Care.com / unfair business practices

CA, United States Review updated:

I signed up for a one month premium membership at Care.com, advertised to be $35/month. In fine print it states that your subscription will be renewed if you do not cancel your membership. There is actually no way to cancel your membership, you have to remember to downgrade to free basic membership (which is completely useless) otherwise your credit card will be charged without notice. 9 months later, I find out from my husband (who pays the bills) that there had been recurring charges on our credit card by Care.com. I called and explained my situation and Care.com was only wiling to refund up to 90 days, which is their policy. I could not find this supposed policy anywhere on their website. This company is so shady, buyer beware!!!

Ch
Feb 22, 2013

Comments

• Da
      Nov 07, 2013

I called Care.com to ask if there was a way to post a job on a national forum, rather than the smaller local forum. The representative had to put me on hold to find the answer. I was taken back a little. Even the newest employee would know the answer to this question if the company was legitimate. I cancelled my membership when the representative returned to the phone. Unfortunately, my fears that the company was seedy were supported immediately. They refunded a portion of the payment that I found steep but was acceptable. However, they refused to return a prepaid background check. The representative also refused to let me speak with a manager. As I suspected, a standardized rejection email came that afternoon. I have called several times to be told that it is the policy of Care.com to never return any prepaid money, even if the corresponding membership is terminated. Care.com has not responded to my emails. Meanwhile, I read a previous customers’ commentary on the Better Business Bureau site that warned Care.com aggressively charged renewal fees after stopping membership online. She warned that Care.com requires a call before membership renewal would be stopped. I checked my online account, and although I had already called to stop renewal, it was still set to renew. A legitimate business does not treat their customers in this way. Now, I am compelled to call my credit card company to set a block against Care.com.

• Me
      Nov 12, 2013

Hi Chloe,

We're sorry that you misunderstood our billing policy. As clearly stated on the upgrade page, as well is in our Terms of Use upon enrollment, all of our subscriptions automatically renew until cancelled. You can set the account to downgrade or cancel at any point after upgrading in the Account & Settings section of your profile, or by calling or emailing our Member Care Team.

Our refund policy, as clearly stated in Section 8.3 of our Terms of Use, states that we are only able to refund the most recent charge on any account, only if the Premium features have no been used, and the request for the refund is within 30 days. Ultimately, it is the member's responsibility to cancel the subscription when they are no longer in need of the service. Many of our members like the auto renew policy because it gives them full access to a community of caregivers, as well as access to our back up care feature, and our WePay feature. Additionally, we would not want to interrupt members in the middle of communications or the hiring process.

We again apologize for your experience, and hope that you were able to find the care you were looking for!

Best regards,
    Care.com Member Care Representative

• Me
      Nov 12, 2013

Hi Dani,

We're sorry to hear about your experience with Care.com, and about any confusions about how the service works. If you have an account, you are able to post a job anywhere in the US. The job will go out to people who are within the zip code of that job.

As stated in our terms of use, all prepaid background checks are non refundable. However, these background checks will never expire, and the credit for the background check will remain in your account until you choose to use it. Per our policy, all cases must be reviewed by a supervisor before a follow up.

All of our subscriptions set to automatically renew unless cancelled as clearly stated in our Terms of Use, and on the upgrade page when you had initially signed up. This is a setting you can change at any point in the Account and Settings section of your profile after upgrading.

We apologize again for your experience.

Best regards,