Care one Persels & Associates, LLC / not doing as they promised

I have been with them since July; allowing them to take out $156.00 a month thinking that they are paying off my creditors like they promised.
Only to find out recently that the have been taking out $102.00 a month to pay for Persels & Associates, LLC attorneys' fees and not one penny has gone to any of my debtors.
But what really upsets me is for 4 or 5 times they have tried to get me to sign over to the power of attorney to them over me.
And have come up with different excuses each and everytime.
I am a bit concern because they want power of attorney so badly and access to my medical records and Dr. reports on me; To be able to get a hold of the IRS why I do not know;my bank account;

the custodian of such records, courts, Credit Bureaus (Trans Union, Equifax,
Experian), consumer reporting agencies, retail business establishments, banks, lending
institutions, collection agencies, student loan agencies (public and/or private), Internal Revenue
Service, attorneys, medical professionals, and other organizations and individuals, from liability
for releasing information about my financial information. I agree to hold harmless from, and
indemnify the Agent for, all liability for acts done for me and on my behalf in good faith under
this Power. Should there be any questions as to the validity of this Power, you may contact me
as indicated below.

Comments

• Hr
      13th of Mar, 2009

What State do you live in? This is a scam! Parent company is Amerix Corporation with a large conglomerate of deceitful businesses under them ... including Care One and their National Law Firm, Persels & Associates that is supposed to represent you. Do not sign the Power of Attorney ... They need to send you letters to sign for each specific creditor authorizing Persels & Associates to speak with them. My personnel advice is to get out of this program. I was in this program for over a year and they never contacted my creditors and my credit was worse than when I started. I wish I could speak with you personally ... Although, I got out of this program I refuse to let this deceitful conglomorate continue to scam innocent people. Contact the Maryland BBB and file a complaint, file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) (They have had businesses such as this shut down), and file a complaint with the Attorney Generals Office in your state. You can request files of consumers that have also filed complaints. I hope I have been helpful ... there is so much more I would love to tell you! Good luck ...

• Er
      8th of Apr, 2009

I agree wholeheartedly that this company is a ripoff. We should all file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office in each state. I contacted Careone and the next thing I knew they were referring me to a company without telling me it was a debt settlement company. I did not realize that I was not in a company like consumer credit counseling service. I was paying $150 a month and as I got my statements, it seems the only persons getting paid was Persels. My credit is worse and I am not sure they have even contacted a single creditor. When I finally talked with someone in the firm, they come up with a different reason for what was happening. I found out through conversation that nothing will happen until their up front fee was paid and that it would take many years to have enough money is escrow (first time I heard of this) to begin paying creditors. I don't think they even go for a settlement with the creditors. I could have done that and applied all the money I was sending them and paid off perhaps two creditors.
    These people are asham and when I pulled out of the program and threatened to report them to the Attorney General's office in the State of Georgia, I got several calls from them wanting to discuss this. I asked for my money back and will follow up with this because a lot of us have been taken by this company.
    Erma in Georgia

• Sc
      17th of Jun, 2009

Hi Diana, I am in the same boat your are in and I've been researching these organization for quite some time. Check out my blog: http://screwcesi.wordpress.com - I've been with them since December 2005 and the only way to solve your issues is to deal directly with them. I am serious and you should definitely hit this head on like I am. They are providing me with all of the information I need right now but there are issues that we are working out.

Best of luck to you and I can't stress enough how you need to take this head on with them and ask to speak with their CEO. You might be surprised at their reaction...

• Rh
      18th of Jun, 2009

Call Jimmy Persles at home at 410-758-6513.

It cost me 50 bucks but i got his home number.

