Capella University / fraud and cheating

I contacted Capella University about Ph.D. classes in business, and was hard-sold by their 'counselors' who called me and pressured me to enroll. The per credit cost I was originally quoted was increased after my first term. They also did not mention the additional costs of attending required residential colloguia, which add a hug amount to the cost of a Capella education. The travel, plus a week off from work, plus Capella's fees of $1, 350 for each week make these more expensive than traveling to Europe. I tried to withdraw from my classes, and was told I had withdrawn. Later, I got a bill for about $1, 800 from Capella, even though I did not participate in the classes and thought they had been dropped. I have complained to the Federal Trade Commission and the Washington State Attorney General about this, and Capella refuses to recognize the error.

They suggested that I borrow the money from one of their lenders and pay them that way. I insisted that I was unwilling to pay for services I never received. Capella still insists I pay. Caveat Emptor!

Va

Comments

• On
      12th of May, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

i'm a current student and was told that my financial aid would cover everything and now i owe 1860. the worst decision i ever made was going to capella university. at least i know ill pass my classes.

8th of Aug, 2017

@one mad capella customer *student* Contact: JOHNLEEBASS@GMAIL.COM for class action lawsuit against this scam "school"

• On
      12th of May, 2009

DO NOT GO TO CAPELLA UNIVERSITY. YOU ARE A CUSTOMER NOT A STUDENTS. YOU END OF PAYING THOUSANDS FOR A WORTHLESS DEGREE. IF YOU SEE ANY GOOD COMMENTS ABOUT CAPELLA EVERY ONE IS FROM A CAPPELLA EMPLOYEE NOT FROM A REAL STUDENT/CUSTOMER.

• Ph
      6th of Dec, 2009

Obviously, you do not know how to listen and/or read. If you were enrolled and even fumbled through the website OR if you even checked out other PhD programs, you would notice they ALL require you to attend multiple residencies or colloquia at some point through the program. It sounds like you thought this was going to be an easy and cheap process to get your degree. Fortunately for the rest of us, you were sadly mistaken.

Additionally, to you and everyone else, if you also read through the withdrawal process, you would have noticed the withdrawal dates and the amount you would have been refunded.

If you thought this was going to be an easy process or an easy degree, you are one who truly needs an education...in common sense. If it was easy, everyone would have a PhD and the degree would then be about as worthless as all of you.

There are tough instructors, yes, BUT they are there to make you a better student, person, and colleague. Remember, you are joining an elite group. This is a terminal degree and one that should not be taken lightly. I have had two very difficult and extremly frustrating instructors, but it forced me to study that much harder. The result of which left me more appreciative of what it was they were trying to teach me. Those classes were building blocks of skills I will need for my dissertation.

Being only six classes away from my comprehensive exams and disseration, I have found this process very humbling and enlightening, and am much more appreciative of both fellow PhD learners and instructors. I expect to finish my dissertation around the fall of 2011. Maybe you should open your eyes to a new perspective of appreciation and humility for your own inadequacies.

• Ro
      13th of Jun, 2017

@PhD2011 Vert well said.

8th of Aug, 2017

@PhD2011 Well said "paid Capella employee"!

18th of May, 2010

That is horrible.

18th of May, 2010

That is horrible, yes and sorry it has happened.
    But I have know people fail a class 3 time and after two times it takes special permission to take the class again. They passed it the third time. So it is not a given in terms of grades, not in terms of the grade you receive. This is very negative press. I do agree that at times it seems some of the instructors are more lenient than they should be.

• Gj
      17th of Jan, 2011

Capella sucks and they will rob you!!!

• Sh
      29th of Jan, 2011

Just to state for the readers, not everyone from Washington state is as naive as this individual seems to be. Most every community college that I have heard of, talk to, or otherwise spoken with including two I have instructed for have stated that Capella is accepted as one of the most important universites today. The reason I mention the community colleges opinion is that many PhD recipients intend to teach at the community college level and having a PhD definitely gets your foot in the door to teach. Many of the four year colleges in the area that do not offer a PhD feel the same way.

