Cane Corso Rescue / Fraud

1 TX, United States Review updated:

We have fostered many dogs for the Cane Corso Rescue. The woman who runs the rescue is Liz Sawyers- Robles. She comes off to be a sweet person, but after a year of dealing with her I know better. She should be a politician or a sales person that's how good her lies are. She collects money for dogs she does not have. Puts the story up on the CCAA Forum to generate money and doesn't even have the animal. If someone asks her to explain she will post some other dogs up that need vet care and tells the people who asked for their donations back that the money can go to other dogs. I am contacting all her local agencies. My family was hurt by this woman's schemes.

Comments

• Ra
      19th of Mar, 2010

I have been a volunteer for the Cane Corso Rescue for quite a while now and only have wonderful things to say about this organization. It is run by a great group of ladies who care about the well being of every dog that they have saved, even after they are adopted into great homes. This isn't just your average local rescue, it is nationwide, with volunteers everywhere. They work relentlessly to help dogs who are sick, malnourished, or have behavioral issues so that these dogs can be rehabilitated and find their forever homes. I work with several rescue organizations, but I must say that the Cane Corso Rescue is the most organized rescue with the largest number of volunteers I have ever seen. I think the reason that they have so many great people willing to volunteer is because once you are in contact with this group, you want to recruit anyone you know to help them in their efforts to save these dogs in need. Liz does not run the rescue, it is run by a board of directors, so whoever wrote this complaint must not know much about the rescue to begin with. The board of directors is made up of very caring, honest, and genuine people who work their tails off to save Cane Corsos in need all over the country.

19th of Mar, 2010

The above complaint was written by a foster/volunteer who was asked to never contact Cane Corso Rescue Inc again because they refused to follow the policies and procedures established by the Board of Directors of Cane Corso Rescue Inc. numerous times. Though they did not sign their name, Cathy and Jay Kreshover of Langorne, PA have fostered a total 2 two dogs for the organization and unfortunately, the most recent dog that they were fostering will not be returned to them because they refuse to abide by our ethical practices set forth by the Board of Directors. I am sure they are upset about their mistakes, but to make up lies in order to "get back" at a nonprofit organization that does great work all over the country! Shame, shame on them.

Cane Corso Rescue Inc, composed of a Board of Directors including Liz, has all the dogs listed on their National website in various foster homes all over the country. As a nonprofit organization, Cane Corso Rescue collects money from generous donors, fundraisers, etc in order to supplement the money raised from adoption donations, in order to pay for shelter pull fees and vet bills. After all, this is how a nonprofit organization works. In addition, before a dog requiring significant medical care can be taken in by the organization, fundraising has to be done. No organization can simply pull a dog requiring thousands of dollars in vet care without having the money! Again, this makes no sense to the Kreshover family, as they have never been willing or able to listen or follow our policies and procedures. Fraud? Absolutely not. But, when you are upset at your mistakes, I guess it is easy to make up stuff to slander someone and an organization (something that is currently being handled by our attorney).

We are a highly reputable National Rescue with many, many supporters! We are the only breed specific, National Cane Corso Rescue. Any questions can be directed to the BOD at [protected]@yahoogroups.com. Once again, as continues to not be understood by the Kreshover family, all decisions are made by the Board of Directors. No one single person makes executive decisions.

Sincerely,
    Liz Sawyers-Robles
    Cane Corso Rescue Inc
    TX Cane Corso Rescue
    www.canecorsorescue.org

• Fo
      27th of Mar, 2010

No mistakes were made only by the rescue. The Kreshover fostered 4 dogs total from the rescue. The lack of communication from Liz Sawyers " Founder of the Cane Corso rescue", lack of medications promised for the fostered animals, lack of proper information. The Kreshovers let her know that the last foster dog would be their last as the frustration level had rose to an all time high. Its a shame that Liz felt the need to try to bash a family that had huge vets bills for sick dogs coming into her house and infecting their animals, medications, food, gas. Now I know that there are tons of success stories but the rescue needs a lesson in ethics. And to think this woman works with people children. Shame on her!

• Vo
      26th of May, 2011

What are people children? Just wondering because I've never hear of that term used in the English language.

• Re
      16th of Apr, 2012

I completely agree with the "Fosters" comment. I had the exact same negative experience. She was also fundraising for her own pet. I think the other individuals involved have good intentions. Get rid of Liz and I would work with you again.

• Do
      13th of Jun, 2013

My love of the dogs has blinded me to the truth until I spent thousands of our money to save a darling dog that arrived too ill to eat. The dog is physically safe now but the mental problems were never mentioned before the adoption. It will cost so much more but I will never return this sweet angel. The rescue swears that there have never been complaints but I visit this site and learn that this statement may not be true, There are many ethical rescues out there. Keep looking and you will find one. Based on my experience, this might not be it. I am happy I could afford save the family dog because there would be so much heartbreak but I worry about the others.