Email Bernie Dancel--CEO of careOne and Ascend One---bdancel@ascendone.com

• Pu
      24th of Jun, 2009

I was with Careone/Persels & Associates for over a year. I'm not upset about the fees but what I am upset about is that they didn't contact ANYONE! Every person that took me to court for a judgment said they had no idea that I was being represented by P&A. My first judgment the company was more than will to forego the judgment if I agreed to pay as little as $20 a month. The P&A attorney assigned to me said never to agree to anything and just take the judgment. Every single person that I gave P&A's information to warned me that these people will take my money and do nothing to help me. I finally called P&A myself and asked them for proof of the letters to my creditors and the updates that I had given them. They had nothing. I cancelled with them and I'll handle it myself. I can't do any worse.

• Wo
      15th of Oct, 2009

I have been with Persels & Associates since March of 2009. I don't no why my case would be different but I have had two creditors paid off. How I know they have been paid is because the creditor themself has sent me a letter stating that they recieved a check for such and such amount. However I do agree with the fact that they sure do pay the company Persels & Associates a nice amount of money. Money that could have paid off two or three more of my creditors. I am going to contact them and see why they are taking so much of my money for themselves. I mean if I had the extra money to get rid of, I wouldn't have debit. RIGHT!!!

• Kd
      6th of Nov, 2009

What you guys have not asked Care One up front is what the fees go to. There are 18 monts of fees that go to the lawyers. They tell you that up front. They told me. Money also goes into an escrow account. Then, they use that money in the escrow account to make a settlement. However, the amount in the account has to be substantial and it takes a long time if you're only paying 175 a month like I am. I'm being sued by one card already. I'm about to cancel too but I"m not sure what to do.

1st of Dec, 2009

I am in the program and you have to really pay attention to the fine detail. They give you all the information such as their fees and the consequences of settling. a The first 6 months a big chunk of your money goes to the lawyer fees. The next 12 months a portion of the fees go to the lawyers while the rest goes into an escrow account.

You have to realize that they are NOT going to make minimum monthly payments on your accounts.

You will get sued because you are not paying any of your creditors on time anymore. What Persel's does is wait to have enough money in your escrow account and then they start negotiating with your creditors. It takes time, and you really have to determine if this is the right thing for you. Because your credit will be jeopardized and you will get collections and "lawyers" after you.

What you have to do is to be active with them, call them and ask about updates. Call them every time you get a collection letter to update information. You get a statement each month with the amount that goes to lawyer fees and the amount you have in escrow.

But if for some reason I see that they are not negotiating with my creditors when I have enough money in escrow, then that's when I will see a problem.

As far as the power of attorney, some creditors will not deal with other lawyers unless you give them permission.

So far, I haven't had any problems. (knock on wood). Yes, my credit is bad...yes I am getting collection letters. But barely any calls. As soon as I send a cease and desist letter, they usually stop.

Keep sending cease and desist letters. They are supposed to do it for you as well, but it is also a good idea to send cease and desist letters on your own as well.

I am not saying they are great or anything...just saying read the fine print...know what you are getting into...and be pro-active. I have enough money right now to deal with one creditor...and supposedly they are negotiating. So, let's see how that goes. Because part of that fine print is...the creditor is not obligated to accept our offer.

It's a mess, but just read and be informed.

1st of Dec, 2009

Oh, one more thing. The amount you pay for fees depends on the amount of your debt. It usually is a certain percentage of what you owe. So if you are $10, 000 in debt. Their fee may be 10% or 15% which is $1000 to $1500 spread out into 18 payments, with the first 6 months most of your payment going to fees. It's a lot, I know...

• Ni
      4th of Dec, 2009

Diana Sue and others,

Good morning. As an employee of CareOne I want to apologize for any negative experiences you have had with Persels & Associates. Our relationship with Persels & Associates allows clients to have access to an attorney when seeking debt settlement representation. I would like to make sure that any complaints regarding CareOne or representation from Persels & Associates are addressed. The feedback in this post and in the comments section is very important to helping us continue to improve the services provided to clients.

