Career Network / Fake job website SCAM

Any links to the Career Network or The Career Resource is a scam. I went to the same applicatoin site descibed above and Thank God that my hair started standing on end and I decided to do some research before sending them my personal info. If you look below you will see what I found. They are a fraud and have been in hot water with the U.S. District Court. Enough Said...

Career Network, Inc., and its principals, Walter Turulis and Kathleen Key. Complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, Hammond Division, on January 3, 2001. On January 3, 2001, the court granted the FTC's request for a temporary restraining order, asset freeze, and appointment of a temporary receiver. On January 9, 2001, the court entered stipulated preliminary injunction, continuing the terms of the TRO. Civil Action No: 2:01-CV-001-JM; FTC Staff Contact: Gregory A. Ashe, Bureau of Consumer Protection, [protected].

Nm

Comments

• Ad
      8th of Oct, 2008
    Career Network - Fraudulent Jobs
    Arizona
    career-network.com

I applied for a few jobs on career network until I got a bit curious and started looking around the internet... Realized that this company is a scam company trying to get people to give them information so they can sell it. What the hell happened to honest people...?

• Av
      31st of Oct, 2008

trying to get my email & name off here

1st of Nov, 2008

I also thought it was weird that almost every job posting on craigslist that I applied to sent me to this careernetwork.com for those jobs and that the site asked me for some personal information such as my cell phone and whatnot. AFter putting in for jobs a few times in that site, and not filling out the requests for additional information, I started to realize it was a complete scam. Then I looked on the internet for more cases of people getting spammed from this site, and it turns out I was right about it. Anyway, my point is, be careful on craigslist because almost all the job postings on there are fake and will lead you to this site under different names.

• Ci
      23rd of Feb, 2009
    Career Network - Simply shameful
    Career Network
    thecareernetworkinc.com

This is a fake company. I don't even know how they got my email address. They sent me job offers I am not even qualified for and wanted all my personal information and co-workers email addresses for references. Stupidly, I gave it to them and then was unable to locate a website. The low some people will go! Simply shameful!

• Ni
      4th of Mar, 2009

NMorse is correct - FTC is on to these people - site url is http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/careernetwork.shtm.

As well, again - if you receive job fraud emails like this, or have entered your personal information because you were lead to believe it was for a true job, file a complaint with the FCC. They manage communication issues like email, phones, data transmission, etc.

FCC is quite responsive as well - I had been receiving calls on my cell phone from out of state. No messages left - upon calling back, the disconnect recording was listed. Many were having the same problems according to websites. I filed a complaint (as did many others I'm sure). Within one week the calls stopped - and I've received no more!

Taking advantage of unemployed workers is shameful. Probably a bunch of un-dateable geeks in their parents' basement trying to find a life! ;D

• Se
      16th of Mar, 2009
    Career Network - job offer
    P.O. Box 618305 Orlando, FL 32861-8305
    Orlando
    Florida

This was sent to me as a job offer. Luckily, my spam filter caught it first, and it sounded to good to be true, anyways. I still wanted to complain, though. Someone needs to shut these jerks down. Thanks.

• Mu
      6th of May, 2009

I just got email from the careernetwork.com saying they like my application and they would hire me but I just need to go to career network and apply at their website, well for some reason I believed it's scam so I went to the web site and looked at it and you can tell it's not real website because I clicked on the icons for the hotels and some ads and they won't work, after some researchs I found out it's fake all they want is your info.
    that is what good about scammers they don't know how to lie they are very stupid.

• Ca
      12th of May, 2009

i have been contacted by them numerous times regarding applying for different positions and never heard anything else from them wtf?

• Mi
      23rd of May, 2009

I just got the same the same email, but I was so desperate for the job they were springing on me I didn't even think it might be a scam. I submitted my personal information and now I'm wondering how much danger am I in and what can I do to protect myself? I'm really upset and frustrated. I've been out of work for over a year and I'm hurting. I have two Masters degrees from major universities and they sent me an email regarding "teaching" which is perfect for me.