9th of Aug, 2013

I don't know much about the financial aspects of what is going on with the organization but I do know that I found a dog, paid for vet bills out of pocket, paid for a weeks kennel but the rest was picked up by the generosity and hard work of the Cane Corso Rescue. They paid an extra 3 weeks of kennel, found a foster mom, got transportation to get the dog there, had the dog neutered, got the dog all necessary shots and then found the dog a suitable home. One lucky dog, that's all I can say! They may not be perfect but they're pretty darn good. I'm sure there was no intention of placing a sickly dog with a family. A lot of these adoptions are done with dogs sight unseen from around the country. I just got an update from the dog's owner and she's doing great. I couldn't be happier.

9th of Aug, 2013

What I will say is it takes time for Liz to get back to people but then she's got a job and a family and does all of this in her spare time. That's to be expected.

• Sh
      25th of Oct, 2015
    Best Best Advice

I agree with concernedccmom's complaint whole heartedly. I am hurt and disgusted by this organization and by Liz. I have been treated very poorly. The dog I adopted didn't work out. I realized that a cane corso wasn't for me and I knew that he needed to be re-homed. Liz treated me horribly. Sometimes a dog isn't a good fit. It happens. But you will be treated like dirt should you experience this at Cane Corso Rescue. I have been lied to, I have been lied about by Liz to her group. And a bunch of people who are involved in the rescue are currently bashing me on social media. I have the messages to prove it. They don't even know me. It is disgusting what they are saying. They hide behind their computers and rip me apart for making a decision to give this dog a better life. I knew he couldn't thrive with me, so if it wouldn't be a good match, why would I keep him in my home when he could have a better life? One person called me "disturbed" and another person made a remark that "I'm using his prey drive towards my cat as an excuse not to pay for him anymore." Cyber bullying is a huge issue - which has led many to end their lives. I take this very seriously and it speaks volumes about how the organization is run. To the others that have commented on this site saying they had negative experiences: it makes me feel not as alone, and I understand where you all are coming from.

8th of Nov, 2015

Sarah,
    I understand you are not happy with the way your adoption turned out. However, let's consider everything here. I spoke with you multiple times about the dogs, the temperaments, what type of situations I felt each dog discussed would thrive in, etc. Because we normally don't adopt to people with living situations like yours, I even required the volunteer doing the home visit to be sure your entire family was present. I wanted to be sure everyone was on board with the adoption. I have, in writing, things discussed with your mom and your other personal references. Our volunteers did their due diligence with the entire process. Then, I set up and coordinated a 11hr + VOLUNTEER transport of the dog you chose directly to you! I wanted the best for you, your family, and our dog. I have text after text after text showing all the support I provided you. I did my very best to help you and even put 2 other volunteers in touch with you to help you with the cat integration. Oh, don't forget that I helped you when your brother was scared of the new dog, resulting in growling! After less than 48hrs, I did text you to say that maybe this dog wasn't the right match for you. As stated during the interview, in the contract you signed, and in a text personally to you (on your mom's cell phone), I told you that I would happily take the dog back but I needed until the following weekend to arrange foster and transport. I stated I would try for the weekend that was approaching (but it was already Thursday). I followed through with exactly what I promised! And, that very dog is doing fantastic in foster care, and about to go to his new home.

You and your mom claim that I lied about him being cat tested?! I even have photos of the dog with a cat!!! In addition, I put his foster mom directly in touch with you. How much more honest and direct can you get!! You spoke to the person who had him in foster care for a month AND you received pictures of him with a cat. I don't know what more I could have done?

I am sorry that you feel the way you do, but there are a lot of things mentioned above that are incorrect. I want to address one last thing. Yes, I do run CCR. However, though I have built CCR from the ground up, I can't monitor everyone's comments on social media. I didn't even see any comments until your mom sent me multiple threatening emails. The person that wrote the comments is NOT even a friend of mine on FB. I had to ask around to find out who she was and how she knew you. She actually drove almost 6hrs to help get your dog to you and she was found by a CCR volunteer. How can I be responsible for everyone? Let's be realistic, I don't have the time, the negative intent, nor the interest in bashing others. It is as simple as that! I am sorry that the adoption didn't work out, but I handled the situation exactly as promised.

