Capital One Credit Card / terrible policies and customer service

Phone: 8009033637

After owning a credit card with Capital One for nearly 3 years and paying down a credit line in excess of 5, 000 (ON TIME) within a years time, my balance was finally paid in full! Or so I thought... I was always in the habit of paying my bills online, Capital One was no exception. The month following my final payment, I received a statement that showed I owed a balance of 3.85 with a late fee! I was puzzled and contacted their customer service department - located in INDIA...
While I have no problem with outsourcing SOME services, why would customer service be outsourced to a call center that only knows how to repeat a script and not deal with real problems???
After explaining my situation several times to the gentlemen, he explained that the 3.85 was the last finance charge owed on the account, and that he would remove the late fee if I paid the 3.85 balance that day - reluctantly, I did...
Two months later, I received another statement - showing I had owed .50 cents (for who knows what) with a late fees to boot! The total on my bill was now 49.00...
So, I called customer incompetence center..
Without even listening to my problem, I was rerouted to "collections" where a gentlemen proceeded to read me the script about how much I owed, how much was due, and how would I like to pay.
Calmly, I explained that I would not like to pay because the charges were ### and that the account had been paid in full 3-4 months prior and asked him to check his records.
Again, recited a script, asking me how I would like to pay and telling me my options when I rudely interrupted and asked to speak to a manager. Rerouted, holding, finally someone - nope, just another person who decided to tell me the same information over and over about how much I owed, etc.
After interrupting again, and explaining that I would not continue to repeat the problem, I asked to speak to a competent supervisor. Rather than doing that, the gentlemen told me that he would take care of the account, saw the problem and would zero the balance with no negative reflection on my credit - of course. (rolls eyes)
Three days passed, I logged on to my Capital One account online and saw that the balance was now 59.00.
Beyond the capability of patience, I again called the screw-you-over line for customer service...
After going through two people who I could not understand and who in turn, did not understand my problem, I was put on with a "supervisor". This individual explained to me that my account was zeroed out, but was still in the process of being closed. I was shocked, "Closed!?"
I was told that because my account was so overdue and all of the charges were late fees and finance charges, that in order for them to zero the account - it had to be closed. Part of me was overwhelmingly angry. After using their credit card, maxing out the credit limit and paying it completely down to zero, this is how I am treated? (believe me I will be checking my credit reports to see if this was a charge-off - although I was explicitly told that it would not affect my credit negatively).
But, honestly I am relieved and will never use Capital One again... Despite the 10 million solicitations they send out in the mail.
With so many people not able to pay their credit card bills right now due to the current economic state in the US, it is amazing that I was treated with such disdain. I truly hope that these type of management practices catch up with a company such as this. Next commercial I would like to see is the Board of Directors being attacked by whats in their wallet...or not in their wallet - and having to contact their own customer service department for help - Ha Ha Ha

Comments

• Ar
      17th of Jul, 2008

They continue to call me over and over and over and over. I asked them to contact me VIA mail.

• Hi
      5th of Aug, 2008

I am too getting harassing calls from Capital One. I am not even their customer. As per the capital one customer care, it will take upto one month to get my number removed from their list. I that speaks volume of their efficiency. Reading the experience of others on various forums, I am not sure whether they will actually remove my number from their list.

16th of Sep, 2008

We excepted a settlement from capital one in july 07 do our undeerstanding it was paid then we were theatened by total credit recovery that they were going to take our home we explained that it was paid kyle the manager at total credit recovery laughed to bad so sad he was even ignorant to our bank we then paid another settlement now we are be harresed by nco finacial saying that we still owe the money so from july 07 to july 08 we have paid a settlement twice then we hear from capital one that it wasnt paid in full the first time it was short by 53 dollars and some odd cents so for almost a year they have been sitting on this account till july 08 now we have received more harrising phone calls from nco financial saying we need to pay more money again i did frin out one thing though since fighting the principle capital one is at fault for sending the 1 paid accounts back out again lets stop the harrsement we are greater in numbers capital should stop false advertising in saying they are there for their clients sorry but you are not you are there for the scalping of the consumers

• Je
      15th of Oct, 2008

The current economic state isn't really the only reason for the attitude you're getting. Can't say I'm surprised - it's an obvious panic response and a recurring theme for them.

