Career Network / Education ConnectionFalse/Inappropriate Business Practices

R Review updated:

They called me about a job, career network, after I applied for a job through my email. It appears that they are trying to get you to enroll into an online university. [protected] they tell you to call this number, Education Connectio n. They told me that I need to call the 321 number to get a degree, I told them that I have 2 bachelors(business & education), 2 masters(business & education), and a Ed.D. and a PHD in psychology, they still said I need a degree in order to get hired. This is a scam... the 646 # is in new york and the 321 # is in Sanford, FL.

Jun 19, 2009

Filed complaint with federal trade commission reference # [protected] I strongly recommend everyone who has dealt with them to file a complaint

• S
      Jun 29, 2009

i just graduated middle school and am only going into high school and am trying to enjoy my summer but this 'education connect' or whatever calls every week even though i ask them nicely to take me off the calling list. its really getting on my nerves!

• A
      Jun 30, 2009

look, never put ur real number for this stuff. i put my name as ### mcgee and my phone number as some random number. its funny because the college they reccomended was univ of pheonix, aka the number one advertising school pays the site to recommend them. i already go to a university, but i just wanted to prove to myself this is ###.

THIS WEBSITE IS ###, GO TO A COMMUNITY COLLEGE.

• E
      Aug 24, 2009

I just recieved a call from then from an iowa number. it was an aribic man telling me he was calling me for a follow up (which i never requested in the first place, not sure how they got my number). and when i told him this he said, '### you'. i thought i mis-heard him and he said it again. he said, '### you ###'. and when i asked to speak to the manager i asked him if he lets his employees talk this way and he said its because i was acting like a ###ing ###. i'm completely and uterly disguisted. I dont know if this is some kind of sick joke but its definantly not funny to me at all. the number was [protected] and when i tried to call it back i was told the number was disconected. very frusterating.

• S
      Dec 30, 2009

this is an complete scam company operated by a indians.. Most likely they are calling directly from india and are not even in US.

Jan 25, 2010

Oh wow I was going to use that site... That's for the info, I'll cross that of my list! :)

Jan 27, 2010

I don't know if this Ed Connect thing is a scam,
    but speaking of higher learning; every frickin' comment I've read so far appears to have been written by illiterates! And this is coming from someone who has FAILED every English course thrown at him. He made them ALL up eventually. Would it hurt anybody to use a spell checker once in a while?

Mar 08, 2010

Im not suprised. I mean how did you think they got paid in the first place?

Anything involving going to college involves YOU paying money.
    It should be pretty obvious to people nothing is free by now.

This system of checks and balances makes sure people in poverty stay that way. For someone to make it big these days it either takes a Grant, Self Determination, or you parents bank account. The first two can be pretty hard by yourself.

Contrary to this, there are FREE assistance programs in most major cities. This is why its not good to sit on your ### all day, wtch commercials, and believe everything you see. The real world is not so easy and takes effort. Not something as little as a phone call, thats way to easy...

Mar 08, 2010

Lol the guy who started this used it to look for a job and supposedbly has all these degrees. Nobody with such credentials should ever go through such a obscure service. This is for people who have hope, money, and No Degree! Why would they wanna give you a free job? If you are who you say you are [rmerel1] then your our out of your mind. LMFAO. You say you have a Two Bachelors, Two Masters, A Phd in psychology, and a Edd. If this is true, then you should be alot smarter than going on a Complaint Board and writing about how you couldnt get a job from somewhere THAT REQUIRES YOU EDUCATED THROUGH A SCHOOL THEY REFER YOU TO. I defintiley would hate for someone like you to be my Psychologist or Teacher, Im saying this because Im in high school and am currently getting public assistance to go to college. Like [Lotech] said, I believe most people who on this subject are illiterate even though I dont use spellcheck either, because if you know how to spell and are literate then a mispelled word should be a result of a typo.You can usually tell the diffrence, but Im not here to put anyone down. Im just trying to get the truth out there.

My Advice, Goto your High School Counselor before exiting and have them help you. If your sincere they usually 100% of the time will. Its their job. If you did graduate already, go back to the school in which you went to, as a visitor ofcourse, and ask a councelor, (Preferbly your former one) how to take the next step. Its always the hardest to make but its the most crucial.