• Ti
      10th of Nov, 2015

As a fellow rescuer, I have worked with Liz and Cane Corso Rescue for many years. Liz has saved thousands of dogs who otherwise would have been euthanized. With such a large organization it is impossible to please everyone- from volunteers to adopters. The first lady complained that CCR is fundraising without actually having the dog in their possession. FYI, rescuers are contacted by shelters who have dogs that they want us to take. Quite often, the dogs have medical issues. A rescue can't take one of these dogs without the funds to treat them. We can't just have faith that the funds will come after we take the dog! That is why the funds are raised beforehand. This is not fraud. Fraud is raising funds on a dog that you know you are not getting. And how exactly was your family hurt by fundraising on a dog that CCR hadn't gotten yet???? To "shock and repulsed20", the adopter who complained about Liz' behavior when her CC didn't work out for her, don't you think you should have done your own due diligence on the breed before deciding to adopt one? Liz worked so hard to get a transport arranged to get the dog you wanted to you. Apparently you saw pictures of him with a cat with no problems AND you spoke to the person who had fostered him. How exactly was she supposed to know that he wouldn't like YOUR cat? She gave you the information she had. FYI, many dogs will act differently in different situations and homes.( "doglover111", you may want to take note of this as well) He acted one way at the foster home but apparently different in your home. Then you decided to give him back after realizing a Corso wasn't the breed for you. She worked tirelessly to get a transport for that weekend. Remember she also had to find a place for him to go as well. On top of all of this, she has 2 small children, a husband and a full time job. She is NOT paid by CCR- she does it because she loves it. And she can not control anything anyone else says. Nor can you. You should understand this. Being called "disturbed" and someone else saying you are using his prey drive towards your cat as an excuse not to pay for him anymore is not cyberbullying. Pull up your big girl panties and stop being so sensitive. I'm sure you've been called worse.

12th of Nov, 2015

I am thoroughly repulsed at how this agency is handling this situation. What kind of sick person does this to someone. And really you are saying that bashing somebody you have never talked to or even met on social media is not cyberbullying and that I am sure you have not been called worse that is exactly what cyberbullying is and this is coming from grown adults.

4th of Dec, 2017

Just wait.

4th of Jan, 2018

I thoroughly agree that you guys are 100% correct about the terrible, nasty, low life character of Bruce and Liz Robles after having a horrible experience with one of their dogs brutally attacking my wife. This 130 pound dog had already attacked 2 other people and they were fully aware of the previous attacks. I have all of the animal control records that prove this. Then, immediately after the attack they told me that they were trying to find the info on the rescue, which I had to find out through the secretary of state's website that they run the company. They said they contacted animal control, and when I finally realized they were trying to pull the shades over my eyes and called animal control myself, they had no record of the attack! They completely refused to give me any insurance information while they kept lying to me telling me they had it covered and that I did not understand how insurance works. I have had 11 total loss vehicles in my lifetime, and I handle the liability for a $25 million construction company, so luckily I saw straight through their lies right away. When they finally filed a claim 4 days later, at the end of the day on a Friday, their insurance agent said he was told she just had "one little bite to the butt and a few stiches". She spent 4 days between 2 hospitals, and was sent to the operating room twice during her stay, to the tune of about $70K in bills. After that, I packed wounds for about 100 days. I despise these people, and their scam of a rescue. I strongly suggest steering clear of these horrible, nasty, lying, low life, [censor]! I started screen shotting everything right away, and have all of the documentation to back this complaint up. It's also kind of strange that the state's website shows that this non profit is currently in a tax forfeiture status.

4th of Jan, 2018

@Hellomynameis To top it off, they used to be our friends. I cannot see how someone could treat a friend like that. I deal with lots of liability in the construction field, and have time and time again treated complete strangers with more courtesy and respect than that. It's mind blowing.

17th of Feb, 2019

@Hellomynameis Holy cow I hope your wife is doing better 😲 Am guessing said dog was put down? Do you or did the resue have any info were the dog came from? And what kinda bite history did it have? Because most if not all CCR rescues will NOT take a aggressive dog!

17th of Feb, 2019

@Cane corso lover Wife is doing better now. She was the 3rd person the dog attacked. They had the full records on the dog, including the statement from the original owner saying the dog "will bite at everyone". I have a copy of the full records from animal control. Same records that were reviewed by CCR which fully describe in detail how dangerous this dog was. It's about 130 pages of documents. Its appalling and blows my mind that both animal control and CCR ever let my wife come in contact with that dog without telling her about his history. I got in touch with the original owner of the dog, who personally spoke to liz about the dog and he was blown away that the dog had not been put down prior to being introduced to my wife after he released it to animal control, before CCR got the dog.

The dog was quarantined for 10 days until austin animal control released it back in to their custody! He was not put down!! I'm certain they changed the dogs name and sent it to another state to continue using him to collect "donations" to support their lavish lifestyle. I'm totally let down by all of it and will never support or do anything with any rescue in austin. No kill agreements like they have in austin is all about the money and nothing more. It's terrible.

I dont use strong words like this often, but I hate these people and this rescue to a very strong passion!

17th of Feb, 2019

@Cane corso lover My lawyer took our case on contingancy without question base on the facts. We won the lawsuit with ease based on the facts. None of this is exaggerated or made up in any way. They are terrible terrible people.