Caracol Varadero/Cohiba Cigars / selling old/dry/broken cigars

1 Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I have just returned from a trip to Varadero on December 21st..While I was there I purchased a box of 25 Cohiba Exquisitos with a seal number XV 145052 and a box of Cohiba Siglo 11 with a seal number IJ 715332.I purchased these at the state store in the Las Americas Commercial Plaza.When I opened them I found that the Exquisitos were old and very dry.I noticed that the outside cardboard cover had a USE MAR 08 stamped on it.I now assume that the cigars should have been sold by March of 2008.The Siglo 11 were dry and broken when I opened the wooden container.I am very upset as I thought that purchasing these products through the proper channels would guarantee freshness.I have travelled to Varadero several times in the past 7 years and had no trouble with earlier purchases.One of the main reasons I chose Cuba was in order to purchase cigars.I will not be returning unless I get some response to this complaint.There are many other islands I can go to for a winter vacation.Passing off old inferior products to me will result in a loss of future tourism.Someone should inform the staff of the Tobacco shop in the Caracol Varadero location that they are responible for lost vacation dollars coming to Cuba.

Comments

• Ji
      15th of Jan, 2009

On January 12/09 at around 9PM we bought 20 Guantanamera Puritos for a friend from the same store, Caracol Varaderon, Varadero. We were charged 25 Convertable Cuban Pesos and accepted that as we had been told prices were set. On return to the hotel I noted the price tag and good til date had been removed. At the airport I noted all stores there were selling exactly the same package for 15 Convertible pesos. The people in the store in question appear downright dishonest, steer clear of that store.

• Ar
      31st of Jul, 2009

I just reported this to Caracol S.A and soon you will be hearing from news about this issue.
    I hope you please visit Cuba again, and talk to any Caracol Manager about what have happened to you, and I am 100% sure they will give you the product you wanted and the money back.

Very sorry for the inconvenience,

Ariel Herreraz