Capital One / unauthorized charges

I have been a Capital One credit card holder for 4+ years. I am responsible for what I have charged and pay on-time if a payment is necessary. However, that being said, Capital One has been charging me a payment protection fee for over 3 years. Totaling the monthly fee for over all these years it is over 800, they just refunded me 100 and are 'investigating' the issue. I have never signed up for this service and find it highly suspect that you can just charge someone a fee and say that it was on my statement every month, why am I disputing it now. They are stealing from people and laugh about it on the phone. Anyone out there that this has happened to? Any Esq. in the bunch that see any wrong doing. I am angry. I as a taxpayer am bailing out banks that probably practice this same thing!

Va

Comments

Su
  11th of Oct, 2007
Capital One - Unauthorised charges!
United Kingdom

I had a CapitalOne credit card in London - after two years of exorbitant interest charges and spiraling costs, I finally managed to pay off the balance and sent them the final cheque with a letter instructing them to immediately cancel my account. Two weeks later I moved house, and a year later moved again.

Six months after THAT, I received a year's worth of mail from my ex-flatmate, stating that he was returning to Australia and would no longer deal with my debts... I thought, "what?" - got my mail, realized CreditOne were chasing me for ~ GBP#290. I rang them to query, and they explained that - despite me "closing" the account - they had continued to honor the monthly payments I had authorized another company to take from that card. Despite having also canceled that authority, which was a whole other problem. SO I had 18 months of monthly charges plus 18 months of late payment fees and overlimit fees, as well as 30% interest charges.

I explained again that I had closed the account and refused to pay the additional charges - they asked me for my current address, "just so they could keep in touch", and again I refused, as I was no longer a current customer of theirs and had no responsibility to provide them with my details. It took 6 weeks of weekly phone calls for them to accept that I would not be paying the charges they had issued since I had officially canceled the account (luckily I had a dated copy of that letter).

Even in desperation I would never ever apply for a card or any other credit with them again.

Va
  25th of Nov, 2008

I have 5 credit cards 3 are mine and 2 my husbands. Our accounts have been charged over the limit fees after they added the annual fees. I been paying the minimum payment they requested and they still are charging my accounts the over the limit fee. I don't understand if I am paying the amount they requested as minimum how they would are can charge my account over the limit fees.

When I phone them they hung up on me and then phone back again after saying I will cancel my cards they stated that won't stop the unfair over the limit fees. Am I reading the HR bill 5422 wrong after you cancel your credit card can they charge your account over the limit fees still?

Ga
  20th of Sep, 2009

In December I called a TV advertisement to plan a purchase of a U-2 Mop. The telephone operator immediately wanted my personal information as well as credit card number. (I will never be that stupid again to give out my number first). After answering her questions about the products I was interested in, ( as well as many more additional items that she wanted to add) I asked the total charges and was overwhelmed by the total as well as exorbitant handling and shipping charges. Also she said it would take 4 to 6 weeks. I told her I was no longer interested to please cancel that order. I did not want the mop. She said 'okay'.

One month later I received the mop anyway. I immediately called the company and was told I would have to e-mail someone. I did but apparently the e-mail address was a bogus one because the e-mail was never opened by anyone at the other end. I was told there was no one I could speak to on the phone.

I then opened my credit card statement and the charge had been put on the same day I talked with the telephone operator. She entered the charge anyway without my authorization!!!.

I called Capital One to see what could be done. The young man I spoke with immediately began lecturing me about how foolish I was to even deal with a TV Advertisement. He explained that was the reason brick and mortar stores do not sell these products so they will not be victims to people like these. He explained the stupidity of believing that your 'taped converstations' would help because of course they are lost or possibly never made or accidentally erased.

I asked if these charges could be stopped since they were to be in 3 payments. He said no there was nothing I could do except possibly ship it back for another charge. I asked to speak with someone else at Capitol One and he said "No, it wouldn't do any good!" I told him I would call back myself to speak with someone else and he sarcastically said "Okay, we'll be waiting for you!"

I called back and spoke with a woman who said she would add to my report that the young man had taken that "I specifically told the U-2 Mop operator to cancel the order before it was ever authorized". However, at that time I should not return it for another charge or do anything until I heard from Capital One. She told me I would receive a letter within 25 days on what to do.

I have heard nothing from Capital One. I have received another statement from them with another charge!!! They did not block the charge or send me a letter or follow up in any way.. I AM AT A LOSS AS TO WHAT TO DO!!! I'm assuming there is no way to fight this because I researched on the internet and found this TV Company(that sells products like these) owns several TV Channels..How unfortunate for the American Public.