• A
      Apr 28, 2010

I worked for Education Connection in Boca raton Florida, (google it) and you will get the REAL tel # and location and it is owned by Kaplan University which is owned by the Washington. BUT that doesn't make it a good company, actually when I worked there they only had one college to forward students to and guess what-that was Kaplan.
    After a few months they got a few other colleges on board and we would be able to transfer to those colleges as well as Kaplan.
    They are currently working out of the Kaplan University building in Ft. Lauderdale or from home...but my advise is go to your local college. If online is you last resort Kaplan is that but they all online college's charge so much more than your local college I am not sure it worth it.

Jul 12, 2010

I'm new to all this and need your advice/ help. Do I actually need a degree to work in film. Does the mentor program work? Do studios recognize mentor programs such as film connections? I'm seriously thinking of going down the FC route but need your input.
    Thanks.
    James

Jul 14, 2010

Shut your stupid mouths. Such stupid people in this world.

Jul 14, 2010

If you decide to go to a proprietary education college a.k.a 'online college' you are an idiot and deserve to get charged ridiculous prices for substandard education. What were you thinking when you attended your first day of class on the third floor of an office building? You did not find it peculiar that despite your track record of pathetic failure that they were pressuring you to attend their school and to attend it NOW!!! I know they saw something 'special' in you, call it potential, the potential to have virgin credit and poor parents so you can get raped out of 50, o00 in student loan money that you may qualify for. If not, they've got a payment plan for if your parents aren't poor and despite their wealth you still suck at life...good job buddy. If a school is offering you an associates degree that is more expensive than a bachelors and citing the reason as 'its more effective due to our industry connections and job placement services' they are selling you [censor], leave now [censor]. If you were a [censor]tard in high school and got bad grades (How is that [censor] even possible in the US, if you can breathe here you can get a 4.0) and are currently looking for a fast and convenient solution to the stupid decisions you made, well there isnt one [censor]. Start flipping burgers and learning how to read at Community College. If you actually use your [censor]ing brain you will be well on your way to mediocrity and a public school bachelors...congrats buddy you just moved from crack whore to xerox machine sales rep. All colleges are scams, except a bachelors from a real school will keep you from giving HJs for crack, instead you'll be giving mindjobs for toner cartridge commissions, while your wife gets [censor]ed by Randy the office manager at the Route 78 Motel 6. Welcome to life kid...just know slinging that toner cartridge is a way better than getting butt fisted for crack behind Dennys.

Jul 23, 2010

Many people have been flaming Education connection using the Better Business Bureau as a reference point. Well maybe these folks should read the latest article in the Washington Post (among numerous others) that have announced that BBB were caught giving Middle east terror group HAMAS an A- rating, for their work "educating the youth" Seems ironic somehow that an AMERICAN organization can quite happily give honest companies (and this includes Prada, Porsche California and Starbucks an F rating) And can give a NON AMERICAN organization that sends kids out with Semtex strapped to their chest into busy marketplaces an A-. Maybe these people should read these articles before attacking connections or those who have either completed or are enrolled in one of their programs. Thank you for your time.

• B
      Jul 25, 2010

I am a new member. I have read in this forum that some of you suspect that new members are spam. I am not spam. Please remember, your posts show up in the search engines so even thought the forum is “private” the posts are public. So when I saw that you were talking about Recording Connection, I had to join and post as the Recording Connection is a subject that I know a lot about. I should, I went to the school. Let me tell you about my experience.
    First off this place is far from a scam. They get you inside a real recording studio and oversee that you are trained one on one inside a real studio. No money at all is asked for up front. You pay only after you are accepted.
    Many say why pay for an Internship? And that is what I originally thought, but the reality is, this is not an Internship, it is an apprenticeship. You are learning from a professional in a real studio from a course curriculum. My Recording Connection mentor is Warren Huart. Look him up. Warren is the Producer of Korn, Better than Ezra, and just about every alternative band at Sony Music. He is also a composer for Grey’s Anatomy, Scrubs, etc.

Look I’m in my 30s and so I’ve been around the block, as I’m sure many of you have. I love the Internet, blogging, and posting in forums, but let’s be real people, NEGATIVE comments in forums and on blogs will always be in the majority because most people don’t post positive things when they are happy. We humans are just not wired that way unfortunately. If there are 5-20 negative comments in this or other forums, Praedo’s Law says there are probably 500 people who loved this school. I am one of them. Is the Recording Connection perfect? No. But it got me in a real studio and I learned under a man (Warren) who is real life music producer. Warren would not have trained me if I knocked on his door cold and asked him for an Internship.

