Care One Credit - Persels And Associates / Fraud

1 8930 Standord BlvdColumbia, MD, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-939-PALAW (yes...extra #)

They are scammers! I paid Care One/Persels for over a year. They did nothing, but collect legal fees from me and never negotiated with my creditors. They told me they were a nonprofit organization. It cost me $100 to start their program, very high legal fees with no representation, and its $150.00 to get out of their program.

Hr

Comments

• Hr
      6th of Mar, 2009

con't previous message ...

it's $150.00 to get out of their scam.

• Ca
      24th of Mar, 2009

I have had some good service with Persels, they have settled one of my credit card accounts for more than half of what was owed and have settled 3 of my husband's for less than he owed. The problem is that now we ARE getting sued by one of my husband's creditors (6 months into program)- Persels will NOT represent us in court. That was unsettling. We are in a lot of debt because I was discharged from the military and have not been able to find a job in 7 months. We have realized that most of our creditors will negotiate with us- now that we're getting lawsuit threats, we call and let the creditors know our situation and most will work with us. The good thing about Persels is that they seem to be able to negotiate a lower settlement, but our phones still ring off the hook day and night and some of our creditors will not even talk to Persels. I don't think it's a scam, but I think that if you're in the right position that you can work your own deal with creditors. I started out with CareOne to work a debt management program and 3 of 7 creditors absolutely refused to accept the payment proposals, but when I spoke with them they were more than willing to work with me and lower my payments. Just really do your research to make sure this is the best way for you to go. I am probably going to pay the 150.00 in a few months to get out of their program (once they're done paying off an account)- it just seems a little unsettling to let certain accounts go so many months without getting paid. I was told that some of mine would take up to 18 months to settle- that's 18 months without any payment to creditor. No one is going to wait that long.

• De
      10th of Nov, 2009

I have been with Care One for 2 years now, and am happy to say that in 11 months I will be debt free. You need to pay attention, read your mail, and monitor your bill balances.
    They negotiate better interest rates on most credit cards and loans, but you are still responsible for the bills which they were unable to help you with. Its not Care One's fault you are in debt. You are ultimately responsible for your own debt. No one would be suing you if you had made sufficient monthly payments on time. Care One doesn't remove debt, they simply try to get you better rates.
    I'm currently paying an average of 6% interest on all my card debts, whereas before it was about 20%. They have saved me a ton of interest, which means that I can pay the cards down a lot sooner.

Debt Free in 2010

• Or
      21st of Apr, 2010

Debtfree2010 sounds like a lying shill for these thieves.

Persels & Associates are complete scammers. They did not settle one debt while I was in consolidation. They negotiated with no one because I even got a judgment against me while I was paying them fees on top of fees to avoid that very outcome! Creditors know this. And it proves that Persels & Associates have a weak reputation and are impotent in this business.

Then they did nothing but take my money and offer me nothing in return, I opted to file bankruptcy through one of their referred attorneys. After they took out the fees, the lawyer they put me in contact with decided to retire and drop my case. Then P & A dropped me as a client. Now they say my account is "settled", and they have no idea where my escrowed funds went. This was after they told me it would be 10 to 14 days for me to get my money back.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Do not trust their BBB rating. For-profit credit counseling and debt consolidation companies are, without a doubt, COMPLETE CON ARTISTS. Persels & Associates is no exception. You will regret ever dealing with them. And you will be paying out your hard-earned money for nothing. You might as well take that money, get a local reference from legal aid and file for bankruptcy right up front. You have been forewarned. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a plant for this despicable company.

• Pi
      2nd of Jan, 2011

Settlement Services Complaints - No services with high fees
    Review all Settlement Services complaints
    Settlement Services
    Posted: 2011-01-02 by Pissedoffrenter36
    No services with high fees
    Complaint Rating:
    Company information:
    Care One/ Persels & Associates
    Towson, Maryland
    Phone: 18888882273

I have been with the settlement program since 2007. At first things seem to be fine I understood that I had a retainer fee for attorney's and that my escrow would receive fund from my monthly installments. I entered the program with about 7 accounts to this point there has only been 1 account settled. That account was settled during the initial 18 months I had to pay the attorney's. This account was just settled 2 months ago. I now have to pay more attorney fees because of a added account and I have more in my escrow than before the 1 account was settled but I have nothing getting worked on. I have asked to have certain accounts settlement negotiations started and was told by the attorney that the creditor did not agree but could not get any information on who was contacted nor paperwork to show that a settlement attempt was made. I am going to seek an attorney because as of 10/2010 the FTC (federal trade commission) has made it illegal for debt relief providers to charge fees before providing a service and I am now paying fees again..