Any thoughts?

Michael
    michaelmollura@gmail.com

• Mi
      23rd of May, 2009

Just did this... not sure if my last comment went through... but I just went through this process and I gave Career Network my personal information without realizing it was a scam. Now, what can I do to protect myself? What can I expect? I'm so frustrated and upset about this.

Thanks for any help

Michael

• Na
      25th of May, 2009

Michael,

After receiving an email from a company/website/whatever that said they'd been trying to contact me (where? At work? No phone calls rec'd. there. At home? None there, either. And nothing in email.), I decided to check out Career-Network to see if it was indeed a scam.

To address you directly, I went onto a website called Consumer Fraud Reporting at: http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/jobscams_YourCareerSite.php

Here's what they suggest you do if you filled in the information:

Report it to the following government agencies:

* Forward the email you received to the Federal Trade Commission:

spam@uce.gov

* Contact the FBI (United States Federal Bureau of Investigation) at the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3):

And here's the How to File a Complaint FAQ on the FBI website:

Contact your State Attorney General. Your state Attorney General or local office of consumer protection is also listed in the government pages of your telephone book.

I hope everything works out for you, including finding a job very soon.

~Nancy

• Sh
      3rd of Jun, 2009

Hello everyone, i just clicked into this site, because it read - career network scam! This caught my eye, like how could a well known site be fake, i've read all the comments posted and all are so true. I also fill out my info on that website in hopes to find a job, I even got a quick response in e-mail, saying that they had been trying to contact me sense ( 5-29-2009) mind you I gave them my cell number, to which they did not call me nor leave a message. I had been out of town on a family emergency. To receive an e-mail indicating a possible job offer, only to find out that it was'nt real is hurtful! I have 2 Kids 18mths an 6 yrs that depend on their mommy, I have been out of work for over a year now, only depending on child support to get by. Now I hope they find out who's the brains behind this (career network inc.) website, soon!!! And thank you Nancy for your advise. An anyone out their who knows of a job in goverment or security, please contact me via e-mail ( shayc2@yahoo.com) I live in Atlanta, Ga.. Good luck to everyone an god bless you all!

4th of Jun, 2009

I just recieved a call from them regarding a call center job I applied for. They asked mea tons of questions and had me submit some online info mostly involving college. I realize now that it is a college scam. They get paid by these colleges to set this up. I had this happen once before and I was called several times aday by different colleges wanting me start attending. I am fed up. I can't manage to find a job ive been out of work for months and these people are preying on us. It is just wrong!

10th of Jun, 2009

I have received emails with links to career networks, where I sent info in for a job interview. The site pretty much makes you ask to be contacted about education in order to apply for a job, and then you have one or more people calling to ask if you would like to go to school (I think that they mostly have online colleges such as the University of Phoenix). I never heard more about where my application stood. The job's mentioned typically look to good to be true. I have never heard anything further. I believe that Career Network is getting paid to get leads for Universities, and as far as the jobs are concerned, I do not think that they are real. Just think, anyone applying for a job has to ask to be contacted in order to apply for a job that looks too good to be true. That would sure increase their leads, for which I am sure they get paid pretty good. That is my opinion from my experience. Who knows what else they use you information for.

• Gl
      11th of Jun, 2009

I just got an email from them saying, "I am currently seeking a full-time Finance Assistant to work directly with the CFO. This individual will serve as the primary contact for all company related financial information. Attention to detail, strong organizational, analytical and computer skills are essential to be successful within this position. This position offers $40, 000 per year plus benefits, which we can discuss at the time you decide to interview.

Ginger, to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a select number of qualified individuals. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am eager to hear back from you today, if at all possible. By selecting the link below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an available candidate.

I hope to have your application later today!