If you would like assistance in resolving your situation please send an email to clientsupport@myperselsaccount.com. Please also provide this link http://bit.ly/7DVS1R in your email as I have asked for the complaint to be escalated once it is received and this will help them identify it. You can also call 866-939-PALAW and let them know that you are one of the posters on the Complaints Board.

Thank you CharmedConsumer, Kdjdlkj, and WorkingMomof3 for helping to explain the way debt settlement representation works. CareOne blogger Rob Taylor also explains how the process works in this post http://bit.ly/6nuksJ. I highly recommend reading it and posting a comment if you have further questions and/or comments.

In addition, based on client feedback we recently announced a new fee structure for new Persels & Associates clients that we hope will help clients begin to make settlements earlier. You can see the press release here http://bit.ly/8qawUH

I hope this was useful to you. Feel free to post within the CareOne community as well to hear other perspectives from clients directly.

Nichole Kelly
    Director of Social Media
    CareOne Debt Relief Services

• Cv
      9th of Dec, 2009

I have been with Persels thru Care One since September, and already they settled with one of my creditors for about 60% of my original balance. I did sign the power of attorney, but I understand that my creditors will not speak with them without that document. And it is a limited power of attorney for 60 months and expires when my plan with them is complete.
    So far, I am very satisfied with the work they have been doing. I did try to negotiate with the creditors on my own and they did not want to hear it.
    The fess associated with the program were thoroughly explained to me before I signed on. The attorney fees that I will be paying for the next 14 months is not even a drop in the bucket compared to my potential savings by the time they settle all of my accounts, which I am confident they will. In 3 months time I have one off my back already.
    Yes, the phone calls and constant harassment isn't fun, but I knew what i was getting into. Yes, if you work with this type of program your credit will suffer bc you aren't paying the creditors as agreed. It stinks, but I sleep better knowing I can make one monthly payment instead of 12 minimum payments I couldn't afford each month and making myself sick trying to keep up with them all. And my balances never went down anyway. I know that once I get all this cleared up my credit will improve and I will NOT let this happen to me again.
    I know I could never do this on my own, I have tried. I think they are doing a good job and it's worth the money. I also had realistic expectations and wasn't foolish enough to think that it would all go away overnight.

• Br
      29th of Mar, 2010

B ROWE

I started out with care one over 4 years ago. i have been with Persels & Associates for a little over a year now. The reason I went with persels was on the reconmendation of Care One. Care one was doing what they said they would do to start out with. Then one month out of the blue they did not take a payment from my account which threw me off a 30 days. The creditors started calling again the bills were not getting paid again. So I let Care One talk me into going with Persels & Associates, BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Now after a year with them I am being sued for one of my creditors. I have contacted the Maryland BBB, the FTC, the Marylany State Attorney General office and the Alabama State Attorney General office.

DO NOT GET MIXED UP WITH THESE CROOKS, THIS IS FRAUD.

Bobby J Rowe JR

• Ha
      7th of Apr, 2010

I wish I knew about Persels being a scam...Thank God I only been with them since January 2010...Care One told me on the phone I was approved to pay half of what i owe..That was a big relief because i owe a lil over 10 grand...They stated I would pay 141 a month and it will go into an escrow account and to be setteled with my creditors...So I sat back thinking they were handling my creditors...Little did I know that was a bunch of BS...A few days ago I get a letter in the mail from the Constables office with a document of execution...They stated they are going to take my car..and other belongings that can equal 4 grand...garnish my wages...up to 217 per week...I would be left with a little over a 100 in my paycheck if they do that...I called Persels with that 888 number that is linked to Care One ((SCAM)) and they tell you to fax over the paperwork and the lawyer will review it and e-mail me in 3 days with what i should do...Why can't the lawyer call me PERSONALLY???...Because they are a FAKE company...Also Care One told me i only have 73 in my escrow account and if i come across any money if i could make an extra payment so they can settle...Well don't take out 50 bucks a month to pay yourselves!!!...PLUS a 200 dollar initial payment fee...NOTHING was said to me about these fees until now!...I now have contacted a lawyer in my town to review what has been going on...

