Canadian Tire / Yardworks Cordless Reel Lawnmower / it simply does not cut the grass properly!

1 Canada Review updated:

Bought the Yardworks Cordless Reel Lawnmower (model [protected]) in May 2007 from Canadian Tire in Winnipeg. Used it twice before I realized that buying this mower was a great mistake. It simply does not cut the grass properly. Called customer service to voice my complaint and was told that I could not get a refund or exchange because it was used. Sent an e-mail to head office asking for a refund and challenged their policy on used items, asking: how can one know if something works unless you use it at least once? Didn't receive a direct answer regarding a refund or exchange. The last I heard, Customer Service was going to send my correspondence to their buying office for review. I 'll be surprised if I ever hear from them again... I believe this is another stall tactic on their part. My advice: don't shop at Canadian Tire and don't ever buy a Yardworks lawnmower.

Comments

Ke
  22nd of Jul, 2007

It is the worst lawnmower I have ever owned. Moved to downtown Toronto and I have no need for a large mower and I thought this one would do the trick at $250. It is piece of garbage. No matter how many times you go over the same spot pieces of grass are sticking up. And the bag does not fill properly. More grass is spewed all over than is caught in the bag.

Ri
  30th of Jul, 2007

This is an update concerning The Yardworks, cordless reel lawnmower that I purchased from Canadian Tire. After discussing my dilemma with the owner, I returned the mower on Sunday (July 29) and was given a full refund. Thank you Canadian Tire... you restored my faith in dealing fairly with customers!

Li
  2nd of Aug, 2007

I strongly agree - we purchased one and used it once - thought maybe we just got a dud but obviously it isn't going to get any better so ours is going back to Canadian Tire.

Jo
  6th of Aug, 2007

I see that quite a lot of people are having problems with Yardworks products.

I purchased a 125' vinyl reel hose from Canadian Tire some 3 years ago. The guarantee on the literature stated 10 years. The hose busted away from the brass coupling and I tried to get some satisfaction from Canadian Tire. First, I found that the hose was discontinued a year ago. So much for the long guarantee of 10 years. This thing about guarantees, in my opinion is just an dishonest ply to get people to buy. Obviously Canadian Tire do not expect people to save their documentation, but I did. All Canadian Tire would do was give two cheap hoses, one 100' and another 50", and I had to pay the difference in price from that which was the price on the original receipt. The guarantee now is but 4 years.

Anyway I am just not letting this go. Soon as I can I am contacting the BBB, Better Business Bureau about my situation. There has to be something that can be done to stop this highway robbery. Most people cant deal with this kind of problem and hence just drop it so as to keep sane. Ive had so many bad encounters with Canadian Tire, so now Ive decided to fight back. F... them and their dishonesty.

1st of Sep, 2007

I'll add my experience with my Yardworks cordless 19" rotary mower Model 60-1767-6. It's just over 2 years old and won't hold a charge more than about 5 minutes. I think the battery is shot. I did call the company support line only to find the model's been discontinued with no parts available. You can guess where it's made. More junk from overseas and it cost $300. So much for the environmental friendliness of this design. I have yet to call Canadian tire about this quality product they sell but since its over warranty who knows what if anything they can do.Maybe I'll try to source a higher quality battery and try to fix it myself. Last yardworks product I ever buy, the name goes on before the quality goes in.

Gu
  7th of Oct, 2007

my complaint is that I purchase a two wheeled self dumping wheelbarrow (6 cubic feet) and after a year all the rubber is cracking. (wheel tires and handle grips) and it's guarantee for four years. What is?........ Who do we contact.

Ba
  11th of Nov, 2007

Same song. My yard works 60-1767-6 cordless mower won't hold a charge either. Bought it in 2006 and didn't work in 2007. Was going to look into buying a new battery but doesn't sound like that is possible, as per D. Sauders above. Pile of junk!