I also have now seen this mop advertised in other mail-order catalogs for a fraction of the handling and shipping charges. To make matters worse:

STUPID ME; I gave in yesterday and opened the mop since it undoubtedly is mine with no recourse. OF COURSE IT DOES NOT WORK AND DO THE THINGS ADVERTISED!!!

Now I pray that powerful comanies like Capital One and these companies who own TV Channels will somehow be brought low by our public being informed and enlightened!!!

Ch
  20th of Sep, 2009

Not only should you stay away from internet ads, of all types, but you should also stay away from All TV and RADIO commercials.
It does not matter who endorses the product or which program you saw or heard it on, IT IS STILL A SCAM!

The main source of everyone's problems here is: TV, RADIO and INTERNET commercials.

The GOOGLE ads are a huge scam, even the ones on this page!...It's a sad fact of life, these days...Trust NO one .

Tell Capitol One they should remove the charges or you will not pay. They can get their money back with a charge back!
U2 Mop did not live up to their end of the agreement. They said you could cancel, but they made it impossible to cancel, among other things.

If they won't help you, then you won't PAY them because they have become a willing and important part of the SCAM!

22nd of Feb, 2010

Beware of Capital one merchant account
Simply put, the employees who are assigned to facilitate the merchant account are double agents in disguise. Once your account is set up, they would literally share your account information with companies you never held of without your permission. Consequently, these companies will continue to access and withdraw money from your account every month. My friend owns a Boutique in Dallas Texas and she had been a victim of the fraudulent act of Capital one. At a glance you may be tempted to conclude that the following names are reputable companies, however, they have conspired with Capital one to defraud my friend. They include AMERICAN EXPRESS COLLECTION, DISCOVER NETWORK SETTLEMENT AND CAPITAL ONE MRCH MERCH, etc. Please pay close attention to the names and do not imply that the names are affiliated with credit card companies, i.e. American express or discover card, etc. When confronted, Capital one never apologize, instead, they asked the following questions, 1) why did it takes so long for my friend to bring it to their attention, and 2) why did my friend failed to catch it the first time? Nevertheless, the money is yet to be posted into my friend’s account.

Ri
  8th of Apr, 2011

I had a vendor charge my account and forged my name to credit card receipts. I disputed the charge and Capital One took it off. When the vendor complained and said I agreed to a charge of over $1000, (I had already paid my balance with them of almost $1500) Capital One put it back on my account saying it was MY FAULT I didn't get this conversation in writing!!! Further, if I wanted to pursue remedy, I would need to do it outside of Capital One! I am in the Midwest and the vendor in California!!! I guess if you are looking to get away with fraud and you have a credit card machine...keep you eyes open for a Capital One card...you can get away with a Class A Felony!!!

Us
  14th of Apr, 2011

I joined the Marine Corps in January of 2009. Prior to going I called Capital One to see if they had a program for service members to put a hold on payments while they do not have access to banking. I was told that they did and my account would be put into it. I asked to clarify if this meant I would owe the same amount of money when I got out of Boot Camp that I currently owed. They said that I was correct in my understanding. I got out of Boot Camp to a bill hundreds of dollars higher. I called and asked them to clear up the problem. After multiple calls and hours dealing with their mistake on my ten days of leave before going to my Combat Training, where I would again be without banking, I finally got them to agree to credit my account the amount that charged in Boot Camp, because I offered to pay the full amount owed the day I left for Boot Camp. When I got out of Marine Combat Training and into my job school, they had only credited $100.00 of the unauthorized charges and charged even more on me not paying the uncredited amount. I called them almost daily and talked for hours trying to fix this, not to mention the 2am-4am calls from their collections department that lead to me explaining and reexplaining my situation. Capital One lies to our service members and cheats them out of money when they are training to defend our country. They are irresponsible and will not own up to their mistake. Eventually, I will be getting out of the Marine Corps and will need my credit score to reflect my financial stability so that I can get a lower interest rate on the home I am planning on purchasing. Capital One is slowing this goal and I hope that everyone that joins the internet "support the troops" groups or has a sticker on their car actually DOES support the troops and not the financial institution that takes advantage of them and their sacrifices.

Ba
  3rd of May, 2011

I used to really like this credit card but now I find they make it impossible to get on their website to pay your account and then you pay the same day and they put the payment in a day later and charge you $35.00 past due fee when you actually pay on time. I also pay very well. I pay my balance in full without incurring finance fees. Just two months ago I purchased extra miles from Volkswagon for my son and he is paying it to me in payments so that balance we are paying off. Once my account is paid in full, I will cancel their credit card. I think they should be investigated for their dirty methods that they do to their customers. They are con artists and scanners. I will be cancelling it as soon as possible