• Ni
      8th of Apr, 2010

Bobby,

I am very sorry for your experience. Your comment was very concerning to me as this is not the level of service we are committed to providing. I want to make sure you receive a response. We have been trying to get in touch with you for some time, but we do not have a correct phone number. Please contact Rob Taylor directly CareOne at rtaylor@careonecredit.com and he will personally handle your complaint with Persels & Associates. You absolutely can talk to your lawyer at any time. Your attorney will call you personally to discuss any pending litigation once we get your correct information. It is not typical for a client to get a recommendation for Debt Settlement after a single missed payment so it appears there may have been some other contributing factors which led to the recommendation for you to switch from a Debt Management plan. While pursuing settlement it is not unheard of for creditors to pursue a lawsuit in order to recoup the principal balance. Many clients have told us that when their creditor took this step, they were willing to negotiate a settlement rather than to incur the fees of a potentially lengthy lawsuit. So there may be a silver lining depending on who the creditor is. Please contact Rob, I am confident that he will be able to provide assistance in getting you help.

Hates Fake Companies,

I assure you that Persels & Associates is not a fake company. They are a national law firm with over 150 licensed attorneys. I have personally met Neil Ruther, the managing partner who is committed to making sure clients receive the highest quality representation during the settlement process. Naturally, sometimes things don’t go as planned, but we take complaints very seriously and work very hard to ensure they are responded to and escalated appropriately. You can also contact Rob and he will assist you. You absolutely can talk to your lawyer at any time. It helps if they have the documentation you received in advance so they can do research before they contact you. Rob can certainly facilitate this process over the phone with you to help speed things up.

Just reading the information from both of you here I’m sensing that there is some confusion on the differences between a debt management and debt settlement plan. In a debt settlement plan your payment goes into an escrow account and is held until enough funds have built for a settlement to be negotiated with one of your creditors. Here is a recent blog post that explains the differences between the two plans http://c1c.bz/vts I apologize if it was unclear that you would pay a retainer fee for representation up front with debt settlement. Your fees are disclosed in your client agreement and discussed with you prior to enrolling, but I understand it can be overwhelming with the amount of information that is discussed at the time of enrollment. I know that the fees charged by Persels & Associates are very competitive and typically less than a client would pay when retaining a law firm, but if you didn’t understand how the fee structure works I can empathize with your frustration.

If you have any questions, I’d be happy to assist getting you the answers. I’m just a social media person, but I can certainly get you in touch with the right people.

Nichole Kelly
    Director of Social Media
    CareOne Debt Relief Services

• Ul
      19th of Apr, 2010

For all who are reading these reviews and considering solutions for getting out of debt - You have to understand what kind of program you are enrolling in. I am a client of Care One, i also have some understanding of how the Persels program works. If you signed a retainer agreement with a national law firm and didn't bother to research what you were enrolling in, whose fault is that. I don't think Care One is trying to scam anyone. They offer a number of services that help thousands of people get out of debt every day. Persels fee structure has changed since most of the above people were on the plan. Now everything but $50 goes toward settling your debt, from month #1. The main problem is though, that most people who complain, enrolled in a Settlement plan without knowing that it was a settlement plan.

• Or
      21st of Apr, 2010

Persels & Associates are complete scammers. They did not settle one debt while I was in consolidation. They negotiated with no one because I even got a judgment against me while I was paying them fees on top of fees to avoid that very outcome! When they did nothing but take my money and offer me nothing in return, I opted to file bankruptcy through one of their referred attorneys. After they took out the fees, the lawyer they put me in contact with decided to retire and drop my case. Then P & A dropped me as a client. Now they say my account is "settled", and they have no idea where my escrowed funds went. This was after they told me it would be 10 to 14 days for me to get my money back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Do not trust their BBB rating. For-profit credit counseling and debt consolidation companies are, without a doubt, COMPLETE CON ARTISTS. Persels & Associates is no exception. You will regret ever dealing with them. And you will be paying out your hard-earned money for nothing. You might as well take that money and file for bankruptcy right up front. You have been forewarned.