Do
  29th of Apr, 2008

We tried the same reel mower and it was a piece of crap! We returned it and purchased the Yardworks 24V / 20" 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower for quite a few more dollars and so far we are happy with the mower but the service from Canadian Tire sucks big time!

They carry a dethatcher blade for just about every other mower there is EXCEPT THIS ONE and they make no apologies about it, that is just the way it is according to both the store we purchased it at here in Calgary and the customer service department.

My advise to anyone concerned about after sales service is to stay as far away from Canadian Tire as you can or you will be as dissapointed as the rest of us are! Go to Home Depot or RONA as they have proven over and over again that they know how to look after their customers!

Bt
  15th of May, 2008

Bought a Yardworks 60-1767-6 a couple of weeks ago. Charged it overnight and tried it only once on medium length grass where the area of the yard was only about 2500 squre feet. Grass clippings seemed not be be able to get in the bag since the clippings seem to get jamed in the opening leading to the bag from the mower; am guessing the mower was simply not powerful enough to propell the grass into the bag. Motor also seems to to stall in the medium length grass when the height of the mower was set at 2.5 inches; only got better if I left it at the maximum height setting. After the mowing (which lasted for 35 minutes), the indicator light was on red already meaning it had less than 20% charge.

Called the support number for Yardworks the following day to find out why this mower was working so poorly. After I gave the receptionist the model number I was put through to the department dealing with lawnmowers. Left 2 voice mails on two separate days and no response.

Not receiving any response from Yardworks, on the fourth day after the purchase I called Canadian Tire's customer service department who advised me that since the mower had been used (once) and since it was not defective, I was unable to get a refund or store credit since their warranty is for defects and NOT a satisfaction guarantee. Though sympathetic, the service representative stated that since it was used at least once already, it would be impossible for them to re-sell it thus it was basically buyer beware.

Five days after I originally bought the 60-1767-6, I went back to the store where I bought it, spoke at length to the store manager (nice guy) and showed him excerpts from this forum as well as several news articles stating that that 60-1767 mower had been recalled in 2003 due to fire safety concern(www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/recalls/reclfull/2003/05asept2003.html). I think he knew I was extremely disgruntled with this machine since I told him I was willing to even take a store credit at half the purchasing price. He tested the mower, thought about it, and gave me a full refund.

Anyway, have since checked around to purchase a GAS powered mower since I will never go electric again due to the poor power and discovered Canadian Tire and Rona appears to be the only chains that will NOT take back a used mower due to unsatisfactory performance. Note I said "appears" since other companies TOLD me they will take machines back (some with fairly hefty 're-stocking fees') due to unsatisfactory performance though I haven't gotten anything in writing yet.

By the way, now that it has been two weeks since I left voice mail messages with Yardworks, I still haven't received a response from them; I think we all know why.

Au
  24th of May, 2008

I am in the middle of a struggle with C.T. over my Yardworks 24V 60-1767-6. It was purchased at end of mowing season September 2006. First problem was that it was a floor model. I had to phone and push and shove for a year before I got an owner's manual. I used it for one season and it worked well. I kept it on charge all winter and went to use it this spring, nothing. So, I called C.T. and they ordered me a battery on warranty. While waiting, I had to hire out to have my lawn mowed. Battery came in, it was completely the wrong battery. I just phoned them again and am waiting for them to call back about getting me the right battery. Meanwhile, my grass is growing and due for another cutting. And I have no working lawn mower. After reading the above, I guess they won't be able to find me a battery. A refund or at least an exchange would be nice. I would sure hate to have to end up with a $300 pile of junk and then still have to buy a new lawn mower.

Au
  24th of May, 2008

Update on my post 2 hours ago.
Thanks to the information I learned here, I felt better equipped to argue my case in regards to this situation.
When C.T. called me back, as I had already learned here, they said they were not able to replace my battery. They offered me a full credit towards the purchase of a new mower provided I had my receipt. Thank goodness I did. So, I hauled the mower to the store and paid $70 to get a new one. Yes, I did buy another Yardworks cordless. I'm thinking that perhaps they have improved it over the years. I am pleased with the end result. I am anxious to attack the weeds once the battery charges.
So I am still a Canadian Tire fan. Whether or not I am a Yardworks fan remains to be seen.

