully working more closely with you!

Best Wishes,

C. Benn
    Hiring Manager

I-wish_to be taken_off your_mailing list.

Career Network, Inc., P.O. Box

Feb 20, 2009

The company behind all this is Three Stars
    6996 Piazza Grande Ave
    Suite 305
    Orlando, FL 32835

I had an interview with them ANd knew something was fishy

Feb 20, 2009

THe caompany behind all this is Three Stars
    6996 Piazza Grande Ave
    Suite 305
    Orlando, FL 32835

I knew there was something wrong when I spoke to them

• Wg
      Feb 23, 2009

I just got this today.
    First thing that got my attention was "Secretary." I am NOT a secretary.
    Then I saw the "name" of the firm: Exemplory Careers. An obvious misspelling. I checked the dictionary. Sure enough, it is "exemplary." They need a secretary alright! One who can spell.
    Then I Googled the firm. None found with that name.
    The Googled "Career Network, Inc." and came up with a list of complaints and fraud reports. I knew it smelled phishy. Now I KNOW it IS phishy!
    Has this been turned into the FTC? The Labor Dept.? The Justice Dept.? The Postal Inspector? This is illegal. And in this economy, they are seeking to defraud those who are looking for work.

**************
    Hi Wesley,

I am currently seeking a motivated Secretary to join our team as soon as possible. Secretary will be responsible for office duties such as answering phones, sending and receiving all faxes, sending and receiving all mail, and ordering office supplies. We offer $25/hour plus great benefits, which we will discuss during your interview.

Wesley, to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a select number of qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am eager to hear back from you today, if at all possible. By selecting the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an interested applicant.

I am interested in applying for the Secretary position.

HR Director

If you cannot access the webpage through the hyperlink above, you can copy and paste the link at the bottom of this email into your browser.

http://goexemplorycareers.com/[email protected]&id=Aaawoi6_lil51_AdministrativeClerical_0232009_mon&rd=88262&gs=4&ro=6&j=20658295

Take_my_name out of future_employment_considerations.

Career Network, Inc., P.O. Box 618305, Orlando, FL [protected]

Feb 25, 2009

I've signed up with the standard employment websites, including a couple I haven't heard of before. I think it's just a way to put you in touch with people who will feed off your desperation and try to sell you on-line colleges or resume services or something. Here's what I got today:

Original email:

From: Exemplory Careers [mailto:[protected]@exemplorycareers.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:42 AM
    To: me.com
    Subject: Great company needs Clerical Assistant

Hi me,

Our company is looking to hire a Clerical Assistant. We are willing to train a motivated individual to support one of our managers. We offer $15.00-$20.00/hour plus great benefits, which we will discuss during your interview.

Me, to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am eager to hear back from you today, if at all possible. By clicking the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an interested candidate.

I would like to apply for the Clerical Assistant position.

Executive Assistant

If you cannot access the webpage through the link above, you can copy and paste the link at the bottom of this email into your browser.

Take_my_name out of future_employment_considerations.

Career-Network, Inc.-- P.O. Box 618305-- Orlando, FL [protected]

I Googled them as a matter of research, and found these complaint sites, so I'm going to add to them. I also decided to see if they would write me back if I emailed them with a response to their original email. Oh, BTW, it appears C. Garner had a demotion because he/she is no longer a HR manager, but an Executive Asst instead. Too bad!

My reply:

Dear C. Garner:

Thank you for the inquiry. I would need some more information on the position, however, before committing to giving you a great deal of my personal information. Could you please:

• Tell me the location (state and town, please) of this job.
    • The nature of the business.
    • Is selling anything part of the job description?
    • The qualifications the your company is looking for in a Clerical Assistant.

I do evaluate each and every opportunity given, and I do not want to waste my time nor yours and send in unnecessary applications when I am not interested in or I am unqualified/overqualified for the position.

I am sure you can appreciate my position, and I hope to hear from you soon with regard to the above questions.

Yours truly,

Me

• Ro
      Mar 02, 2009

I also received a job offer from "Career Solution Map" which is a part of Career Network, Inc. I gave them all information which I filled out on the form they provided. It says they are seeking for an Interior Design Assistant which will have $18.00/hr pay. And the Human Resource Specialist name is J. Howard. If this is a fraud I hope the government will have to step in to curb these illegal acts.

• Mu
      Mar 03, 2009

Yes, I think it is trying to see if you are looking to further your education. On the first page of the "application" it asks a few questions regarding this. If you are applying for a job that you are qualified for already, why do they want to know if you want to go back to school? Somebody is taking the time to read through something because I have gotten a few of these and they are tailored to some of my interests. This is what I got today. I am very much into vitamins, and holistic ideas...