Also, here are some other guys that endorse The Recording Connection and also teach for them in their studios:

TIM PALMER – Produced for U2, Pearl Jam, The Cure, David Bowie
    CHRIS SHELDON – Engineered and Produced Liz Phair
    JOHN ALTMAN – James Bond Film Composer
    BRIAN BLACKWELL – Sony Music Executive for 30 years.
    BRIAN LEVI – Engineered for Dwight Yokam
    PRESTON BOEBEL – Engineered for Hoobestank, Whitesnake, Clint Mansell

This place is not a scam. If anyone wants to talk to me live about it, post and we can arrange a chat.But please let's keep it polite.

Best Wishes,
    Brian Hulnick (Recording Connection Graduate)

Jul 26, 2010

This message is for RAMBONER. Okay so some people might have done poorly in college but that doesn't mean they "[censor]ed off". I door poor in school no matter if I tried or not. I later came to find out that I am mentally ill. Im unable to work. I'd like to go back to school but can't handle being away from home for too long. So you tell me, what should I do?

Jul 26, 2010

I did poor not door poor. My mistake.

Jul 27, 2010

Brian, it would seem that you are thoroughly enjoying your time with recording connection. I am similarly happy with my course but unfortunately it would appear people do not want to hear that. People only want to hear so-called horror stories. I think that to many years of Bush have jaded us somewhat. It's a shame because it is always nice to share ones good experiences, what ever they may be. But post your good experiences with Film/Recording/Broadcast Connection and you run the gauntlet of the mob.

• B
      Jul 29, 2010

Thats too bad, I only want to let people here know that I have been totally OK with my RC course and that everything is going as I had hoped. I don't want to get into a flaming war just for posting about what has happened to me. Thanks.
    Brian

Aug 02, 2010

Have you decided where you would like to work? I'm looking more to the East Coast as the Dance scene is stronger there plus it's easier and quicker to fly to UK/ Europe from there.

Aug 03, 2010

I found this late last night whilst I was doing some browsing. A very interesting read.

Aug 08, 2010

For those who have not clicked on the link, here is the entire article. Please read
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recording Connection Scam - The Real Deal

Written by recordingtruths on Jul-28-10 10:49pm

The word what "fraud" can be used across the world along with the advent and popularity of the internet, you can find this term related to almost every individual and company that prevails and the newest focus on may be the Recording Connection scam.

Unfortunately, you can find those who become linked to the phrase "scam" and they are not liable of any wrongdoings. Obviously, as with any business which you serve thousands upon thousands of people, there will probably be mistakes, glitches and slip-ups. However, calling a company a scam is a major misrepresentation regarding what the firm turns out to be and what it really does for numerous.

Through classification, useless is a fraudulent business scheme; a con; a hustle, flim flam, plan and a bamboozle. It means that the company, in this case the Recording Connection scam, is in the business to victimize people and also deceive as well as fool them out of funds. If a business is useless, the "simply" business they're in is to rob persons of cash and provide them absolutely nothing in return. That's a true scam in most cases they get discovered promptly and their customers are banned.

The Recording Connection, based around 1984, contains associations and programs over a globally range. It provides students hands-on experience with actual operating specialists within the entertainment industry. Many college students, over the joints they have made throughout their training, find employment instantly after graduation. The tuition is actually far less compared to most of the schools which offer the same classes and also the Recording Connection allows students to be effective within a real studio or arranged area atmosphere. For pretty much 30 years, this company offers earned the praise of numerous professionals, mother and father and students and absolutely nothing of a Recording Connection scam.

It is unlucky that a modest group who could have had an unfortunate mishap with a college can make a buzz that they are the Recording Connection scam; when college students for decades possess felt it had been one of the better places to practice for jobs within the entertainment business. It is necessary whenever reading through e-mail, particularly those that are composed anonymously, that you additionally go to the site and browse the excellent good remarks of this academic institution by the ones that really attended. Around the Recording Connection website, there are video and also posted testimonials by "real" individuals with "real" titles; not really someone who stays their own times trying to ruin another person's popularity.

Finally, be assured that any company which is in the business of education and has been for pretty much thirty years is performing something right. However, given that negative people out there and schemers have a tone of voice upon the world wide web and still have tagged this company the Recording Connection scam, these people try to destroy anything that they sense does not make making use of their viewpoint. The Recording Connection, unfortunately, has gotten caught up in the middle of some of these individuals. However the evidence is in the many years of graduating tens of thousands of students that are working successfully in the market nowadays.