25th of May, 2008

I have a Yardworks mower. It worked great in year one and is a good choice for a small yard. However in year two it did not hold battery charge. As it works out you are supposed to charge the battery every month in the winter and keep it heated. I did this to the letter this winter and my mover is pretty mediocre after first use this year. I am going back to CT today, so here is hoping for good luck. I like the conept of the battery mower, but the yardworks battery is simply not adequate, even with proper care.

25th of May, 2008

To clarify my previous comment, I got a new battery on warranty last year, so the battery that does not work now was new last year and has been properly serviced. Just an poorly engineered product.

Ke
  27th of May, 2008

I have had a Yardworks 60-1767-6 for a few years, maybe 4, I am not sure, since it was a Father's day gift.
Battery charging after the first year was a challenge as it barely lasted an hour.
This year the charging connection is intermittent but as other people have found out nobody at Yardworks returnes voicemail. I am hoping it lasts another year or so, but it owes me money. It never cut that well and the strength and staying power of the battery is very suspect.
I kept it charged all year in a semi heated garage and it gives me enough power to cut short to medium length grass for 3/4 of an hour.
Yardworks won't be on my list for a new mower or Canadian Tire for that matter after hearing these stories.

Ru
  28th of May, 2008

I have the Yardworks 14" battery mower and the battery lasted one season. I bought another battery and it too only lasted one season. Very very poor quality batteries. I really like the mower, but buying a new battery every year is ###ed. So, skip these lead-acid based units and get a Li-On.

Ju
  4th of Jun, 2008

Canadian Tire Gave us our money back today. We purchased a Yard Works 60-1767-6 in may 2006, 2 years ago. The mower would not hold a charge, when we looked at the battery it was easy to see the bagged out side of one of them. It was never frozen, and was stored in-doors for the winter, it was not able to mow thick grass at any time, and was like pushing a wheelchair through .sand while mowing, heavy . We used the mower aprox 30+ less than 45 times in total, It cost $340.00, about 8-11$ a mow.Our Canadian Tire called Yardworks and Yardworks Hung up on them. It was not a pretty scene at the store. However we printed these pages and stood our ground, and we did O.K. I liked no cord or gas, just wish it worked.

Ro
  7th of Jun, 2008

Yardworks stuff is crap. Bought hose nozzel, first time we used it, the pivot broke; CTC refuses to warranty it without "proof of Purchase" - hell, they are the only ones to sell it, and it was on my CC, surely that's good enough - NOPE - has to be the printed receipt.
Yardworks will "wear" the nozzel & will never buy aything else of theirs.

Wo
  7th of Jun, 2008

Ross Wakefield like so many other complete idiots cant read english. On the back of your recipt it would say that you need it for any and all returns, warranties, and inquiries. So go back to grade two you little whiny ### and learn to read.

Ro
  10th of Jun, 2008

Bought 2 Yardworks 1/2" brass hose joiner kits from Can. Tire and found out after cutting the hose and inserting the 1/2" brass connector into the hose and trying to place the stainless steel clamp over the rubber hose it just wouldn't go. The clamps were also 1/2" and could not be placed over the hose as it was larger. The clamps should have been at least 3/4" diameter so it could easily fit over the hose and then be tightened as the instructions stated. What rocket scientist at YARDWORKS CANADA figured this one out. And to go back and wait in line to purchase the correct size clamps, forget it. Its bad enough that they have only 3 cash open when there are 50 people waiting in line to pay. I guess YARDWORKS and CANADIAN TIRE are one of the same. So, thats it, zero tolerence for stupidity. Hello RENO-DEPOT.

Jo
  17th of Jun, 2008

Could some one post the number for yard works, can find my manual and either my battery is dead or my charger will not work. I found it odd that i could not find a website for yard works either.