Hello,

I am looking for a Nutrition Clerk to assist customers with vitamin supplements and other nutritional needs. Knowledge of vitamins, herbs, homeopathic remedies and other related products is preferred, but we would be willing to train an individual who has a strong passion for the nutritional field. We offer $16.26/hour plus great benefits, which we will discuss during your interview.

To avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am looking forward to hearing from you today, if at all possible. By selecting the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an available candidate.

I am interested in applying for the Nutrition Clerk position.

I hope to have your application later today!

L. Barclay

HR Coordinator

Darn, I really wish they were legit because I need a job and am willing to take $16 at this point LOL

• Ss
      Mar 03, 2009

I answered an office admin job at craigslist.com and started getting emails from Sky Shout almost immediately. Before that though, just after inputting data, a screen came up which suggested I sign up for several other 'Sky Shout' listing employment sites. I clicked it off, suspecting the worse. The last email suggested I apply at 'Google Cash' to make extra money . . .This is obviously not from a REAL employment agency! That's when I started checking for warnings on Sky Shout and found many.

Mar 03, 2009

Following up on my prior post, I did not get a return email to my email. However I did get a another email from L. Barclay, HR Director, Career Network, Inc. telling me about another fictional job! Isn't that great!

These companies remind me of a "temp" agency that I went to in the early '80s [before the internet was invented ;-)] for a great job they advertised. All they wanted to do is sell me courses, not send me to an interview, and further, if I was on unemployment, I was told it "probably" would not have cost a thing!

These scams have been going on for a long time, but now they can just farm websites like Craigslist and Careerbuilder to find their victims.

Mar 06, 2009

Same deal here. Same letter with part of the body including "...to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am hoping to hear back from you today, if at all possible."

We hadn't even finished with the 'Continue' buttons before receiving a call from the Univ. of Phoenix. "We're not interested" was our response and hung up.

Then I did a google search for emplorarycareers.com reviews and found this site, this very helpful site (and there are many others). Thank you so much to you smart ones out there who know how to use whois and take action. Thank you!!!

After realizing that, yep, our vibes that it's a scam were correct, I called back the number who called us (the University of Phoenix) and asked to speak to someone in charge.

I told the supervisor the search parameter I used, (exemplorycareers.com reviews) and that I used google, and asked her to read what she finds. I told her that they were being called a fraud and that they were being hunted down and would soon be found out, that many different false 'job opportunities' were leading right to them instead of an actual job.

I talked to her about the power of word of mouth advertising, positive and negative, and how the internet now allows that word of mouth advertising to go global in minutes.

She seemed genuinely concerned about what's going on (for real, she did) and said she was going to contact her marketing director as soon as she hung with me. I believe she will. She cares, it seems. Maybe HER bosses don't and that's what we want to find out, right?

Univ. of Phoenix has spent gazillions of dollars on advertising. What's the first name that comes to mind when you think 'coorespondence education?' The University of Phoenix!

I told her the schools reputation was being tanked and quickly and how difficult it is to come out from under such a thing and to prey on people in this economic crisis who are so desperate for a job will really fuel the wrath and tanked reputation.

So, we'll see if they do anything about it. If they do, I hope it's as big, loud and expensive as their advertising budget has been because that's what it'll take once the damage is done...and I think that damage has already been done, personally. I hope to soon see public announcements and apologies and names of who was responsible.

If we don't see such things, Univ. of Phoenix might as well close the doors right now and go home.

We are FED UP with corruption, aren't we? We're way too smart now and with the internet, good luck with getting away with that kind of crap for long.

So for all of you who have been called, call back and speak to the supervisor. Give her or him the urls that you've found the 'fraud' being discussed. Give them a chance to take it up the chain of command to find where the buck stops.

Good employees (like the supervisor I talked to who I believe is a good employee possibly, sounded that way to me) won't want to remain with such a company, knowing it's only a matter of time before they'll be out of work, and will start looking elsewhere and Univ. of Phoenix will be out of commission..and rightly so if this is how they go about recruiting students!

One smuck CEO or whatever, who thinks the money he'll make from selling personal information or thinks that the 3 actual enrollments they'll get from this approach will be worth it, may just find himself regretting he ever had such a terrible idea.

ALL of the Univ. of Phoenix will be thought responsible by us and that may not be the case. Let's help them help themselves if it's just one smuck. The smuck can be canned, apologies made (and more) and maybe they can save their reputation, if it's worth saving that is.

We'll know if it is ALL of the Univ. of Phoenix or just a smuck or two or three. We'll know because...we get around, don't we? :)

(((Everyone)))
    Power to the People!
    I will be rereading this thread and taking action, more action than I have already.

P.S. Call them back. Tell them your search parameters and the engine you used. Let them see what's happening, what's being said. Let them take it to their bosses and let their bosses take it to their bosses and...let the chips fall where they may. Wouldn't you want such calls if it was your company? I sure would!