• Di
      28th of Apr, 2010

I have only been with the program for a little over a year, I started out with J.D. Haas, and he was always willing to answer my questions and if he wasn't available he would always call me back in a timely manner. Then last month I got a letter stating that I now had a new attorney Rinky, and that is where all the problems started, I tried for days to get a hold of her and each time I was told that she would call me back, which she never did, until the same day that I had a hearing for a summary judgement, a half an hour before, and that is only because I called her at 8:30 in the morning. And now again each message that I leave for her is not being returned. I just found out now that I have been switched to yet another attorney, and same thing my calls are not being returned. I now have yet another hearing for summary judgement, and need assistance and am getting nothing. Except a field attorney who can't really give me any advice because she isnt licensed in my state. I am seriously thinking about dropping out of the program just hate the thought that I basically threw away over $5000.

• Sw
      5th of May, 2010

I have been with this company for about 22 months. (Persels & Associates, LLC) I have had 3 accounts that were settled with my help from the company. The last of the 3 accounts I spend two weeks traking the accoun and who it got sold to settled the account and had the company call Persels and get the money out of my escrow account.

I have had the company refund me twice and am now trying to get all my legal fees back and close the account. I was sent all my paper work that the company has on file and did simple math came up what they pwe me and now the company is only willing to pay about half saying that I have been refunded two other time and that makes up the total I payed in legal fees. When I add up all my legal fees that I was charged using they paper wrok the sent me I show that I paid $5609 and I was refunded $3160. The company is trying to tell me that they refunded me more but yet they dont show it. They then tried to say they used some of the refund to settle on an account that I had settled on when i had the full amount in escow before I told the company I want my money back and close the account.

Do not work with this company. I know this is a scam for the fact then when I told them i was going to report them to the atterny general and the FTC they tried to keep me on the phone. When I asked for the persons number I was talking too he would not give it to me. i asked for the supvisor's name and numbe and I got the name Liza Griffith and the phone number 410-512-5500. This is a bad number.

My wife called the number and just started changing the last 2 number and got Daniel Mayer. This is the guy who did not give me his number and gave me the worng number. My wife spoke with the guy and he was rude. She asked for him to give us what we paid in leage fees and was told we have it already. She told him that he has to legale give to us and he said that he was not sure. She asked if the call was being recorded and was told that both parties have to agree to being recorded. She told him that she was ok with it and wanted the call to be recorded. Daniel told her that he did not want to be recorded on the call.

How Funny.

Then Daniel place my wife on speaker and told her that we are not getting the amount that we want and that the company settled on a fee account for us. My wife once again told him that was do to us doing the leg work and telling Persels what to do and how to settle the account.

We are going to try and do our best to keep the company from steeling peoples money and causing more harm. I recommend that everyone on this post do the same.

Next move file with FTC and general atterny.

13th of May, 2010

i am so upset i paid into this service for over 18 months just to get sued by the 2 companies I ask them to help me with. I contacted my LAWYER FOR MY CASE WHO SAID OH WELL GUESS YOUR NUMBER CAME OUT ONE OUT OF EVERY FEW WE HAVE THE PEOPLE SUED. I then was told oh well you may as well drop out of program we cant help you need to file bankrupcy. Nice huh?? This is why I did this program in the first place. I have settled both cases myself but now i have paid them over 300 a month for 18 months they only want to give me back legal fees for one month.
    Orinda above, if my fees had all but 50 dollars a month went into escrow for my account why did i after making over a 300 dollar a month payment only have 294 dollars in my escrow??? You better check your facts. Also both creditors had bever been contacted in 18 months

13th of May, 2010

I need to correct myself it was not orinda who made the statement on the fees I am legally blind hard to see i apologize orida and share your feelings