Aug 10, 2010

A very good article. However the haters will just find another lie to justify their cause.

Aug 11, 2010

It's just a pity that people would much rather read (unfounded) reports of recording connection being a scam rather than read truth or at least have an open mind. Have we become so jaded that we choose to disbelieve rather than believe? This is a very sad state of affairs indeed. I'm sticking with recording connection come what may.

Aug 24, 2010

The packet that they supposedlygive that is worth $100 value and getting for free...is free..it's called the internet. Do your research. Duh. Scam all the way around.

Sep 15, 2010

Well I agree. The new website advertised is doschoolright.com. I am sick of them exploiting the people who would be home right now watching these channels such as cbs, abc, fox. Those people are the young uneducated, high school dropouts, single parents, etc. If you want to get info about Olegitimate online AND even on campus schools, just go to petersons.com which only advertises for LEGITIMATE schools-NO DIPLOMA MILLS WHATSOEVER. In fact they do all their research on schools, visit schools to make sure they are legit, and the schools must consistently pay per month to be advertised by Petersons so nothing phony goes on. Trust me I found a great online school, Grand Canyon University, through petersons and they assured me it is a legit. school. Good luck all.

Sep 25, 2010

Actually this particular blog/post was about the comercial for educationconnection at least that is what my browser said. not about recording connection, however I did find something that my fience could probly do & get a job doing. he has worked with many of the people that was listed on here from brian who has worked with & studied under (forget the name, not in the business). He has many talented friends & I do beleive I could help him get into this, at least encourage him. He loves the industry & in college did do some recordings for local bands that have made it in the real world out there. even though alot of negatives were sent out there, I think that there is a positive here, that browsers are leading people to this page & people are getting more than they thought they were. :)
    Thanks brian & jimmy.

Oct 11, 2010

I just dealt with them today and the main complaint I have is that I was calling in for a job and got "sold" an online degree opportunity. Right now the last thing I can afford is an online education. Even with financial aid. I was simply trying to interview for a job.

Where does this happen anywhere else? I applied for a job online from Craigslist. I was asked to call in for evaluation. I never would have called in if I knew I was going to be on the phone for 30 mins talking about furthering my education. They had me "trapped" because I felt the need to be nice so I wouldn't loose the job opportunity, which is the reason I was calling in to begin with. I felt like I was a captive audience. We only spent 3-4 mins talking about the job and all of a sudden I was swung into talking about education. It was like a slick used car sales pitch. I was on the phone with the "education advisor" before I realized what was going on.

I can't see an employer hiring a company to evaluate potential employees if the main motive of that company is to sell potential employees that call in an education. Wouldn't that take away from the job they are applying for? If I was a business that needed employees I certainly wouldn't hire this company. They wouldn't be looking out for my needs, they would just use the calls to fill seats in a school. I believe that the job listing on Craigslist is BS and the company isn't even working with an employer. I think they are even lying to their employees about the job people are calling in for. I've seen a couple postings from Education Connection employees, and they seem passionate about the fact that it is legitimate.

I live in Portland, OR. They are based out of FL. What company out here is going to hire a FL based business to find employees?

I guarantee I don't get a call back for the job I originally applied for, even though the woman I talked with said I was the perfect candidate. I'm positive this is just a "lead generating" scam, and is not affiliated with an actual employer. I'm a Persian Gulf veteran with a useless AA in music. I need a job, not an expensive online education!

• K
      Nov 05, 2010

This isn't an issue for controversy between individuals. It is very rude to verbally attack one another over something that is obviously not even worth discusssion. I'd like to think people would attack the scammers and not each other.

• K
      Nov 05, 2010

Why are you attacking each other??? Wow!!!

• P
      Jan 07, 2011

There are a lot of good opinions spoken already. I have some experience with online schools, but I recommend this: Go to your local college and ask about their online programs. Most of my classes over the years have been for specific jobs where I needed to learn a specific trade. My local community college has several online courses, and the prices are very low. It's a slow way to get a degree but it's a good start if you aren't going to school at all. Community colleges are usually inexpensive anyway, on or off the Internet.
    One other thing, if the online school says it is accredited and the points are transferable, call a regular college and ask if the school accepts the credits. I had one online school name Azusa Pacific University (APU) as accepting their credits for continuing my education. I called APU and asked admissions about them. APU had never heard about that school, so that turned out helpful. As always, do your homework first!

Jul 12, 2011

i just filed complaint with federal trade commission They are a SCAM