8th of Aug, 2017

@shemite "...talked to or spoken with..."

Well said reiterating yourself! Another Capella paid employee to post ALTERNATIVE FACTS on here!

10th of Jul, 2011

I attended Capella University to receive a Masters in Family Psychology about 6 years ago. Since that time, they have been trying to squeeze about $1860 out of me, saying that I failed to pay for a class. I had all of my expenses paid with a FAFSA loan and so, I am very certain that this is an error on their part. Sounds like they do this sort of thing to a lot of their students and probably successfully get that extra two grand from a fair number of them. The degree that I got has proven worthless in my field. I too was "hard sold" by counselors who wanted me to continue on with Capella to get a PhD in Useless Psychology. I realized, however, that I could buy a house for the same amount that I would end up paying for a doctorate from Capella and at least if I bought a house, I would end up with some equity...something to show for it.

10th of Jul, 2011

I need to add, that I attended Capella University with the idea that I might be able to teach at a Community College eventually. Then, as I did some more research, I learned that Community Colleges often pay "slave wages" (this was a term I heard not one but THREE different faculty members in three different states use to describe their salary). If you enjoy your work, then I think that probably the wages are adequate, but often these faculty members were underpaid for the hours they worked. Add on top of that the problem of having exorbitant loans to repay and the fact that Capella won't send out your transcripts because they've managed to freeze your account due to supposedly unpaid balances and you've got quite a problem. If the cost of attending Capella was more in the line with the actual salary that you would be paid upon graduating and getting a job, then I would agree about its importance for STUDENTS and the general public. As it is, I can see that Capella provides an important resource for COMMUNITY COLLEGES because people arrive there desperate for money, desperate for a job, trying to pay off that big loan they've got sitting there.

• Ak
      6th of Jan, 2012

I started for a week. had to stop due to family medical emergency, They are still trying to get the "cost" of the semester from me. They said I wasn't enrolled officially or long enough for my FAFSA to be applied . So how was it official acceptance enough to accumulate a bill ? I did not participate long enough to qualify for the aid, yet I stayed too long to withdraw> It has been a horrible experience of nothing but double speak trying to demand payment from a NON accepted - NON participating enrolled candidate. Do yourself a favor, go anywhere else.

• Nf
      24th of Feb, 2012

Best of luck to you. I hope it works out with your next employer.

• St
      25th of Oct, 2013

They don't hold true to their own policy and protocols. Those are in place to protect them from their student body and liability issues from their true incompetence. There is plenty of that to go around. It is well documented that they spend three times the amount of funding on marketing than student instruction; another half of which is spent on legal council to pick up their messes. It is a shame they can give millions to lobbyist to advocate for their substandard degrees taking advantage of anyone who works hard, wants to better themselves so they can line their pockets with taxpayer funding. What a fraud they are and how they have scammed the entire country. I would never let my own children go to any for-profit and Capella heads up the list of worst offenders. We need alternatives to private and public who should also not be exonerated from bad behavior by those who might benefit but this isn't it. No accountability or real power over their money stream equates to poor instruction, service, little compassion and terrible standards of ethics and academic honesty. Something must be done as bait and switch is really a crime. It is also well documented that their financial aid office was on the take, that they were paying other schools to direct undergraduates into their programs, and that they have had numerous lawsuits from their own insurance company who found them to be dishonest, corporate share holders, students, and instructors in addition to their flagrant violations of FERPA. They left many students in the lurch when they changed the program after failing to get APA accreditation despite the fact that most people need to get licensed in order to pay back the loans if nothing goes wrong and they get their degrees eventually. It also would appear that they milk the dissertation process for whatever dime they can squeeze. It's all about the money money money and if you become a problem they will destroy your life completely without remorse. Go anywhere else. They have kicked many intelligent people to the curb who were unaware of the thugs that work there. These are not at all professionals with your interests at heart or even academic but puppets who dance to the strings of Wall Street's greed and is it ever corrupt. One of the worst things is their ability to ignore you as their is no recourse, and online can be a recipe for abuse if students dare to voice concerns or expect academic freedom.