The attitude back in 2001 in the aftermath of the attack in NYC wasn't any better. Most employees you would have encountered would have behaved as though it were the consumers fault the mail were delayed (or worse), with many of them spending that time issuing numerous harassing phone calls, making threats, using bully tactics, etc. on a number of customers, all the while refusing to listen to logic or reason. Same thing in the aftermath of Katrina and a variety of other situations.

Their attitude pretty clearly comes through as - you should have planned accordingly. As if you have an amazingly accurate magic 8-ball. Right.

25th of Oct, 2008

IF YOUR TIME IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE CREDIT CARD. They are the worst in the industry! For the 4th or 5th time in a few months, they have put a hold on my credit card for no reason. It is so embarrasing! I am waiting in line to pay the cashier at a supermarket and the card gets declined. I know that there is plenty of money on the card, so I called the customer service number. Guess what? I am transferred to India, where I could barely understand the customer rep's thick Indian accent. I had to repeat my card number several times, then she argues that the number I gave is not a legitimate number. I said, "What?!" I am reading the card that you, guys issued me and I have been using this same card for years. Then, she puts me on hold for several minutes. Upon her return, I remind her that I am still holding up the line at the supermarket and people are starting to glare at me like it's my fault that my credit card is having problems. The service rep asks me to repeat the credit card number 2 more times, puts me on hold for 3 more minutes and then says that there is no hold on the card and for the cashier to try to run it again. For the 4th time, the store cashier runs the card and again, the computer screen says that the card is declined. I tell the service rep this, and she still insists that it is not on their end, but on the store's end. The cashier runs the card 2 more times. Same thing. I ask the service rep to be transferred to a supervisor and she says in "an-i-don't-give-a-crap" voice, "I can't transfer you until I exhaust all the troubleshooting possibilities. What are the last 3 digits on the back of your card?" I give her the number and she says, "That is an invalid code". Again, I shriek, '"What?! I am simply reading the back of my card and I have used this code and this card for years? What is going on?" She says (amused), "Hold the line..." Again, I was on hold for several minutes, then she comes back on the line and said, "I don't see any problem on the card. Run the card again... Maybe this time it will work." I ask the cashier (who at this time, is now glaring at ME), to run the card one last time. Guess what? Card is still declined and the phone goes dead!

• Te
      23rd of Nov, 2009

i agree they are not good i have had more calls than i care to mention because i am two weeks behind
    of course i am not i do banking online so it is right in front of me haha
    but still they are calling so now i will not give them my dob and the last guy must have been
    doing a country dance in the middle of his office he even threatend (get this) to put the phone down
    hahah i reminded him that as he was paying for the call i am happy to sit chatting for the rest of the day
    and lay the phone next to my radio suffice to say he was gone on my return hahhaha anyway no doubt itl will start again tommorow.

• Ca
      8th of Feb, 2010

Capital One is calling my daughter's cell phone daily. My husband called them once to ask them to stop. Whoever he spoke with after asking for her social security number (which he refused to give...) said it would take 72 hours. That request was made on 2-3-10.

We do not now, nor have we ever an account with them. I called our local cell phone provider and they blocked 5 of the numbers, but she continues to get calls from other numbers. They usually call two or three times and then stop. The calls start over the next day usually around 4 or 5 St. Louis time. Sometimes they leave a message that is cut off so we can't even what it is because it is a recording. She is in middle school and does not have any association with Capital One.

The following numbers have been calling her phone all calls are Capital One

951-243-2302
    559-332-2306

813-274-1837
    805-964-0386
    309-827-5401

When we got her the cell phone over the summer we immediately put it on the no call list.

19th of Feb, 2010

I've been receiving an average of 11 calls daily from a number...888 748 4956...on my cell phone. No messages ave been left o my voice mail when I have forwarded the calls to same. I answered it one day and the "bot machine" connected me when I said "hello" to a female rep that sounded Asian.
    I asked what she wanted and she asked me for my social security number. I asked who she worked for and she stated that she was calling to offer me a promotion on my Capital One account. I told her that I wouldn't give her any personal info and tat I had received over 8 annoyance calls per day from her number. I also stated that I wanted te calls to STOP immediately, and I hanged up. This occurred last week on 2-15-10
    Next day, the calls began again. They have continued daily and now average 13 calls per day.
    I call this harassment. Where are the authorities in this? I'll be filing a complaint with the NYS Atty General next week. This misconduct is criminal and disrupting my life.

• Ji
      24th of Mar, 2010

It appears Capitol One is now using a tactic of calling from different numbers to bypass the system. I also have a list of numbers Capitol One uses to call from.