Mar 07, 2009

I'm sorry about the double posting! Wish I could delete one of them. In rereading all the posts here, carefully and fully this time, I haven't noticed the Univ. of Phoenix mentioned except in my post and yet...

Our 'get frauded here' experience began at www.exemplorycareers.com (mentioned here in other posts)

And the body of the email we got contained '...to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am hoping to hear back from you today, if at all possible.' (mentioned here in other posts)

In a post here by Joe Vontz he mentioned, "wanting is for you to pick a University online" and in a post here by Murphy, he mentions, "Yes, I think it is trying to see if you are looking to further your education."

Who would be hiring all these scam sites to collect information from us? If they're pointing towards higher/more education, wouldn't that mean that the University of Phoenix could be the, or at least one, of the initiators of all of this??

These websites must be getting paid to collect this information, right? By who? Univ of Phoenix?

I'm finding it odd that that school hasn't been mentioned yet by others here yet. It's the Univ. of Phoenix who called my boyfriend's cell before he'd fully finished the application - but after giving his name and cell number.

They didn't identify themselves, he had to ask, in the middle of their spiel. I was listening w/ear to phone because he doesn't get many calls, hardly any, he kept thinking outloud - this is a scam - and - now they want references - and the timing seemed more than a coincidence.

When I called back the number about 10 minutes later, after searching google and finding this site and wanting to feel them out, they answered "Univerity of Phoenix."

When I asked to speak to someone in charge the woman tried to get me to confirm if there was an at this number. I wouldn't confirm and was transferred to the supervisor.

His name *does not* come up on caller id. I just called his cell from mine to be certain but already knew that it doesn't and neither does mine. When he calls someone, just his number shows.

Univ. of Phoenix could have *only* known his name by being *the* company that exemplorycareers.com passed his information onto, right?

The supervisor had the phone number and had to have had a list matching his number to his name in front of her. Because I wouldn't answer any questions from the one that answered, that person would have most likely brought her that list.

I did ask that his number be removed from that list of course and she said she would.

Only a couple of others have mentioned continued education but didn't say by which school, if they were called by a school or if they called back, if they were called, to see who answered.

When I first got to this site today, I saw www.exemplorycareers.com mentioned and I saw the body of the email, exactly the same that we received, mentioned and because Univ. of Phoenix is who called us, I assumed they were the ones responsible for all the mess. Perhaps not all, but it seems they've gotten caught pulling a fast one with us so will be watching and looking for more validation on this.

It could easily be more than one school, especially with Obama's stimulus bill giving so much towards education and making student loans easier to get. Maybe they think they've got an 'in' but like it doesn't matter their approach!

I know of whois but don't know how to use nor decipher the information. Can anyone else find out if the Univ. of Phoenix is behind some of this somehow? I'll keep looking online and will come back and share what I find.

Mar 08, 2009

I'm a victim of these scams from CRAIG'S LIST/THE SKYSHOUT AGENCY too. My concerns are the same as JESSICA DAVIS from 128 days ago. I'm afraid these people will use our personal information for worst things then what they already have. If anyone knows how to protect ourselves please post it here.
    Thank you.

• Sh
      Mar 09, 2009

Add www.hourglasscareers.com to the long list of websites this company uses.

According to the FL Department of Corporations, Career Network, Inc is incorporated in Delaware (which won't give out corporate information), though their attorney can be contacted at the information below.

KRESS, KEITH E
    2295 S HIAWASSEE ROAD #407
    ORLANDO FL 32835

A company contact is:

ROMERO, KELLY W
    6996 PIAZZA GRANDE AVE SUITE 315
    ORLANDO FL 32835

According to the articles of incorporation, Career Network, Inc was started as a "Marketing and Advertising" firm. I think we can all agree this is completely true.

I looked on Yahoo's HotJobs for administrative assistant openings in the DC metro area. I will never again apply to any position where the company is kept confidential. I inputted my name, address, phone number, and email, but thankfully was not yet prompted to upload my resume. The first time they got me, I applied to an HR Assistant position and became suspicious when I had to wade through a bunch of education-furthering opportunities before I could even submit my resume for a job that may or may not exist. I have a Masters degree, so I declined, but the website did not like that answer and kept prompting me to accept more info.

Later, for another position, I wasted 15 minutes taking a stupid "quiz" with English and Math problems, "designed to evaluate my abilities to come up with innovative solutions to everyday problems". I figured it was like the essay questions that the government asks you for, to weed out applicants who can't be bothered to spend a little more time on an opportunity, since the job was offering a bit more per hour than the average opening. It wasn't SO much money to raise a red flag, they're obviously smart in that respect.

I received an email this morning requesting I check in to let them know I was still interested in the position. I replied that they should immediately remove my name, email, and all other information gleaned from my application from their database. Fat chance. I'm waiting for the spamming to begin.