Best Wishes,

C. Garner
    HR Coordinator"

Which seemed very unlikely, so I decided to check if it was a scam. The links were for holdyourplace.com and hold-your-place.com which both redirected to CareerNetwork.com. As far as scams go, this is probably the slickest that I've seen -- very deceptive. When I clicked on the link for detailed info and "job seeker registration", I noticed at the bottom 3 radio buttons (which usually means that you have to pick one) for requesting school information, one option does say "no interest". Anyway, it's slick, but basically because the job offered doesn't match my resume very well, it smelled of "too good to be true". So, I Google'd "Career Network scam" and found this page.

BTW, I tried searching for jobs on their site and did come up with many listings for "California". The links do work and this appears to be a legitimate job site. They are owned by threestarsinc.com and that site brags about their "creative marketing techniques". In summary, it appears that they engage in deceptive marketing practices, but since no complaint here listed any monetary losses, they are probably not truly malicious. It is still very wrong to get someone's hopes up about a specific job when all they want is to sell your contact info. Shame on Career Network.

• Su
      17th of Jun, 2009

I just received a call minutes ago from someone at Career Network and was ask (by a recording) to hold for a "network verification specialist" and to be in front of my computer to be ready to access on-line information. I held on until a live person answered the phone. She asked if I had a few minutes to go over information about a job I applied for. She wasn't real specific, just stated it was for a Clerical Administrative position. Well, I've applied for about 50 of those types of jobs in the last few months so that really didn't tell me anything. I asked what company it was for and she stated that the company was confindential and that she couldn't give me that information, but "guaranteed me that the job was 25 miles from my current location". I should have asked her to confirm my location, but was already hearing bells and whistles going off as just another scammer. She asked if I wanted to continue with the process or call her back when it was more convenient. I asked for her number, which isn't even an 800 or toll free number, and told her I would call back. I also asked for their website and she just told me Career Network. I'm going to assume this is a scam, right???? Their website looks legit, but I don't believe they really work for prospective employers. Has anyone else been called directly from them???
    Thanks

• Mo
      19th of Jun, 2009

Thank goodness for this post! I have gotten 2 emails so far from these people and what made me suspect that something was wronge is on their "Post" with the description for the job they NEVER give a location on where the job is. The post earlier by G.L. of the email they got I received the same one except it was for office assistant. So thank you guys for all this info now I know better!

• Ms
      24th of Jun, 2009

I was just called today and I feel like such a loser now that I have read your posts!!! The "network verification specialist" told me that I was being contacted about a Human Resources Representative position that I applied for on June 3. Well, like many of you, I have applied for tons of these types of positions, so I didn't think much of it until he started asking me about going back to school and what type of degree I would want to pursue. What does going back to school have to do with getting an interview for a job?!?!?!? I knew something didnt feel right about the conversation, but I didnt want to close any doors on a prospective position. Oh well, now I know...Thanks for all your posts!

• Sh
      25th of Jun, 2009

Well apparently I am not the only desperate one out there. I got a call yesterday from a guy stating he was a verifiaction specialist. He repeated all my information to me, and I too thought it might be a scam. He told me someone would contact me in the next day or two regarding an HR position. Today I received another email from them stating they had been trying to reach me and to clink on the link. I decided to google them and found this. Terrible that we are all so desperate for jobs and there are creeps like this!

• Ju
      25th of Jun, 2009

I actually worked there for 5 days and quit. The home office IS located in Orlando, FL. I went through 3 interviews, all of which I was told different information at so, I had red flags but, because the beginning phases of the job are work from home, I decided to proceed with caution. I had several complaints about it being fraudulent and the fact that every application that came up on my screen read one of 3 hiring companies was a signal and nothing is disclosed to the employee's. I personally think that they place false ads on various job sites to lure you in to solicit for colleges. They hire several dozen employee's daily because, I feel everyone else see's through the scam rather rapidly and quit, as well. I would guess that one out of every 200 employees is naive enough to continue. But, yes, I do feel this is a scam. Career network and the hiring agency- threestarsinc.com are capitalizing on the vulnerabilities of people in this economy. I had one man call in recently whom I had to do suicide intervention for as, he had been out of work for so long and the call was giving him hope that he may get a job and not commit what he was planning but, I knew it was complete false hope. It isn't right to do what they're doing. ...