I started using my Droid cell phone as a tool to create a list of Capitol One's Harassing numbers. I add all these numbers to their contact info and have setup that any call coming from Capitol One goes directly to voicemail.
    I feel that if we can create a list with all the numbers they use, others can come to this site and do the same as well as add any new numbers they come up with.

The first part of the list below is from one day of collecting the numbers from their harassing calls...

I have added all the numbers discussed from this page to the list. I request that when anyone comes to this page with a number that is not on this list that they make a post and add it to the list for all to use.

Just copy and paste all the numbers together into the new post.

813-806-6339

Thanks

Jim

• Ro
      13th of Oct, 2010

Capital One has about 35 different phone numbers they use, my wife has been very ill and unable to pay her bills and since we have seperate finances in the same house the phone calls have been harassing me as well as her. I have been keeping records of Capital Ones phone calls for about a year so I know about the way they try to collect and the phone numbers they use. It is not worth the fight, I have a ring controller that is set up to allow family and friends to get through, no one and I mean no one else can reach me unless I decide to put them on the pass list. These units can be tricky to figure out but well worth the effort. Capaital One and GE Money fall in the worst of the worst.

• Sh
      24th of Jan, 2011

For many months I have been receiving calls from Capital One on my cell, at work, and at home from 8044826667. I receive an automated message stating that Capital One is attempting to reach a James Patricky. I have had these numbers for a long time and do not know of a James Patricky. I also have never had an account with Capital One. Throughout this period I have asked them to remove my numbers from their list. I have been told by them that it would be done immediately, could take 72 hours, and could take up to three weeks. Every time I speak with someone and explain my situation, the person's attitude becomes very condescending, disrespectful, and rude. I have asked to escalate and they refuse to let me speak with anyone else. I have used the 8044826667 number as well as numbers from Capital One's website to try to get them to stop. All of my numbers are also on the National Do Not Call list, but this doesn't help. I would love to know how to involve the authorities to stop them.

• Ho
      9th of Feb, 2011

I too am getting calls from Capital One, and have never in the past, not will I in the future, be a customer. Do they think I have control over a relative's business. How did they get my WORK cell phone number? First they would ask for the relative, now when I say hello, they hang up! When I called they said my number would be remooved in 2-3 business days. Not acceptible in my opinion. The manager I then asked to talk to could not do any better. When I told him I thought this was harrassment, he disagreed and said it was more like UNETHICAL!!! This from an employee!!! What's in your wallet? Hope it's not a Capital One card...spread the work to your relatives as well. If they miss a payment, they will let it be know to everyone in your family, cause they'll be calling anyone and everyone they can find!!

• Db
      18th of Feb, 2011

I suffered with these jerks calling me night and day. I kept telling them that the guy they were looking for did not live here, never lived here, and to leave me alone. They would promise to do so but then called the same day again. I don't and never did deal with Capital One, I don't know how they got my number.
    Here's the solution I used, and it worked. Call you phone company and they will tell you how to block the number. There is a code to punch in after or before you call the Captial one number and it blocks every call they make to you! I'm sorry I forgot how to do it as it was several months ago, but this works. I know this is working because my Bright House shows incoming calls on the tv but the phone doesn't ring. It comes up as "800 Service" and I know that the jerks are calling again, but I don't have to deal with it anymore! Try this and you will finally get some peace from this relentless company! I will never do business with these people because of all the harrassment they gave me for no reason!

• Ri
      27th of Mar, 2011

When you get a collection call just save the number to your cell phone
    After saving go to edit details
    Put no name, just the phone number,
    For ringtone put NO RING
    Save contact
    From now on you will only get missed calls and no irritating phone calls from computer generated collection.
    currently I have over 30 numbers
    also make sure your family is on the DO NOT CALL LIST...because they will harrass them too!

• Dc
      10th of Jun, 2011

I totally agree with every one that puts a complaint with capital one loan sharks.im in canada and we ran into trouble and we could not give the minimum required payment that they sent to use on the bill threw email.So we at least made a 150.00 dollar payment every month and more when we could so with the lousiest communication that i ever herd of it says on the back of the card the number is for USA and canada what a joke that is we phoned a number of a cations and capt getting this number for canada when i phone them the give me back the number on the back of the card.so that miens the right hand has no idea if the left hand is picking someones a?? our something but they just don't now what is what with there own company.yes i angry that capital one is number one in ruining peoples life's now im going to take this idiots to court and plaster a blog on as many sites as i can find.