• He
      24th of May, 2016

I am a current student and my experience has been horrible. My first instructor set me up for failure by giving me one or 2 word responses I had to take my first course twice. I called my tutor for help no response. You get their voicemail. I want to withdraw but it is past the 12 calander day policy. So I am going to suck it up and complete the course and transfer to a different school that actually cares about the sucess of their students. Horrible experience run!

29th of Jun, 2016

Greetings All –
    Sorry to hear Capella’s been a big disappointment for us. After attending and spending 100k, they withdrew me and denied my appeal for an extension. I’m all for following policies and procedures but its difficult, when there forever changing. The program is scam geared to benefit Capella. I'd like to joing anyone looking to file a class action suit. Please email at cghumphrey@hotmail.com

• Di
      22nd of Feb, 2018

I enrolled in the DBA program from 2014 to 2018. As I was in a short track (10 quarter track), I supposedly graduated in 2016 but had to withdraw in 2018. My only negative experience is with my mentor. And that seems good enough to stop me from completing the program.

He continued using a delay tactic to offer me no feedback, no response, and NS grades to extend my continuing enrollment. My complaint and request for mentor change was denied by the school. So my mentor continued his business as usual, holding me hostage in retaliation of my request. One time he yelled at me while another committee member was in the conference call, stating 'that will cost you a doctorate.' With the help of my advisor, everything seemed to work fine after my request was denied. However, the advisor had to set up conference calls for me and my mentor when I need to ask him anything as he became unavailable if I tried to contact him directly. One day I just received an email that confirmed my advisor's retirement. The next advisor quit after a couple of months trying to help me. Overall, the advisors have worked dilligently to help learners succeed. Yet the obstacles were so great that they rendered the advisors ineffective.

I thought if I endured my sufferings and kept following the process, I could finish the work and be rewarded at the end. But I was wrong. After receiving the full committee's approval and 2 quarters later, I found that the school deferred my paper three times, citing chapter 2 needed to be rewritten. My mentor's instruction for me did not help change the school's opinion. And no one was willing to tell me what to do. My mentor offerred a conference call with me. But after I gave him my availability, he just disappeared.

From my experience, I can tell that my mentor and the school partnered to cheat me out of my doctorate. And the cheating process was well coordinated. The only thing I do not understand is that Capella as a public company also cheats its shareholders as the auditors probably look away and let Capella continue its deceiving practices. I read a lot of complaints about the school but did not believe any of them until the worst happened to me.

22nd of Feb, 2018

Very disturbing, but unfortunately, your Capella 'complaints'/'issues' are the same among the 80+ in our group. And, your experiences delay tactics, mentor changes, mentors disappearing/not responding timely - all which happened with me too, and I'm certain there are 1000s more out there. University of Phoenix settled a lawsuit with its students a few years back, so Capella's unfair, deceptive business practices, illegal & unethical conduct is NO DIFFERENT, NO BETTER!

johnleebass@gmail.com

• Ki
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Capella University - A racist assignment

This assignment is not only misleading but also directly calling African American people who are of low socioeconomic status negative based upon their status in society. The alcohol reference also hint toward alcohol being associated with African Americans of low socioeconomic status without any supportive facts.

• Vi
      22nd of Oct, 2018
    Capella University - Classroom Assignment Submission

My Unit 8 and Unit 9 assignments PSY1000 were submitted on time to both Turnitin and to the instructor Diane Snyder and someone is actually posting my assignments at a later time. I spoke to someone regarding Unit 8 assignment and no changes have been made and no one responded to my complaint.

• Ka
      12th of Nov, 2018
    Capella University - Fraud!
    capella.com

I planned to attend, but they said they never could get my financial aid to go through. I never took classes, bc of that reason. Now I am being billed over $3, 000. And has now been reported against my credit! I sent multiple emails and never got a response!!!