Capital One Credit Card / unfair interest practice

I recently took advantage of a Capital One "0% interest on balance transfers" offer. No where in the offer did it explain that no, they would not charge interest on your transfer but they would institute new interest charges on current purchases even though the new purchase charges are paid in a timely manner. As long as I have had this card, I only had finance charges if my payment was late. Since my balance transfer, I have finance charges every month even though all current purchases are paid promptly.

Comments

• He
      21st of Jun, 2007

I have been trying to closed one of my Credit Card Acct with capitaone bank, for " 3 month, sending registered letters (& phone calls, but they keep saying the same , that is "in process of being closed", I had to speak to a Mgr. in the "outsource center in India" & talk to the them very angry & requested to sending me a letter that the account should be closed. I already closed other 2 accounts I had with them.

Capitalone Bank, "socks" & it should be investigated & charged accounted for "illegal & tricky practices, with its customers.

Thank you.

25th of Oct, 2008

IF YOUR TIME IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. They are the worst in the industry! For the 4th or 5th time in a few months, they have put a hold on my credit card for no reason. It is so embarrasing! I am waiting in line to pay the cashier at a supermarket and the card gets declined. I know that there is plenty of money on the card, so I called the customer service number. Guess what? I am transferred to India, where I could barely understand the customer rep's thick Indian accent. I had to repeat my card number several times, then she argues that the number I gave is not a legitimate number. I said, "What?!" I am reading the card that you, guys issued me and I have been using this same card for years. Then, she puts me on hold for several minutes. Upon her return, I remind her that I am still holding up the line at the supermarket and people are starting to glare at me like it's my fault that my credit card is having problems. The service rep asks me to repeat the credit card number 2 more times, puts me on hold for 3 more minutes and then says that there is no hold on the card and for the cashier to try to run it again. For the 4th time, the store cashier runs the card and again, the computer screen says that the card is declined. I tell the service rep this, and she still insists that it is not on their end, but on the store's end. The cashier runs the card 2 more times. Same thing. I ask the service rep to be transferred to a supervisor and she says in "an-i-don't-give-a-crap" voice, "I can't transfer you until I exhaust all the troubleshooting possibilities. What are the last 3 digits on the back of your card?" I give her the number and she says, "That is an invalid code". Again, I shriek, '"What?! I am simply reading the back of my card and I have used this code and this card for years? What is going on?" She says (amused), "Hold the line..." Again, I was on hold for several minutes, then she comes back on the line and said, "I don't see any problem on the card. Run the card again... Maybe this time it will work." I ask the cashier (who at this time, is now glaring at ME), to run the card one last time. Guess what? Card is still declined and the phone goes dead!

• Ni
      20th of Nov, 2008

I used to work in one of their out sourcing centers here in the states. It literally made me sick (physically ill) and I ended up quitting the job.

Anyways, what they don't tell you about bank transfers and your current balance is that the money you send it gets divided over different "owed" balances on your card and you do not get to pick where the money gets spent.

These percentages are off, but here's an explaination of it:

Say you owe $200 and have a $500 balance transfer. Both those have different interest rates... the $200 is at 10% so you have $20 due in interest on it and the $500 is at 0% so you have 0 due on it. Your payment of $100 is divided up among those four things in some convoluted way (despite asking for clarification several times to tell the customers, I was never given any).. so that $80 of it goes towards paying the balance transfer...and $20 of it towards the other interest amount. Now you're left with $200 that's still gaining interest, $420 on your balance transfer, and $0 in interest to pay.

Ideally, the amount you paid would be used to pay on the amount that was gaining interest. However, Capital One is in the banking business to make as much money as possible. Stay away from the scam that's this card.

• Al
      7th of Aug, 2009

You can file a complain with http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/faqs/credit_interest.html. Please file all complain against capitol one. We all and all for one. The more people file complains the better we all will be.
    Lets not let them step on us. Together we can make a diffrence. Lets stick together on this.